Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Finlaggan

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Finlaggan

Postby Ganga » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:21 pm

Mikey and I tried a series of Finlaggan's last Friday based on the various bottle codes. Here are some initial thoughts and I look forward to seeing what others experience has been.

1. There certainly is a difference in color between some of the batches.
2. Definitely some difference in the aromas and palates.
3. It seems that there are a few different distilleries that have been bottled under this name.
4. Nothing reminded me of Bowmore nor Lagavulin.
5. Likely candidates are Laphroaig and Caol Ila. One reminded us of Ardbeg. Another was like a peated Bunnie.
6. Some worked with dark chocolate to varying degrees. One was awful with the dark chocolate.

So, what have your experiences been with "this whisky"?
Ganga
Matured cask

Re: Finlaggan

Postby bond » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:06 am

I had sampled Finlaggan a few years ago. My sister was coming in from the U.S. and the store keeper hard-sold this whisky over Ardbeg .

Certainly not on my list of favourites. Very nondescript flavour profile. One of the few whiskies that get a sub-5 score from me on a scale of 10.

Cheers
bond
Gold Member

Re: Finlaggan

Postby mikeymad » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:04 pm

I agree with ganga, it was an interesting tasting run. I am going to have them again with a tasting group around here, and see what they have to say. Might add a few more batches to the set. They are not great whiskies, some better than others, but they are good for the price that is for sure.

Cheers,
mikeymad
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder