Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glenmo nail polish!

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Glenmo nail polish!

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:51 pm

I was at a tasting last night and when I nosed the Glenmorangie 10 yo (Bourbon Cask 40 %) I was stunned that all I could smell at first was nail polish!

Now this isn't how I remember the Glenmo nose, yet it took a long time to get under the odour to sense the honeyed notes. The Palate was sweet and the finish was medium long with initial notes of honey followed by a spicy fire and finishing off with a warmth coursing down the body. All things I've come to expect from this Glenmorangie.

Has anyone else noticed this in the "new" Glenmo 10? It makes me leery of purchasing a bottle when my last bottle is finished.

Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Re: Glenmo nail polish!

Postby ResIpsa539 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:54 am

Interestingly enough, I had this nail-polish type taste on the palate of the old Glenmo 15. I don't particularly like the new 10, but can't say I get nail-polish on the nose.
ResIpsa539
Bronze Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:07 am

Alan & Nick:
Yeah it was very disconcerting I can assure you. I really had to work at getting around that initial "bouquet". Once I was able to get into sampling it was not in the Palate but still there in the nose. I should pick up a bottle and experiment with adding water if the scent is still there. Hopefully it was just a "one-off" experience.

None of the other whiskies that evening were out of the ordinary, thankfully.

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby mikeymad » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:26 am

Cheers Peter,

Never got nail polish out of the new 10 (The original)... was not thrilled with the juice, but still drinkable.
mikeymad
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:06 pm

Was this from a freshly opened bottle? Glenmo can be a little hot at first opening to me, but really open up after a week of airing out.

I tried the "new" Ten right after the bottle change and it was still the same great aroma. The unopened bottle I have now is from the gift pack with the crystal tumblers in that same time frame. I'm interested in what the current bottles on the market may be like. The most recent Glenmo I had open was the Astar and even at C/S it was a nice sweet/spice balance especially after a couple months.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby scotchdrinker » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:37 pm

I can not say how long the bottles have been opened but I have had "The Original" on multiple occasions and I have found it to be sweet and nice and a great dram. I have only had it a bars but I have never been disappointed by it.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:43 am

JimiD
This was a newly opened bottle and I was one of the only ones to get "nail polish" in the nose while another fellow got a slight soapy taste. Seeing as I've got a decent selection of Glenmo in the Lair I may sit down and do a vertical this weekend to see what there is to see. I'll probably have to pick up a bottle of the "new" 10 as well to see if it was actual, my imagination or an isolated anosmiatic occurrence!

On a side note, I've really got to get around to listing my opened and closed bottles. I've noticed lately that I've got a few duplicates!

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder