Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Talisker 1996 Distillers Edition

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Talisker 1996 Distillers Edition

Postby Megawatt » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:29 am

I thought I'd share my impressions of this single malt Scotch whisky I picked up recently.

Newly available at the LCBO, the Distillers Edition is two years older than the standard Talisker bottling and is finished in Amoroso sherry casks.

I prefer it with a splash of water. The smoke aromas are quite subdued, replaced by an almost cognac-like fruitiness and some chalky notes. It opens up more given time but the nose only hints at what the palate delivers.

Immediate full-bodied sweetness hits the mouth. There is peat and caramel in equal amounts but neither dominates. A lot less smoky than the 10-year-old and not as rich as the 18, it strikes a nice balance. Roll it around the tongue and immense, mouth-coating fruitiness develops. This is what I love in a Scotch whisky.

The finish is initially sharp and sweet, but it softens and becomes smokier with time. The smoke and fruit elements both linger.

I've really fallen for this whisky. I'm not always in the mood for extreme peat, so this has the perfect balance for me. For the heck of it I compared it to Bowmore 12, since they are the same age and both use sherry casks. Bowmore is decent but was quite horrid after Talisker. The Talisker bottle cost twice as much, and tasted about twice as good, so it feels like money well spent.
Megawatt
Bronze Member

Re: Talisker 1996 Distillers Edition

Postby clicker7 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:15 am

I don't think you can go wrong with Talisker DE.

I am working on Tali 1992 DE as I write, and it is delightful. I think it is a really nice expression on a chilly evening. I love the weight, sweetness, smoke, and overall complexity.

Joseph
clicker7
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder