Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Knob Creek Packs a Punch!

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Knob Creek Packs a Punch!

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:07 am

Had some Knob Creek and wow, this stuff is powerful. Explosive flavors on the palate of vanilla, charcoal and some flower, plus one can get clobbered real quick at 100 proof.

Anyway, any other fans of this premium bourbon?
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Re: Knob Creek Packs a Punch!

Postby AnttiH » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:45 pm

I bought a bottle of Knob Creek when I got back home from NYC. First I didn't really enjoy it THAT much (I had Blanton's single barrel bourbon which I enjoyed more), but I think it got a bit better when I had the bottle opened for a few days. I learned to enjoy it a lot. What I like about bourbon in general is that it's so much more 'casual' than Scotch, yet the premium ones are still a great dram and worth every penny.
You can just kick back and enjoy :)
AnttiH

Postby AnttiH » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:46 pm

One more thing:

Out of the JB range my favourite at the moment is Booker's, you should try it. It's insanely smooth for around 125-130 proof. My favourite bourbon at the moment.
AnttiH

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:54 pm

I had some more Knob Creek last night. On another site I came across an interview and tasting with one of the principal owners of Jim Beam drinks (that owns KC) and his astute advice was you have taken to big a sip if you make a face. That's definitely my experience. Tiny sips are all you need with this spirit. Gulp too much and it will burn most unpleasantly on the way down.

Anyway, great stuff, and a nice change from scotch.

Cheers!
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:22 pm

Novice Scotch Fan wrote:Anyway, great stuff, and a nice change from scotch.

I agree! Here's a Bourbon that consistently delivers, and at a very reasonable price point as well.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Bruichladdict » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:55 pm

NSF,

You NEED to try the standard Buffalo Trace NAS and the Eagle Rare 10 single barrel, both under 30$ USD. You may find yourself opting for these OVER single malts, depending on your mood!
Bruichladdict
Bronze Member

Postby mlawrenson » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:37 pm

Never had Knob Creek.

I think it's because, to me, it sounds like a painful and unpleasant medical condition.
mlawrenson

Postby talisker10 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:05 pm

Knob Creek is certainly not bad at all if you mix it, but straight it's rather rough. I can give you some examples for the same price (or lower) that are much better straight, and better in general IMHO:

Evan Williams Single Barrel
Old Weller 7yr/107
Buffalo Trace
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby Drammed » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:59 pm

How do you find the Baisel Hayden 8 yr. That just arrived on the shelves and I have not yet tried it. I see it is a 40% 'er though.
Drammed
Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:27 pm

Drammed wrote:How do you find the Basel Hayden 8 yr. That just arrived on the shelves and I have not yet tried it. I see it is a 40% 'er though.

Personally, I'd take a pass. Here's a case where the fragrance is stupendous, but the whiskey just about falls flat on its face once it hits the palate... Far too little oomph and length, especially when compared to its small-batch stablemates (Baker's, Booker's & Knob Creek).

I carried out a side-by-each tasting of seven Bourbons recently, including the BH. Guess which one came in last?
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby dylan793 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:49 pm

Kinda disappointed to hear the opinions of Basil Hayden's. I had thought of giving it a try but i've seen in several spots that it doesn't get a whole lot of praise. In regards to the topic, Knob Creeks definitely packs a punch if you're not careful. I could recount an unpleasent experience, but i'd rather not.
dylan793

Postby p_elliott » Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:40 pm

Drammed wrote:How do you find the Baisel Hayden 8 yr. That just arrived on the shelves and I have not yet tried it. I see it is a 40% 'er though.

If you have thoughts of giving BH a try give Old Grand Dad BIB a try first or OGD 114 . BH is nothing more than OGD with a little more age and watered down to 80 proof.
p_elliott

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:15 pm

While Basil Hayden's doesn't have the robust flavors presented in Knob Creek and others, it is certainly worth acquiring a bottle. I rather like it and like all things it depends on one's mood.

Basil Hayden's and Knob Creek are quite different. The former is much smoother and gentler, and for that reason may get criticized by the serious reviewer. For the ordinary guy (like me) it's damn good!
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby Ibitsu » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:09 pm

Could a Knob Creek aficionado rate the 9 year old small batch 50% bottling for me? We regularly get this one in at the shop, and I am mightily tempted each time, but something always holds me back slightly.. :P
Ibitsu

Postby p_elliott » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:33 am

Novice Scotch Fan wrote:While Basil Hayden's doesn't have the robust flavors presented in Knob Creek and others, it is certainly worth acquiring a bottle. I rather like it and like all things it depends on one's mood.

Basil Hayden's and Knob Creek are quite different. The former is much smoother and gentler, and for that reason may get criticized by the serious reviewer. For the ordinary guy (like me) it's damn good!

They are very different Basil Hayden like I said is Old Grand Dad mashbill aged to 7 years and watered down to 80 proof. Knob Creek is Jim Beam mashbill aged to 9 years NOT watered down but is at 100 proof.
p_elliott

Postby p_elliott » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:39 am

p_elliott wrote:
Novice Scotch Fan wrote:While Basil Hayden's doesn't have the robust flavors presented in Knob Creek and others, it is certainly worth acquiring a bottle. I rather like it and like all things it depends on one's mood.

They are very different Basil Hayden like I said is Old Grand Dad mashbill aged to 7 years and watered down to 80 proof. The problem I have with BH is it's $40 a bottle while OGD BIB is around $18. Knob Creek is Jim Beam mashbill aged to 9 years NOT watered down but is at 100 proof.
p_elliott

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder