Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Macalllan 12yr sherry

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Macalllan 12yr sherry

Postby clicker7 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:10 am

Hi All:

A couple of years ago I experienced a drop in flavor in Mac 12 with my last couple of bottles here in the Northwest, so I have been avoiding it in favor of Alberlour 16 DC, HP 18, and some other favorite sherried drams.

I thought I would try it again, so I picked up a bottle of the 12 yr sherry, and it really is quite good. I am sipping it as I write, and I find it richer, and fuller than my last tasting 2 year ago.

I am really enjoying it. Very tasty.

Nose: honey, sweet, citrus, sherry, vanilla.
Palate: full, sweet, creamy, honey, vanilla, orange, spices, pepper.
Finish: sweet, long with some pepper/heat.

Certainly, much better than my memory of it from a couple of years back.

I enjoyed it so much I went back this morning and got two more bottles to stockpile from the same case.

Has anyone else noticed a change recently in Macallan 12 sherrry.

Joseph
clicker7
Silver Member

Re: Macalllan 12yr sherry

Postby Ganga » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:05 pm

S'tan and I did a tasting of three Macallan 12s. One purchased in early 2008 (new style bottling), one from circa 2000, and one from circe 1995. Although the two earlier ones had strong similarities, there still were striking differences. The newer bottlings are not as "heavy" sherry, almost like they have a different type of sherry. In some ways, we found it more pleasant but then again the heavy sherry is what got me going.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Whisky1978 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:40 pm

I agree that there's a difference in the current Macallan and the and the ones bottled a decay ago. If you only look to the color you can notice that the older versions are more "orange" than the current bottelings. Some say that's because "old style" sherry casks where used.

Personally I prefer the older versions but taste is personal.
Whisky1978
Bronze Member

Postby clicker7 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:23 pm

Thanks Gentlemen:

Ganga, that is good research you and Stan did, that's the way to taste the difference. I'm sure the Sherry casks they finish in are a lot different now.

I suspect it is a lot harder to get the top Spanish sherry casks now as the world wide demand for Single Malt increases, and more distillers finishing in Sherry, Port, Sauternes, etc.

Still this recent batch of Mac 12 tasted good, better than the last couple bottles I tried 2-3 years back. I'm happy about that. I stocked up on a few more.

I'm finding inconsistencies in some of my favorites like Macallan 12, Balvenie DW, and Highland Park 12, all not quite as good as a few years back (ca. old bottles). So when I come across a batch that taste good I tend to buy a few bottles and stockpile them so I have a decent taste when I want it.

Joseph
clicker7
Silver Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:30 pm

We found a particularly good DW. Very dry sherry influence leading to a very good presentation of the spices.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:06 am

Had some Balvenie Doublewood last night and then some Macallan 12. The Balvenie was more interesting on the nose and on the palate. More complexity. The Macallan came off as rather one dimensional, simly a very sherried dram.

I can't get over the price and value of the Balvenie for its price.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder