Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Could it be that my taste has developed?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

A newbie needs recommendations

Postby MrAndySais » Sun Mar 10, 2002 1:42 pm

Hi all,
I am a newbie to this forum and to the wonderful world of Single Malt Whiskys.
Please excuse my bad English .. I am from Munich, Germany. Image

I started collecting/drinking Whisky in October/November 2001 and have acquired about 60 bottles so far.

I wanted to have a big spectrum of Whisky, so I tried to get my hands of the youngest Whisky of the well-known distillers. Unfortunately I have bought some bottles that were less pleasing.
Now I want to go a step further and buy older whiskys or different editions from my favourite brands. But since that will be a little bit more costly, I would appreciate some recommendations.
Here are some of my favourite brands and what I have from them:
Ardbeg: I only have the 10-y.-o. and a Murray & David Edition (1991)which I don´t like that much. I have tried the 17-y.o. once but was a little bit disappointed. Any other vintages that are as overwhelming as the 10-y.o.?

Bowmore: I have everything from the normals range (Legends, 12-21-y.o., Darkest, Surf) and Dusk. Tried Dawn once but was disappointed. Are Claret, Surf and the old ones worth getting?

Macallen: I really like Sherry-Whiskys. I prefer the 12-y.o. over the 18-y.o. Anything that can be compared to Macallen? Oh, I have Glendronach 15-y.o.

Glenmorangie: I like the Madeira Wood and the Port finish a lot, but I am not a big fan of the normal Glenmorangie. Should I go for Sherry Wood and Fino Wood?

My favourite Caol Ila is from Dun Bheagan. I like the smokey, bacon-like taste a lot. I got another Caol Ila (the Single Single Malt Collection) on Ebay and was simply shocked how different tastes could be. That Caol Ila tastes watery and can´t even be compared to Dun Bhegan´s .Any other versions that have that bacon flavour which I like so much?

Okay, that was enough for a start. I appreciate each comment and recommendations on brands I haven´t mentioned.

Greetings from Munich,
Andy
MrAndySais

Postby BruceCrichton » Mon Mar 11, 2002 7:10 pm

Macallan comparables?

In terms of having had whiskies which are heavily sherried, good whiskies include:

Dailuaine, Aberlour, Blair Athol, Mortlach and Pittyvaich stand out.

Glendronach 12 is excellent also.

Glenmorangie? If you can get it, then go for the 12 year old millenium malt. It is still fairly available in Britain. Fiona Murdoch at www.dufftown.co.uk has some if you can't get it anywhere else. It beats the others hands down. It's sweeter than 10 yr old and has a slightly metallic taste.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Steve » Mon Mar 11, 2002 9:29 pm

Of Ardbeg, the 1975 vintage was spectacularly good, but more rounded than the 10 y.o. Much better I would say. I tried the Lord Of The Isles bottling (25y.o.) at the whisky show this weekend and that was just fantastic, really very good indeed, but then it is £100 a bottle.....

I was disappointed with the claret finish of Bowmore - It didn't improve the drink - merely a novelty i.m.o. I have surf, but haven't tried it - I'd like to see if anyone else has tried this one.

The sherry wood glenmorangie is nice - haven't tried the fino one. The talk Glenmorangie did was interesting - look forward to an improved 10y.o. in three years time. I tried it as a 7 y.o. and it was as good as the current 10y.o. and much better than a 7y.o. using the old techniques. (they've improved several methods there, it would seem).
Steve

Postby MrAndySais » Mon Mar 11, 2002 11:24 pm

Hi,

thanks for your answers.

Today I got an Aberlour 15 Sherry Wood Finish of which I have heard so many good comments. It was surprisingly good and I prefer it even over an Macallan...

I wanted to get a Glenmorangie Sherry Wood Finish or a Fino Fiish tomorrow, depending on what my wallet will have to say about it. Image
Is there such a big difference betweem the 10-year-old and the 12-year-old? I have 3 Glenmorangies (10, Port, Madeira) and don´t like the 10-y.o. that much.

I would love to try more Ardbegs but they are simply too expensive for me (at the moment).

I called my Whisky shop here in Munich today and asked them to get me Blackadder Raw Casks of Bowmore and Highland Park. Are these fillings the ones with the most intense flavour?

Greetings,
Andi
MrAndySais

Postby BruceCrichton » Tue Mar 12, 2002 7:39 pm

The difference between 12 Yr old and 10 Yr old Glenmorangie is staggering.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Could it be that my taste has developed?

Postby MrAndySais » Tue Mar 12, 2002 11:05 pm

Hi all,

as I have mentioned before, I am a newbie to Whisky and started collecting/drinking in October 2001.

When I tried my first Single Malts, I always felt that certian burning in my throat and had to cough. To be frank, I couldn´t really enjoy the bottle I had bought, but continued anyways since I am was intrigued by the topic Whisky itself. Now, and especially after a long Whisky night with a friend of mine (and 15 drams) I am under the impression that my taste has changed.. matured even. I don´t feel that burn anymore, the coughing is gine and everything tastes smoother than a few months before. Suddenly that Glendronach 15-y.o. tastes amazing and I can finally taste a difference between all my Bowmores. Even Glenmorangie Port Finish is delicious now, and I remember well that I didn´t like it at all when I first tried it.
Could it really be that my taste has improved or changed? That I got used to Whisky? I am really wondering, because everything tastes better now. Or am I gradually becoming an alcoholic? Lol, I hope not.
What can you, esteemed forum members recommend? I have a lot of the "normal" Whiskies and I am looking for something special now, such as special finishes, filling from independants, special editons and so on.
All comment will as always be appreciated.
Regards from Munich, Germany
Andy
MrAndySais

Postby BruceCrichton » Wed Mar 13, 2002 12:09 am

This brings back memories. I used to ruin some of the greatest whiskies known to man by adding coke or Irn Bru to them (though never water- I still can't go that).

I gradually got used to the taste and eventually was able to take it neat. I still remember that it was 'Black Bottle' that I drank a few drams of neat. I then progressed to the bottle of Laphroaig that my mum got me for that Christmas and I've never looked back.

My acid test for a whisky is still, can I drink it neat? If I can't then I avoid it.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Mar 15, 2002 11:06 pm

Hello to everyone,
After reading your message Andy, I too felt a sense of familiarity with your findings .I am also a recent whisky convert.In times gone by I would spend a night out drinking your usual spirits and the occasional 'alcopop'-for a change!. A few years ago we were offered one of the 'Morangie wood finishes by a friendly bartender. I recall finding this rather drinkable, or maybe I was too merry to notice the burning mouth- whatever. That was my first dalliance with whisky ,my second was last year when one friday night not feeling like "the usual" I spied tha familiar 'Morangie plinth .Not knowing which one I tried before I opted for the Port finish .This was not happily accepted by my "chicken korma" tastebuds .Not to be beaten and fuelled by "it's not that you don't like whisky, you just haven't found one you do like yet", I continued my quest.My next port of call was 10 yo Macallan which I sipped rather daintily and enjoyed .Once the barowner (good friend and fellow malthead) had seen this act and was rather taken aback by a young woman drinking single malt ,his egging on and eagerness for me to try other malts has given me the whisky bug. I don't think I've had my usual since. As for "have my tastebuds changed?",I don't think so. It is a bit like getting into a hot bath, after that initial burn you learn to relax and soon you are soaking in a warm glow.
cheers all
ps sorry for going on a bit, but I am a woman after all
Deactivated Member

Postby MrAndySais » Fri Mar 15, 2002 11:15 pm

Hello,

I am glad that I am not the only one to experience this phenomenon. I liked the comparison with the hot bath. It seems that I over the "burning" taste of Whisky. I just had a glass of Bowmore 12 and it was very smooth. No burn at all. If I didn´t know otherwise I would have said there was no alcohol in it. Image
By the way, I got a bottle of Aberlour Sherry Cask Finish because I have read so mayn good things about it and I must say that this beats even Macallen hands down! Best Sherry finish my newly discovered tastebuds have had so far. Image
That being said I wish you all goodnight and will finish the day with a glass of Glendronach.

Andy
MrAndySais

Postby bartok » Sat Mar 16, 2002 6:54 am

hi- If you like the Bowmore12 I recommend the Bowmore15 Mariner. I find it much smoother.Aberlour has kocked Macallan out of my collection. I found the Aberlour A'bunadh (batch6) superior to either Macallan12 or 18(1982).I recently took a trip to Chicago and went to Sam's Wine and Spirits and found Glenfarclas105.This made me happy since it is not available in my home town and Glenfarclas10 is the most inexpensive scotch that I would by again.When I tasted it, it reminded me of Aberlour A'bunadh so I sampled the two side by side and although they were very close I would have to go with the Aberlour. An added bonus is that I've seen the Aberlour on special in two places for the low $40's while the Glenfarclas105 lists in the mid $60's.
bartok

Postby bartok » Sat Mar 16, 2002 7:35 am

I recommend the Aberlour A'bunadh(batch6)I like it more than the Macallan12 or 18(1982).As far as the Bowmores go ,I prefer the Mariner15 over the 12.. Had one glass of the17 and the Darkest and found them similar,if anything the 17 tasted purer(so I am not sure if they have a place in a collection that has Mariner15).As far as Ardbegs go the 17 is different enough(compared to the 10) to include in a collection.
bartok

Postby MrAndySais » Sat Mar 16, 2002 7:28 pm

Hi, Aberlour a´bunadh is very good, but I think it tastes like cherries (not Sherry Image ).

It is hard for me to tell the difference between Bowmore 12, 15 and 17. They all taste smooth. I prefer Surf over Darkest because Surf is a little bit more salty.

I just had one sip of Ardbeg 17 and it didn´t have the surprise value as Ardbeg 10. This is my favourite when I try to introduce friends to Single Malts.

Today I bougth Cask Strengths of Glenmorangie, Highland Park (Signatory) and Bowmore (Blackadder). Í will try them tonight.

Greetings,
Andy
MrAndySais

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Mar 17, 2002 4:00 pm

Hi Andy,

Why don't you try a Bunnahabhain 12Y or the vintages 1963, 1965 or the 1968 "Familiy Silver"??

Perhaps a nice Balvenie 21Y old Portwood would suit you.

Or try some Highland Park vintages or the regular ages like 12Y, 18Y, 25Y.

Or maybe if you like to go on a nice lighter dram, try The Glenturret 12Y,15Y,15Y"proof",18Y or even a 21Y or 25Y old.

Any way here are some suggestions....

Slainte,

Erik

[This message has been edited by Huurman (edited 17 March 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Huurman (edited 17 March 2002).]
Deactivated Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder