Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

My recommendation of the year, probably!

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

My recommendation of the year, probably!

Postby r0b » Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:30 pm

I'm gonna paste my entire tasting note that I wrote using Jeroen's tasting note program here (http://www.peatfreak.com) because other than this, I have no words describing my new-found love of this bourbon, Elijah Craig 12 Yrs:

Nose: A MASSIVELY attractive nose. As elegant as they come with great depth and balance of ripe fruits, vanilla, oak & spices. There's a lot going on here, very lively. A sexy, meaty & beautiful nose that I can spend an entire evening with.

Palate: A big oily body with never-ending depth. Wonderful sweetness meets oaky vanilla and floral notes. Despite the strength this is extremely mellow.

Finish: A slightly bitter yet sweet and full finish.

Comments: Sheer un-adultered CLASS. Wow! Had I known this to be this delicious, I would have bought a bottle way back. Breath-taking stuff.

Score (1-100) in the 95's
r0b
Bronze Member

Postby Shigga » Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:42 pm

hm glad I bought a bottle and I really look forward to opening it and having a dram full. "Sadly" I promised a friend of mine to open it for a special occasion- when he gets his master degree. But the longer the wait the better the experience I hope. Still got a couple of weeks to go. :D
Shigga

Postby SasquatchMan » Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:48 pm

:D That EC is nice whiskey for sure. It holds a lot of interesting flavours, and isn't rude at all, even though it's stronger than anything else in the cupboard.
SasquatchMan
Bronze Member

Postby r0b » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:25 pm

Shigga wrote:hm glad I bought a bottle and I really look forward to opening it and having a dram full. "Sadly" I promised a friend of mine to open it for a special occasion- when he gets his master degree. But the longer the wait the better the experience I hope. Still got a couple of weeks to go. :D

Good choice! But hey, open it as soon as possible, you may be hit by a car tomorrow. ;)

It sells for only app. €26 so you can enjoy it just about any time. it's not like the Glenfiddich 1937... ;)
r0b
Bronze Member

Postby Admiral » Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:52 pm

Based on your recommendation, plus the mighty score it got in Jim Murray's Bible, I bought the Elijah Craig 12yo today, and I'm sipping it now as I write this.

I'll drink a scotch over a bourbon any day, but I have to say, this bourbon has a complexity and richness far above any other American whiskey I've tasted.

I've tried other small batch bourbons like Bookers, Basil Haydens, Knob Creek, and also premium bourbons like Woodford Reserve.

This is actually a bourbon to get excited about! It's sweetness is rich, but balanced. There almost seems to be a smokiness behind the oiliness and floral notes.

A recommended dram indeed!!
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby r0b » Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:13 pm

Admiral, great stuff isn't it! :) I'm glad you seem to enjoy it as much as I do. I was (and still am) massively impressed by that bourbon.
r0b
Bronze Member

Postby BourbonBorderline » Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:46 pm

I like to use it for Mint Juleps.

Matt
Maple Valley, WA USA
BourbonBorderline

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder