Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glenfiddich single malt

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Glenfiddich single malt

Postby trainer2010 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:12 pm

I had first tastes Glenfiddich at a cigar bar and instantly was hooked on it. Then i bought a bottle of the 18 yr old single malt and from the first sip knew why I was hooked. The aroma of this whisky is so smoothe. The taste of oak, cinnamon, and spice satisifies my taste buds well. For now this is my choice of single malt scotch. Any one else tried Glenfiddich, if so how did you like it?
trainer2010

Re: Glenfiddich single malt

Postby The Third Dram » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:14 pm

Welcome to you, trainer 2010! :thumbsup:

As a matter of fact, I just polished off the remnants of a bottle of the 15 Year Old a couple of days ago. Thoroughly enjoyed it, as always. The 18 Year Old adds those lovely additional sweet honeyed tones, and also represents a fine whisky.

I think Glenfiddich tends to get unfairly maligned amongst many so called 'sophisticated' whisky circles owing to its ubiquitous presence in the marketplace. But there's complexity and a sense of integrity to the products that's worthy of attention.

That said, I tend to favour some of the Glenlivet bottlings of late, especially the 15 Year Old French Oak Reserve, the 18 Year Old and, of course, the sensational cask strength 16 Year Old Nàdurra!
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:38 pm

TD makes a point that Glenfiddich gets maligned a bit too much. I do like Glenfiddich except for the rum finished ones. If you want to explore some of the thoughts that forum members have had on Glenfiddich please read this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8668
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Wave » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:25 am

Collector57 wrote:Yes it's a lazy whisky snob's game to slag off 'fiddich (well, except the 12yo which is bland IMO) :D

I was one of those that slagged off 'fiddich till I tasted some their older expressions of 15 Year Old Solera Reserve (actually got to taste a cask strength variant of this at the distillery), 18 Year Old Ancient Reserve, 30 Year Old and several vintages ('75 and '77). It's a grand whisky once you get past the 12yo.

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Megawatt » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:18 pm

I think the 12 year old is actually quite pleasant, especially the aroma.
Megawatt
Bronze Member

Postby Dubois » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:58 am

"Glenfiddich 18 Yrs, Ancient Reserve" is one of my all-time favorites...
Dubois
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby RogerB » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:32 pm

I have a pretty broad taste in styles, and types, but Glenfiddich 15 and 18 are very very respectable drams.
RogerB
Bronze Member

Postby orangedogofglory » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:26 am

Ganga wrote:TD makes a point that Glenfiddich gets maligned a bit too much. I do like Glenfiddich except for the rum finished ones. If you want to explore some of the thoughts that forum members have had on Glenfiddich please read this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=8668

And then there is the flip side... the rum finished (21yo) is one of my favorite drams! Up there with many of the Balvenie 17 series.
orangedogofglory
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder