Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Notes for High West 16yo Very Rare Rye Batch No.4

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Notes for High West 16yo Very Rare Rye Batch No.4

Postby Chef! » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:00 pm

Wanted to see the difference between this whisky and the lesser expensive Rendezvous first hand.

First thing I noticed was the whisky's cloudier appearance. Here are my notes and comments. Hope you get something from them:

High West Rocky Mountain Rye Very Rare 16yo. Batch No.4 46%ABV

Nose

Dried Apricots, Candied Sour Apple, Big League Chew Bubble Gum, Dates.
Palate
Light to Medium bodied. Caramel, Vanilla bean. For a split second Marzipan?
Finish

Immediate warmth with muted pumpkin pie spices and then flat with no lingering effect. Dry. I wanted more...
Comment
Sweeter, equally sophisticated nose in its own right but that's where it ended for me. Not saying this didn't strike me as a good dram but I wouldn't buy again for the simple fact Rendezvous spoiled me and is half the price. If I had a point rating and put Rendezvous at 92 chef! pts then this one would come in at 88 chef! pts respectively.

Was a great learning experience for me! Not sure what else I got out of this, though...? Maybe that the younger rye blend in Rendezvous is really what I'm drawn to more in these varieties?

Side Note: I'll probably try one more dram to see if my palate changes but if anyone wants to trade/swap an equal whisky to try I'd be more than happy to ship to you CONUS. :)
Chef!

Re: Notes for High West 16yo Very Rare Rye Batch No.4

Postby Chef! » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:10 am

This latest experience is a good example on why a personal point rating system may not work. I decided to finish my bottle of Uigeadail, as well as follow-up with a dram of Laphroaig QC tonight... All of which made the 16yo High West at the very end much more enjoyable.

The whisky is becoming a favorite if I follow such a tasting regiment to the point I'm actually considering buying another bottle over Rendezvous. For me, it's going from Islay peat monsters to Banana-foster meets every sweet a state carnival has to offer. This contrast for the palate is like finishing a savory with a complex dessert.
Chef!

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder