Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

another new guy

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

another new guy

Postby justin » Tue Feb 24, 2004 6:23 am

hello folks. i'm pretty new to the world of scotch. i'm fixing to graduate from college so funds are somewhat limited. here's what i've had:

johnnie walker black label
dewars white label
dewars special reserve
glenmorangie 10yr
glenlevit 12yr
chivas
and most recently the macalan 12yr

my favorites are the macalan and the dewars special reserve. i've had more blends b/c they're cheaper. i just bought a bottle of the balvenie doublewood which i've heard nothing but good things about. i didn't care for the glenmorangie & the chivas too much at all. and i like my scotch on the rocks, which i know isn't too popular amongst the serious scotch folks, but oh well!

so based on what i've said, what are your recomendations? from the reading i've done, most folks suggest the highland park, the arbelour or ardbeg (not sure), the macalan and a few others i can't think of right now. anyway, i'd like to keep the price of the bottle around $50 or so until i start working and bringing in some $$$ :lol:

thanks
justin
justin

Postby lucabeer » Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:33 am

Definitely Ardbeg, my favorite so far!
lucabeer

Postby Shigga » Tue Feb 24, 2004 12:08 pm

hm well the thing with Ardbeg is, it's not really for beginners I'd say. But you made a good choice with The Balvenie Double Wood 12yo, it's really good. Also try Dalwhinnie 15 yo, a super price for such a nice dram!
Shigga

Postby r0b » Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:11 am

If you like the Macallan 12, you must enjoy quite a few of the (sherried) Speyside whiskies. Have you tried any of the Glenfarclas? (Cask Strength, 10, 12 yrs), Glenfiddich 12 yrs, Glendronach 15 (my all-time hated malt, but that's another story! ;) Macallan fans seem to enjoy it)

Blended whiskies you may wanna try is Dimple 12 Yrs (I can't remember the name this sells under in the US, it may be "Pinch", but I'm not sure), Grant's Special Reserve, Black and White, Ballantines Finest and VAT 69.

None of these will cost you too much. Excellent choice on the Balvenie DB 12! :)
r0b
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder