Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Favorite lower end Ryes?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Favorite lower end Ryes?

Postby emagination » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:34 am

I've begun to really acquire a taste for rye. It's fairly new territory for me. I bought a bottle of overholt a while back for making old fashioneds and manhattans and have continued to do so from time to time for this purpose. You really can't beat rye in one of these cocktails over bourbon.

Currently I have a bottle of rittenhouse that cost me about 16 bucks, a little less than overholt here in Texas, and am realizing rye can be a great bargain.

I'm sipping it straight now and it's suprisingly easy going. Not too pretentious, a bit sweeter than I'd expect from a rye but there is still plenty of that rye dryness with a tinge of sour. This simplicity may be a big part of it's appeal. The flavor brings to mind it's place in American history. The signature dryness of the rye brings to my imagination the dust and musk you might find in a 19th century saloon.

It seems rye has been enjoying a quiet but steady increase in interest and consequently expensive ultra premiums are becoming more available. But right now I'm a bit infatuated with these younger, inexpensive bottlings for their value and am wondering if there are other ryes in this price range worth trying and what some of your favorite all purpose ryes are.
emagination

Re: Favorite lower end Ryes?

Postby ama » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:21 am

Rittenhouse 100
Sazerac 6

I'd go higher and get a bottle of Thomas H. Handy though. It great.
ama

Postby talisker10 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:51 pm

While I am sure the Handy is fantastic (hope to get a bottle for Xmas), it's real hard to beat Wild Turkey Rye for $25. Fantastic stuff.
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby Gov » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:42 pm

Rittenhouse 100
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Liechtenstein » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:41 am

-Jim Beam 100% rye (yellow label)
-Alberta Premium 100% rye.
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby sinclair » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:10 pm

Enjoyed a bottle of Pikesville a few weeks ago with friends and was pretty impressed .Good value as well. :thumbsup:
sinclair
Bronze Member

Postby bjorn » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:26 am

talisker10 wrote:While I am sure the Handy is fantastic (hope to get a bottle for Xmas), it's real hard to beat Wild Turkey Rye for $25. Fantastic stuff.

I'll second this, both the standard 101 and the 6 year old Russell's Reserve are good. Rittenhouse 100 and Sazerac, too, though I think I would go with the Turkeys.

-Bjorn
bjorn
Bronze Member

Postby Willie JJ » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:56 am

I don't know about the pricing but I would say that the Sazerac 6 has to be worth a try. Great stuff.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby ericomposer702 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:10 pm

I picked up a bottle of Redemption Rye, and I really love it- it is the first rye I ever bought, though... I've been drinking it both straight and in old-fashioned's...

I've heard really great things about Rittenhouse 100 as well, though- at the only liquor store near me that sells rye, the Redemption is $25 and the Rittenhouse $22

How do these two compare?

I was thinking about picking up Rittenhouse next, as this bottle is seeming to dry up pretty fast :D I'm just worried that I won't love the Rittenhouse as much as the Redemption, and I will regret the change- although it's not too huge of a loss at this price point...
ericomposer702

Postby Gooner » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:03 am

I'd go for the sazerac, although would also put in a word for the Zuidam Dutch Rye, quite different to the american ryes
Gooner

Postby Drammed » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:28 pm

I quite enjoyed the bottle of RI that I bought and it was not that expensive ($35 i think)
Drammed
Gold Member

Postby talisker10 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:43 pm

I imagine I will still stick with WT and RR ryes, but it was interesting to note that Serge over at Whiskyfun gave Old Overholt a decent review. Scored a 79. I would be willing to bet that at least in the U.S. (I have no idea how much Old Overholt would cost in Europe) that's the lowest priced whisk(e)y that he has ever rated that high.
talisker10
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder