Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Beginner looking for suggestions

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Beginner looking for suggestions

Postby StonK » Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:31 am

Hi
Having followed the forum for a while I decided to register and post for the first time today.

I was the occasional whisky sipper until last year, when I discovered Oban 14. A few months later I had visited Scotland (and Oban of course!) and tasted some other malts as well. I bought a bottle of Oban Distiller's edition there, and I regret that I didn't buy heaps of it now. I have tried some other malts but never found anything like it. Do you have any suggestions of what I might try next? I simply love the Oban DE, but I also like Balvenie DW 12 very much, and Ardbeg 10 and Glenfarclas 15 are good too. So I have no distinct "direction" of taste, I guess (Talisker was ok, standard Laphroaig and Bruichladdich too). But the Oban DE was just "it". If anyone of you has any recommendations for "close to Oban DE" malts I'd appreciate it very much!
StonK

Postby Admiral » Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:38 am

Well, Oban is a coastal, salty whisky, and the Distillers Edition is finished in sherry (? I think that's right, I can't remember?).

So it follows that you should probably look for other coastal whiskies that have been finished or matured entirely in sherry casks.

So try a sherry cask Highland Park (Mackillops Choice have released one or two of these), Ledaig have released a sherry version (Ledaig comes from the Tobemory Distillery on Mull), and the Distillers Edition Talisker also qualifies. (Actually, the DE Talisker is a beauty!)

Any Brora / Clynelish might also tickle your tastebuds.

A sherried Bunnahabhain would also do the trick.

Also, why not try a Campbelltown whisky, i.e. Springbank?

That should keep you going for a while! :D

Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Leonidych » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:04 am

So , we are talking about distinctive, well-balanced, and a little smoky malt? Yes, Talisker DE would perfectly match Oban 14 DE! Also, Cragganmore 12 (not DE!) and Murray & McDavid's Bowmore 1989 are pretty much in the same taste line (other Bowmores I tried are rather too heavy).
As to Highland Park, in may be M&McD 1988 - they used sherry casks, too. HP 18 is also round, although rather light. And I believe, Isle of Jura Superstition will be just perfect in this range.
Other nice deviations: Balvenie 17 Islay Cask, Ardbeg Uigeadail (too intensive, but the balance of peatiness and sherry is there!), and... what do you think of Lagavulin 16?
Leonidych

Postby Lawrence » Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:20 pm

You might try the Lagavulin DE, it's finished in a sherry cask while the Oban is finished in a port pipe (cask). The balance of smoke and sherry is quite nice and the whisky has been very popular.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby hpulley » Wed Feb 25, 2004 5:47 pm

I'm a bit surprised at the suggestions that the Talisker and Lagavulin DEs could be like Oban. Talisker and Lagavulin are both quite different from Oban, I'd say! I enjoy them but if he says Talisker and Laphroaig were just OK then I wonder what about them he liked less than the Oban DE?

Sherried Clynelish, Brora and even Ben Nevis and Mortlach would be my suggestions. For particular bottling suggestions, Cadenheads has some cracking sherried Clynelish, Ben Nevis and Mortlach, as does Signatory. Douglas Laing's Old Malt Cask series has some very nice sherried Brora.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:19 pm

I'd be surprised also if Lagavulin and Oban tasted the same, I simply suggested that he might like to try the Lagavulin DE.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby r0b » Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:02 am

Perhaps a bit of a long-shot, but have you tried Dalwhinnie?

Except that, I'd say Talisker, although more powerful and spicy, is the best bet.
r0b
Bronze Member

Postby Shigga » Thu Feb 26, 2004 5:56 pm

Dalwhinnie 15 yo is great, tried it once! Surely I will buy a bottle next time that I have money :roll:
Shigga

Postby StonK » Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:20 pm

Thanks for all suggestions people! I have been more into cognac the last few days, but that has more to do with the birth of my first child than anything else :D

I will take notes of everything you have said here, I really appreciate the suggestions and discussions. Dalwhinnie - well, my visit in Oban was lovely, but I also got to know that the image of the small distillery they try to give you on the tour there was only half-true. I will get over the disappointment, though, and try the others I have still to taste in the classic malts range. I actually once thought I supported a small independent distillery there, could I be more wrong? :P They admitted they add caramel though - I have never understood why that is necessary. Does the colour sell? Eventually, it is the taste that matters, and I will go hunting for Oban DE whenever I am abroad. And off-topic stuff like these maybe should be discussed under another topic another day ;)

Shigga wrote:Dalwhinnie 15 yo is great, tried it once! Surely I will buy a bottle next time that I have money :roll:
StonK

Postby r0b » Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:18 pm

StonK wrote:They admitted they add caramel though - I have never understood why that is necessary. Does the colour sell?

Yes. If you have two malts side by side, most uninformed people will choose the darker one believing it is better.
r0b
Bronze Member

Postby hpulley » Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:22 pm

Even informed people are surprised by very light malts, especially natural coloured islays, and I wonder if some of the prejudice against lowlands is due to the lack of much colour. Most think pale means tasteless and think a deep colour implies many years in a cask; neither statement need be true.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Tue Mar 02, 2004 3:09 am

One of the best malts I ever tasted was an SMWS 20yo Ardbeg that was so pale, you'd swear it was only 4 or 5 years old.
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder