Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Connemara 17 single cask

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Connemara 17 single cask

Postby Aidan » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:33 pm

I've been a bit disappointed by the recent Connemaras, although they are grand, but this one is brilliant. It's casked for the Celtic Whiskey Shop and is probably the best Cooley whiskey I've tasted.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: Connemara 17 single cask

Postby cathach » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:33 am

Have you had some of the other single cask Connemaras? I had a 16yo before and it was a gorgeous smoked pear of a whiskey. Is it the sherry influence you prefer? Have you compared it to the regular sherry finish?
cathach
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:30 am

I've had a good few, and some were really excellent, but I think the best peated Cooleys have been bottled by Cadenhead. Some of the single cask Connemaras were very good.

I don't think the new sherry finish one is great, though, and there were a few others I tried that I wasn't blown away by.
Aidan

Postby vision*R » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:25 pm

Indeed, I've had several peated Cooley's by Cadenhead and they are marvellous!
vision*R

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:57 pm

Yes the Cadenheads are amazing compared to the Single Cask Connemara's. They seem like a totally different style all together. Much more powerful and robust.

Good praise for the 17yo though Aidan but at €100 I'm a bit put off especially when the 17yo Tyrconnell single cask is €80. That is getting rave reviews also.

Not a fan of the sherry finish Connemara either. Don't get me wrong it is fine but I think it just lacks a bit of umph .... a pity really as I's reckon a cask strength version would be wonderful.
irishwhiskeychaser

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder