Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Newbie Taste... Speyburn and Glenmorangie

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Newbie Taste... Speyburn and Glenmorangie

Postby Tightwad » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:23 pm

Being a newbie dont expect me to pick up all the aromas and flavors. Im writing these reviews to give people a feel for how a "new" palate might experience a Whisky. I will be giving a 0-3 Rating on a Whisky from now on.

0 = Will not finish
1 = Will not buy again
2 = May buy again
3 = Will buy again

Speyburn 10yo 43% (Rating: 2)
Nose - Weak, apples, simple
Mouth - Thin
Palate - Apples, Cinnamon, Sugar, simple, not complex, moderate alcohol.
Finish - Moderate Alcohol, otherwise mild and short.
Water - Turns it bitter
Note: Would be a good first Whisky if it took better to water and had less alcohol burn.

Glenmorangie 10yo 43% (Rating: 1)
Nose - Lemon, Fruit, Complex
Mouth - Moderate
Taste - Lemon, Fruit, Sugar, Complex, Bitter Aspirin
Finish - Severe Alcohol, Sugar, Bitter Aspirin
Water: Simply mellows it out and reduces the bitter aspirin.
Note: Taste like I dumped BC Powders in it.

Conclusions:
Speyburn 10yo 43%
Other than being a little mellow and the flavors being a little to mild to hide the alcohol I dont see whats so bad about Speyburn. I could see myself drinking it on a hot summer evening when something lighter is called for.

Glenmorangie 10yo 43%
I really wanted to like this one. I just cant get by the bitter aspirin at this point in my SMSW journey. Sorry Glenmorangie lovers. I may retry with a more experienced palate.

Previous SMSW Experience:
Highland Park 12yo 43% (Rating: 3)
Macallan 12yo "Sherry" 43% (Rating: 3)
Laphroaig 10yo 43% (Rating: 3)
Tightwad

Re: Newbie Taste... Speyburn and Glenmorangie

Postby The Third Dram » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:57 pm

There certainly is a mineral aspect, perhaps attributable to the sourced water, to the 10-year old Glenmorangie (I find, at least). I've described it as, "Crushed apricot stones." Perhaps this characteristic is what you're alluding to?

The whisky's definitely worth a second go, though.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:41 pm

I think Speyburn would benefit for a bump to 46% and no chill filtering and did you add any water to the Glenmorangie?
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Tightwad » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:22 pm

I tried the Glenmorangie 50/50, 90/10 and Straight. The more water the "softer" the bitterness. It was their at all levels though.

I have never cared for mineral water (If thats indeed the cause) so it may just be that Glenmorangie isnt to my taste or it may be I got a bad bottle. I may learn to like it in time or a different bottle may be an entirely different experience. As it currently stands its my least favorite SMSW (Admittedly out of only 5 tried).

Correction: After 24 hours the taste has changed totally. See later post.
Last edited by Tightwad on Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tightwad

Postby Lawrence » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:41 pm

I suspect that over time you'll come to appreciate it...many think it's a stellar whisky.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby lockejn » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:15 am

I also disliked the Glenmorangie 10. As with any whisky you find distasteful, I suggest leaving it on the shelf for a couple months and coming back to it. You may feel very differently about it after you've gained some experience. You may not. But go back to it at least twice with a good break in between before you give up on it for good.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby Tightwad » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:07 pm

CORRECTION: I would edit the original post but that option has expired.

After 24 hours the bitterness of the Glenmorangie is simply gone. I would be inclined to blaim my palate but I dont think that is the issue.

For reference I compared it to HP12 and Mac12 both times and I didnt get any "taste drift" from those. The Glenmorangie was extremely bitter compared to both yesterday. Today their is no sign of this attribute. The only difference (other than 24 hours open) that I can come up with is the fact the Glenmorangie is about 10C warmer today.

Im stumped but appreciative of the much improved Glenmorangie. I will buy another bottle in the future and see if the phenomenon reoccurs.
Tightwad

Postby talisker10 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:36 am

Yes, temperature does make a difference. Also what you have had to eat or drink before having an SMS makes a big difference.
talisker10
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder