Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Where to start...

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Where to start...

Postby r900p » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:53 am

Okay well the girlfriend doesn't drink whisky, instead Cointreau on ice.

But her mother occasionally has a famous grouse, now she knows i drink/collect whisky so she fancies trying the odd one, but i have no clue where to start.

Which route would i therefore go down?

1)Look for bottle similar to FG
2)Start with a lowland
3)or go the deepend and get straight in with the Islay's becuase thats what i like.

Thoughts please and suggestions of bottles to try.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Re: Where to start...

Postby les taylor » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:55 am

Rob shame about the girlfriend :wink:

As for her mother, I'd start low and go on to the Islay's. Maybe start with a Glenmo the original, Glenlivet 12 or a HP 12. I reckon that should be a good place to start.
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby ClubSmed » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:59 am

I would probably suggest Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban
ClubSmed
Gold Member

Postby SoMK » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:01 pm

Start sweet.. I tried this with a heathen friend of mine and I created a monster :lol:
Auchentoshan 10, Glenmorangie, Glenfarclas 12 and work your way up ... ?
SoMK
Gold Member

Postby lockejn » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:49 pm

I would second the Glenfarclas 12.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby johan brugge » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:52 pm

I would start with a Speyside whisky before you let her try an Islay one. You need to get used to the peaty and smokey flavours. I'm thinking any kind of Balvenie or a Glenfiddich 15yo Solera Reserve.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby borgom » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:18 pm

I'd go for smooth whiskies that aren't too woody or too young. Sherried whiskies could be a good start if she's a red wine drinker.
Some suggestions - Balvenie DW, Glenfarclas 21, Glenfiddich 18, Black Bush, The Macallan 12.
Maybe Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or or even Drambuie on ice if she has a sweet tooth.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:30 pm

If she likes the Famous Grouse, then a 12-year old Highland Park or Macallan would appear to represent a natural progression. That said, I'm also very tempted to recommend a super-premium blend as the next logical (and somewhat non-committal) step... something along the lines of an 18-year Grant's Reserve or Chivas or JW Gold Label. That 17-year old Islay Mist I'm presently pounding my way through is yet another tastily attractive option.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby pkt77242 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:43 pm

The Third Dram wrote:If she likes the Famous Grouse, then a 12-year old Highland Park or Macallan would appear to represent a natural progression.

I second this Macallan 12 or HP 12. Though a Vatted Malt Famous Grouse would also work. I have seen a 12 and 18 at reasonable prices.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:53 pm

If you can, I'd bring a spectrum of whiskies especially the ones you like. Pour contrasting whiskies. I did this a month ago with an Imperial (bourbon), Aberlour (sherry finish) and Lagavulin 16. It provides them an opportunity to look at a range of things together.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby johan brugge » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:59 pm

Ganga wrote:If you can, I'd bring a spectrum of whiskies especially the ones you like. Pour contrasting whiskies. I did this a month ago with an Imperial (bourbon), Aberlour (sherry finish) and Lagavulin 16. It provides them an opportunity to look at a range of things together.

That is an excellent idea! What would we do whithout you Ganga??
johan brugge
Double Gold Member

Postby r900p » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:57 am

Ganga wrote:If you can, I'd bring a spectrum of whiskies especially the ones you like. Pour contrasting whiskies. I did this a month ago with an Imperial (bourbon), Aberlour (sherry finish) and Lagavulin 16. It provides them an opportunity to look at a range of things together.

I like that Ganga, as i don't want to scare her off by giving her the wrong one to start this may be a good ideal. I have the Aber and Laga and a couple of bourbons so i could quite easily do it.

Highland Park 12 as some has suggested is one of my staple malts so that is easy too.

But then premium blends, i want to try JW and Black Bush

oh the decisions.

I'm hoping once girlfriend sees mother trying it she'll try it too.

Cheers folks.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder