Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Any rum fans out there?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Any rum fans out there?

Postby bbrownri » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:48 pm

I was at my favorite liquor store a couple days ago and on a whim picked up a handsome bottle of Rhum Clement VSOP. It's a cane juice rum from Martinique aged in French Oak and ex-bourbon casks. I was pleasantly surprised to find it complex and not too sweet. My tasting notes follow, but I was wondering if anyone else out there has found any good sipping rums.

Nose: Rye-like dry spice is notable up front. Pineapple. Raisin, vanilla, cocoa. Cedar, tannins, tobacco.
Palate: Bright, very smooth and balanced. Vanilla, pineapple, orange peel. Soft tannins with a hint of winy raisin. A peppery, rye-like burn down the middle of the tongue holds the whole thing together.
Finish: Pineapple and vanilla. Dry (but not overdry) tannins. A trickle of sugar.
Notes: Very good. Much drier and more balanced than a lot of rums. I could almost mistake this for a bourbon, given the strength of the wood and spice.
bbrownri

Re: Any rum fans out there?

Postby Liechtenstein » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:18 am

bbrownri wrote:I was at my favorite liquor store a couple days ago and on a whim picked up a handsome bottle of Rhum Clement VSOP. It's a cane juice rum from Martinique aged in French Oak and ex-bourbon casks. I was pleasantly surprised to find it complex and not too sweet. My tasting notes follow, but I was wondering if anyone else out there has found any good sipping rums.

You'll find that cane juice rums - as opposed to those made from molasses - are more complex and enjoyable. Most French rums (from the French Antilles) are distilled from cane juice whereas rums from former British colonies in the Carribean are distilled from molasses.

http://www.ministryofrum.com

...is a good site if you enjoy rum.

:coffee:
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby laphroaig10_65 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:39 pm

After my wife's demand, some months ago I bought my first bottle of rhum, a Barbancourt 15 yo, French style.
It tastes good and complex enough both at nose and mouth, with a bit short finish.
Nevertheless I seldom drink it, because I prefer my bottles of single malt.
laphroaig10_65
Bronze Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:43 pm

My favorite is Mount Gay Eclipse.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:46 pm

bbrownri wrote:...I was wondering if anyone else out there has found any good sipping rums.

Lots! :wink:

The Clement rums have a good reputation, though I haven't tried them. However, the following have all provided sipping pleasure...

Angostura 1919 and 1824, Trindidad & Tobago - The first is as easy drinking a rum as one is likely to encounter. Great for summer patio parties. The second has quite a bit more depth, with a spicy, somewhat burnt character (I'm often reminded of Knob Creek when I drink this one) that you may or may not appreciate.

Appelton Estate Extra, Jamaica (nominally a 12-year old with some older rums in the makeup) - Good balance and complexity. Smooth and not over the top.

Barbancourt 8 Year Old, Haiti - A rather intense and spirited flavour surge followed by sweetness. Finishes hot. Good stuff for those not afraid of the edginess.

El Dorado 12 and 15 Year Old Demerara, Guyana - Both lovely pours. The first incredibly sweet and raisined, the second with greater complexity.

Havana Club 7 Year Old and Barrel Proof, Cuba - The first is often overlooked due to its ubiquitous presence in the marketplace. But it's an excellently balanced rum nonetheless. Leans slightly to the delicate flavour spectrum. The Barrel Proof is just a wonderful sweet pour.

Santa Teresa 1796 Ron Antigua de Solera, Venezuela - One of my favourites. Complex and with a lovely finish. It's a very fine sipping spirit.

Also keep your eyes open for any of the Plantation Reserve rums bottled by the French C. Ferrand firm. They can be spectacular. Personal favourites include the Venezuela and Guayana releases.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby dramtastic » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:42 pm

I would add Mount Gay Extra Old and English Harbour Aged 5 Years to the suggestions above.
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby ama » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:50 am

No rum discussion is complete without mentioning Ron Zacapa 23!
ama

Postby The Third Dram » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:25 pm

ama wrote:No rum discussion is complete without mentioning Ron Zacapa 23!

And then booking an appointment with your dentist. :wink:

The Ron Zacapa '23' is in a very sweet and syrupy style, perhaps even more so now that it's dropped the '23 Años' designation for the 'Solera' label (it also, apparently, has lost some depth of flavour in the process).

One to sip in lieu of dessert, perhaps?
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:53 am

Yello to Mello wrote:...between those 2...

Personally, I'd go for the El Dorado 15YO.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby ama » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:08 am

The Third Dram wrote:
ama wrote:No rum discussion is complete without mentioning Ron Zacapa 23!

And then booking an appointment with your dentist. :wink:

The Ron Zacapa '23' is in a very sweet and syrupy style, perhaps even more so now that it's dropped the '23 Años' designation for the 'Solera' label (it also, apparently, has lost some depth of flavour in the process).

One to sip in lieu of dessert, perhaps?

Aw, come on! Its one of the top rated rums ever. Sure its sweet, but there a lot of complex flavor lurking in there.
ama

Postby The Third Dram » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:08 pm

I'm not 'putting it down' one iota, ama, but am merely making an observation as regards its flavour profile when compared to many other Caribbean rums. Rums are like any other spirit in that, depending on their individual styles and one's personal taste, they can often be best enjoyed at different times and in different circumstances. For instance, I probably wouldn't pour the Zacapa '23' as an aperitif, but would rather enjoy it more following a meal. In this case as well, a little goes a long way, as the rum's richness and sweetness are quite satiating. You wouldn't want to swill this one back, at any rate.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Wave » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:08 am

Many of my favorite Rums come from Barbados, Mount Gay Extra Old, Doorley's and Cuckspur and also the Plantation series Barbados along with their Jamacian and Venezuelian bottlings

Also
Flor de Caña from Nicaragua
Ron Añejo Pampero Aniversario from Venezuela
Pyrat XO Reserve from British West Indies
Ron Zacapa '23

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Megawatt » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:25 am

Flor de Cana 7 year old is quite decent.

Also try Appleton Estate Reserve for something rich and full-tasting (though it's not the smoothest stuff in the world).

Probably the best rum I've had so far is El Dorado 12. Mount Gay Eclipse is okay as well.
Megawatt
Bronze Member

Postby ClubSmed » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:36 pm

Closest I have come to rum so far is MACNAMARA - Rum Finish
:D
ClubSmed
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder