Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

My first Lagavulin 16 !!

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Lagavulin 16 Years Old

My first Lagavulin 16 !!

Postby MoreDalmore » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:50 pm

After reading many good things about the Lagavulin 16 I couldn't resist any longer. I was intending to wait until the autumn or winter before entering into Islay territory but as they say the flesh is weak and as I discovered ( again ) today so is the mind :lol: ; so today I just bought my first bottle of Lagavulin 16.

So here are my first impressions ( to be updated after a couple of more drams ).

Colour : much darkes than expected ( keeping Caol Ila 12 in mind ); it clearly shows it's years.

Nose : I poured my first glass and after the initial nosing left the room for about 3 minutes. After re-entering the room I could smell it clearly; this was a first for me! As far as I think I understand the difference between peat and smoke it has a lot more peat on the nose than smoke. It reminds me a bit of HP but stronger :roll: and even a bit sweeter.

Palate : Peaty for this novice to Islay ( the Caol Ila 12 was too long ago ) but whith the nice sweetness as promised by the nose. Can't put a name yet to the sweetness; that will take a couple of more drams ( it's a tough job but 'll manage ) :lol:

Finish : Long and dry; giving much warmth....

Comments : All in all much eacher accessible than I thought it would be and paving the way for many more Islay whiksies to try out!! :D

Not sure they will enter easily in my top 10 ( if at all ) but I like to try new stuff so it will certainly have is change to impress the hell out of me in the coming months and years!! 8)
MoreDalmore
Bronze Member
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:37 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: My first Lagavulin 16 !!

Postby pkt77242 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:53 pm

MoreDalmore wrote:After reading many good things about the Lagavulin 16 I couldn't resist any longer. I was intending to wait until the autumn or winter before entering into Islay territory but as they say the flesh is weak and as I discovered ( again ) today so is the mind :lol: ; so today I just bought my first bottle of Lagavulin 16.

So here are my first impressions ( to be updated after a couple of more drams ).

Colour : much darkes than expected ( keeping Caol Ila 12 in mind ); it clearly shows it's years.

Nose : I poured my first glass and after the initial nosing left the room for about 3 minutes. After re-entering the room I could smell it clearly; this was a first for me! As far as I think I understand the difference between peat and smoke it has a lot more peat on the nose than smoke. It reminds me a bit of HP but stronger :roll: and even a bit sweeter.

Palate : Peaty for this novice to Islay ( the Caol Ila 12 was too long ago ) but whith the nice sweetness as promised by the nose. Can't put a name yet to the sweetness; that will take a couple of more drams ( it's a tough job but 'll manage ) :lol:

Finish : Long and dry; giving much warmth....

Comments : All in all much eacher accessible than I thought it would be and paving the way for many more Islay whiksies to try out!! :D

Not sure they will enter easily in my top 10 ( if at all ) but I like to try new stuff so it will certainly have is change to impress the hell out of me in the coming months and years!! 8)


Nice notes. Laga 16 is a classic.

Sean
User avatar
pkt77242
Matured cask
 
Posts: 10526
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:15 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA

Re: My first Lagavulin 16 !!

Postby johan brugge » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:16 pm

Nice notes indeed but don't let the colour fool you. It's darker because they add spirit caramel to the whisky. When the whisky is maturing, no two casks ever produce an identical colour of spirit as it is felt that consumers would be disturbed to see bottles of malt whisky sitting side by side and yet totally different colours. You can read more about it on this link:
http://www.morrisonbowmore.co.uk/faq.aspx
johan brugge
Double Gold Member
 
Posts: 1472
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:40 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: My first Lagavulin 16 !!

Postby I_SPEY » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:19 pm

pkt77242 wrote:
MoreDalmore wrote:After reading many good things about the Lagavulin 16 I couldn't resist any longer. I was intending to wait until the autumn or winter before entering into Islay territory but as they say the flesh is weak and as I discovered ( again ) today so is the mind :lol: ; so today I just bought my first bottle of Lagavulin 16.

So here are my first impressions ( to be updated after a couple of more drams ).

Colour : much darkes than expected ( keeping Caol Ila 12 in mind ); it clearly shows it's years.

Nose : I poured my first glass and after the initial nosing left the room for about 3 minutes. After re-entering the room I could smell it clearly; this was a first for me! As far as I think I understand the difference between peat and smoke it has a lot more peat on the nose than smoke. It reminds me a bit of HP but stronger :roll: and even a bit sweeter.

Palate : Peaty for this novice to Islay ( the Caol Ila 12 was too long ago ) but whith the nice sweetness as promised by the nose. Can't put a name yet to the sweetness; that will take a couple of more drams ( it's a tough job but 'll manage ) :lol:

Finish : Long and dry; giving much warmth....

Comments : All in all much eacher accessible than I thought it would be and paving the way for many more Islay whiksies to try out!! :D

Not sure they will enter easily in my top 10 ( if at all ) but I like to try new stuff so it will certainly have is change to impress the hell out of me in the coming months and years!! 8)


Nice notes. Laga 16 is a classic.

Sean


One of the best, imho. Good choice, thanks to your flesh :lol:
User avatar
I_SPEY
Gold Member
 
Posts: 985
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:19 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: My first Lagavulin 16 !!

Postby MoreDalmore » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:06 pm

johan brugge wrote:Nice notes indeed but don't let the colour fool you. It's darker because they add spirit caramel to the whisky. When the whisky is maturing, no two casks ever produce an identical colour of spirit as it is felt that consumers would be disturbed to see bottles of malt whisky sitting side by side and yet totally different colours. You can read more about it on this link:
http://www.morrisonbowmore.co.uk/faq.aspx



I know about the colouring ( Dalmore does it but I still very much like their whiskies ). I just wasn't sure Lagavulin used it to. It's not mentoined on the bottle of Lagavulin so I was not sure but I do know a lot of distilleries use it ( I read a lot of the old posts here ).

At the moment I also have a ( opened ) bottle of The Dalmore 15; now there's a dark whisky for you!!
MoreDalmore
Bronze Member
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:37 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: My first Lagavulin 16 !!

Postby johan brugge » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:50 pm

I just sent you a PM.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member
 
Posts: 1472
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:40 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: My first Lagavulin 16 !!

Postby The Third Dram » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:40 pm

MoreDalmore wrote:Finish : Long and dry; giving much warmth.

Coincidentally, I poured myself some of the 16YO last night.
And guess what?
It was that incredible finish that impressed most of all.
User avatar
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member
 
Posts: 2406
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:38 pm

Re: My first Lagavulin 16 !!

Postby AnttiH » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:15 pm

It is indeed an incredible dram, and the one that lured me into single malts for good.
I recently opened a Lagavulin Distiller's Edition 1991 and I have to say it's very even between those two. If you enjoy any sherry flavours in your whisky I think you would enjoy the Distiller's Edition Lagavulin. This particular spirit was bottled in 2007 and partly matured in Pedro Ximenez sherry casks.

To me, the peatyness, smoky flavours and the sherry sweetness in Lagavulin DE = a match made in heaven. :smoke:
AnttiH
New member
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:52 pm

Re: My first Lagavulin 16 !!

Postby johan brugge » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:22 pm

No thanks. I had that one last year. I though it was too sweet. I like the 12yo CS very much though.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member
 
Posts: 1472
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:40 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: My first Lagavulin 16 !!

Postby MoreDalmore » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:29 pm

AnttiH wrote:If you enjoy any sherry flavours in your whisky I think you would enjoy the Distiller's Edition Lagavulin. This particular spirit was bottled in 2007 and partly matured in Pedro Ximenez sherry casks.

To me, the peatyness, smoky flavours and the sherry sweetness in Lagavulin DE = a match made in heaven. :smoke:



I most certainly will pick up a Lagavulin 16 DE for sure. In fact; if they had it in the shop today I most likely would have bought it first.

I sure do love some sherry flavours in my whisky ( some Dalmore expressions come to mind :wink: ) and another favourite is Highland Park ( although totally different from Dalmore ). See the Whisky Poll for my top ten ( very obvious try to get more votes on my 1st poll :oops: )
MoreDalmore
Bronze Member
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:37 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: My first Lagavulin 16 !!

Postby Minnesota Malt » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:19 am

I too got my first bottle of Laga 16 a few weeks ago. I have tried it before awhile back and it is just as good as I remembered it. In a way, I can't wait for it to get colder since it seems to me that drinking scotch is more enjoyable, especially Islays when it is colder outside. I love summer and the Minnesota winters seem to get longer each year, but now that I have a love for single malts, all the winters to come will be a little easier. :wink:
User avatar
Minnesota Malt
Bronze Member
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:37 pm
Location: Twin Cities, MN

Re: My first Lagavulin 16 !!

Postby pkt77242 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:59 am

Minnesota Malt wrote:I too got my first bottle of Laga 16 a few weeks ago. I have tried it before awhile back and it is just as good as I remembered it. In a way, I can't wait for it to get colder since it seems to me that drinking scotch is more enjoyable, especially Islays when it is colder outside. I love summer and the Minnesota winters seem to get longer each year, but now that I have a love for single malts, all the winters to come will be a little easier. :wink:


MM, I think you live in the wrong state if you love summers. Come on out here it is summer 8 months a year.
It is very difficult to drink Laga 16 when it is 115F outside. It occasionaly makes me cheat on my whisky with a Gin and Tonic.

Sean
User avatar
pkt77242
Matured cask
 
Posts: 10526
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:15 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA

Re: My first Lagavulin 16 !!

Postby Drammed » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:04 am

I gave it a try for the first time today, and thank the makers it was stored in sherry casks! Without that I might not have been able to finish it. I am waiting patiently for the DE to come to my region at the end of October.
User avatar
Drammed
Gold Member
 
Posts: 530
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:08 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Re: My first Lagavulin 16 !!

Postby lockejn » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:35 am

I recently cracked my first bottle, as well. My initial impression is that it's too much sherry. I'll come back to it a few more times before making a final verdict.
User avatar
lockejn
Triple Gold Member
 
Posts: 2802
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:25 am
Location: New Hampshire, USA

Re: My first Lagavulin 16 !!

Postby MoreDalmore » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:14 pm

I am now about down to the last 15cl of my first Lagavulin 16 and I'm still not sure how to describe the sweetness.

But I do get the ( pleasant ) sensation of the sea from the peat; both on the palate and in the finish. Some days I could still taste the sea well into the next morning!

A friend of mine whom I let have some too said he should be carefull drinking too much of it or otherwise he would get hooked on whisky too. 8)

My journey will continue ........
MoreDalmore
Bronze Member
 
Posts: 138
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:37 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: My first Lagavulin 16 !!

Postby borgom » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:28 am

MoreDalmore wrote: Some days I could still taste the sea well into the next morning!

Ahhhhh, the good old days......
borgom
Gold Member
 
Posts: 715
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:37 am
Location: Australia

Re: My first Lagavulin 16 !!

Postby bbrownri » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:28 am

I was thinking about it today and while I really enjoy the Laga 16, I don't really think it's worth the extra $15-20. Don't get me wrong: it's a classic, fantastic whisky. And I must add the caveat that I'm just a poor student, so maybe once I pay off my student loans that extra money won't make as much of a difference to me. However, when I can get a Caol Ila 12 or Ardbeg 10 for $50, I'm pretty content. IMHO, I don't think the Laga really has enough of an edge in terms of flavor to warrant the step up in price.
bbrownri
New member
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:28 am

Re: My first Lagavulin 16 !!

Postby dlh11 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:41 am

Hello all!!
Would love some advice....Laga 16 or Laga 1991 DE matured in sherry?
Have not had either, where would you suggest that a beginner start and why? I have read that the sherry really compiments the peatiness and is really excellent. But purists have said that the sherry detracts from the essence of the Laga style. Thanks for the help!!
dlh11
New member
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:51 pm

Related whiskies : Lagavulin 16 Years Old

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder