Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Aberlour 12 DC vs Aberlour 10

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Aberlour 12 DC vs Aberlour 10

Postby Drammed » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:58 pm

Does anybody have any tasting notes on this line up? I searched and could not find any heads up data. The price is very close so it comes down to taste. What is the difference between these 2?

Cheers
Drammed
Gold Member

Re: Aberlour 12 DC vs Aberlour 10

Postby Lawrence » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:46 am

I have long, long experience with both and while I am very fond of both versions I would have to say that the 12yo Double Casked has a higher sherry profile and the 10 is slightly drier and a touch more bourbon influence.

The 16 DC is lighter than them both (some dismiss the 16 DC out of hand for this characteristic but it's a grave error, it's a cracker).

The 18 is the sweetest of the 4 and is quite something.

I tend to favour one over the other from time to time. I'm back on the 10 now and am enjoying it. I'll go back to the 12 however.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby The Third Dram » Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:10 am

Very much appreciate your comparative analysis, Lawrence, as of those editions cited, I've yet to experience the 12YO Double Matured. That said, I agree with your citing the quality of the 16YO, which I find to be one of the most subtle, complex and enticing of the Aberlour releases.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Drammed » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:22 am

Lawrence wrote:I have long, long experience with both and while I am very fond of both versions I would have to say that the 12yo Double Casked has a higher sherry profile and the 10 is slightly drier and a touch more bourbon influence.

The 16 DC is lighter than them both (some dismiss the 16 DC out of hand for this characteristic but it's a grave error, it's a cracker).

The 18 is the sweetest of the 4 and is quite something.

I tend to favour one over the other from time to time. I'm back on the 10 now and am enjoying it. I'll go back to the 12 however.

Lawrence

Thanks for the insight Lawrence. I have purchased the 12 DC and recently tried it, but I was curious about the 10 as both are similar in price where I am located.
Drammed
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:49 am

Right! The same prices on both sides of the water, if you have the chance try the 10yo, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder