Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Midleton VR 2003

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Midleton VR 2003

Postby Aidan » Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:11 am

I was at the launch of this yesterday. I have tasted a few of the Middleton VRs and thought they were nice, but this one was brilliant. Apparently, it's made from whiskeys between 12 and 25 yrs, representing the oldest Midleton VR yet. 75 percent pure pot still. I wouldn't hesitate recommending it to anyone, although it is expensive.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:15 am

Aidian, can you tell me a bit more about this whiskey? I have a friend who will be in Ireland for two weeks starting 23rd March. Where can he buy it and the price etc, any info would help.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Aidan » Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:38 am

Lawrence

You can get it in most supermarkets or offlicienses. It costs 120 euro, but I would recommend getting it in the duty free at the airport, where it can be picked up for about 75 euro, assuming your friend is travelling out of the eurozone. The 2003 is deffinately in the duty free, as I saw it last time.

I would also recommend Redbreast, Greenspot, Jameson Gold, Blackbush, Bushmills 16..., which can be picked up for much cheaper.

The Midleton VR tastes nothing like any of these, though. It's different to any Irish whiskey I've tasted. It's not a monster of a whiskey, but is just beautiful (in my opinoin, of course). The other Midleton VR vintages are not as good.
Aidan

Postby Lawrence » Sat Apr 10, 2004 8:37 pm

Hi Aidian, my friend arrive back from Ireland yesterday with two bottles of Midleton VR 2003 for the Club. I'm not sure when we're going to taste them but I'll let you know what the Club members think of it. I'm really looking forward to it and thanks for your help,

Lawrence
Last edited by Lawrence on Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Aidan » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:09 pm

Lawrence

I really hope you like it (and I@ll be a bit embarrased if you don't). I have a bottle at home and will be opening it soon.

I've just opened my Jameson 15 pure pot still, and love it. Really robust and very full flavoured. Pity they don't make it anymore.
Aidan

Postby Lawrence » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:47 pm

:D I'm sure they'll like it, it's whiskey after all! I'll let you know when the Club has tasted it in due course.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Leonidych » Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:01 pm

Hi Aidan,
They all are very nice - completely agree with you! The reason I purchased my Midleton Very Rare was I liked Redbreast, Greenspot, Jameson 12 etc.. My impression was that MVR is elegant, luscious, round, and downy but too subtle compared to other midletons. Even after your recommendation, I will think twice before buying MVR 2003. I mean, I am sure it is my type of malt but the price!.. 8)
Leonidych

Postby Aidan » Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:00 pm

Leonidych

I suppose it's good for me that I like the robust whiskies like Lagavulin and more elegant whiskies like Midleton VR. I can't lose. It's the 2003 Midleton VR that I really liked.

On the subject, I have bought a bottle of Powers 12 year old the other day. I hadn';t tasted it in a while. Jim Murray didn't rate it that highly in his book, but it's gone up near the top of my list again. Really excellent. It's just what I want in a whiskey. Incidentally, I bought it after having a sniff of an old empty bottle of the stuff.
Aidan

Postby Leonidych » Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:11 am

Aidan,

Yes, I forgot to mention Powers! I've been buying it for six years now. Gold, Millenium - and then Gold again. Dried apricots, thick oily body, long aftertaste, ah, so good... In fact, it is my Irish number 2 or 3, after Redbreast and maybe Greenspot.
Leonidych

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder