Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

A Pour Man's Tasting Notes

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Re: A Pour Man's Tasting Notes

Postby MacDeffe » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:23 pm

Batch 3 just came out!

I'd do the hard job and taste it for you guys in a few weeks :-)

Steffen
User avatar
MacDeffe
Bronze Member
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: aarhus, Denmark

Re: A Pour Man's Tasting Notes

Postby pkt77242 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:48 am

MacDeffe wrote:Batch 3 just came out!

I'd do the hard job and taste it for you guys in a few weeks :-)

Steffen


Let us know how it is, so we can decide if we should load up on batch 1 or 2. :iwbrnt:
User avatar
pkt77242
Matured cask
 
Posts: 10526
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:15 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA

Re: A Pour Man's Tasting Notes

Postby rayor » Tue May 10, 2011 3:13 pm

Nice notes...I enjoyed reading and I'm gonna taste some of them 8)
Why you stop writing? I want more :headbang:
rayor
New member
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 2:36 pm

Re: A Pour Man's Tasting Notes

Postby Ganga » Tue May 10, 2011 3:38 pm

I'll nudge him for you. :thumbsup:
Ganga
Matured cask
 
Posts: 23725
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:57 pm
Location: Sylmar, CA

Re: A Pour Man's Tasting Notes

Postby johan brugge » Tue May 10, 2011 6:54 pm

Hey Sean, how do you compare these new batches against the old version of the Laphroaig CS?
johan brugge
Double Gold Member
 
Posts: 1472
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:40 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: A Pour Man's Tasting Notes

Postby pkt77242 » Wed May 11, 2011 3:42 am

rayor wrote:Nice notes...I enjoyed reading and I'm gonna taste some of them 8)
Why you stop writing? I want more :headbang:


Thanks for the nice words. I will try to post some notes up Friday or Saturday this week. :iwbrnt:
User avatar
pkt77242
Matured cask
 
Posts: 10526
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:15 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA

Re: A Pour Man's Tasting Notes

Postby pkt77242 » Wed May 11, 2011 3:47 am

johan brugge wrote:Hey Sean, how do you compare these new batches against the old version of the Laphroaig CS?


Johan are you referencing the Red lable version? If so I remember that being slighty more sweet than the batch 001 and 002 but it has been a year or two since I tasted the Red stripe version so take my recollection with a grain of salt.
User avatar
pkt77242
Matured cask
 
Posts: 10526
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:15 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA

Re: A Pour Man's Tasting Notes

Postby Ganga » Wed May 11, 2011 3:54 am

In the future I will be doing a Laphroaig tasting. Amongst those that will be tasted are 10 CS Red, Green and at least Batch 1
Ganga
Matured cask
 
Posts: 23725
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:57 pm
Location: Sylmar, CA

Re: A Pour Man's Tasting Notes

Postby pkt77242 » Thu May 12, 2011 2:57 am

Tonight High West Double Rye vs High West Rendezvous Rye.
User avatar
pkt77242
Matured cask
 
Posts: 10526
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:15 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA

Re: A Pour Man's Tasting Notes

Postby pkt77242 » Thu May 12, 2011 3:07 am

First up is the High West Double Rye. A combo of a 2yo rye and a 16yo rye.

N: Big, bold and spicy. Nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, mint, and evergreen. Some fresh cut rye and hints of vanilla, almonds, molasses, and citrus.
P: Spicy nutmeg, evergreen, and mint. Some cinnamon and cloves plus the fresh cut rye. Citrus with a touch of molasses.
F: medium length on evergreen, mint and cinnamon. Some cloves and molasses as well.

Not the most complex whiskey ever but very good. 88 points.
User avatar
pkt77242
Matured cask
 
Posts: 10526
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:15 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA

Re: A Pour Man's Tasting Notes

Postby pkt77242 » Thu May 12, 2011 3:43 am

High West Rendezvous Rye. A combo of 6yo rye and 16yo rye.

N: Soft rye, mint, evergreen, and some citrus. Toffee, molasses, some wheat, and corn. A touch of orange and almonds.
P: Rye is a little bigger on the palate. Fresh cut. Mint and evergreen. Citrus (oranges etc), toffee and a little corn. Some nuts and vanilla. Some oak shavings and coconut.
F: Medium-long on toffee, molasses, mint and vanilla. Some corn, evergreen and citrus show up towards the end, and linger on the tongue. Maybe a touch of coconut.

More complex but not as spicy. 89 points just barely edging out the Double Rye.
User avatar
pkt77242
Matured cask
 
Posts: 10526
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:15 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA

Re: A Pour Man's Tasting Notes

Postby The Third Dram » Fri May 13, 2011 2:36 am

Fascinating to cross-compare your notes of the 'Rendezvous' with my own, Sean...

Batch No. 44, Bottle No. 825 – 46%

Nose: Quite exceptionally delicate, complex and alluring. Toffee coated apples. Caramel. Turkish Delight. Vanilla icing. French toast. Lemon oil. Leather. Moist grass. Mentholated tobacco.

Palate: Clean with intense sweetness. Then bittersweet notes accompanied by spiciness. Buttermilk pancakes. Apple sauce. Oranges. Milk chocolate. A soft surge of Sahara-dry peppery heat rises from beneath, broadens and finally fuses with the other sensations. Vanilla. Smoked almonds. Cinnamon. The bittersweet rye aspect displays a rather subtle, gentle nature until the spices of the younger distillate begin to 'pop' near the finish. And a cooling hint of mint lingers long afterward.

Comment: Incredibly smooth, either poured over a single ice cube or served neat. There's a lot going on here. But you need to pay attention and take the time to fully appreciate the underlying complexity. Simply stunning whiskey!

Yes... I like this one a great deal! :thumbsup:
User avatar
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member
 
Posts: 2406
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:38 pm

Re: A Pour Man's Tasting Notes

Postby pkt77242 » Fri May 13, 2011 3:13 am

The Third Dram wrote:Fascinating to cross-compare your notes of the 'Rendezvous' with my own, Sean...

Batch No. 44, Bottle No. 825 – 46%

Nose: Quite exceptionally delicate, complex and alluring. Toffee coated apples. Caramel. Turkish Delight. Vanilla icing. French toast. Lemon oil. Leather. Moist grass. Mentholated tobacco.

Palate: Clean with intense sweetness. Then bittersweet notes accompanied by spiciness. Buttermilk pancakes. Apple sauce. Oranges. Milk chocolate. A soft surge of Sahara-dry peppery heat rises from beneath, broadens and finally fuses with the other sensations. Vanilla. Smoked almonds. Cinnamon. The bittersweet rye aspect displays a rather subtle, gentle nature until the spices of the younger distillate begin to 'pop' near the finish. And a cooling hint of mint lingers long afterward.

Comment: Incredibly smooth, either poured over a single ice cube or served neat. There's a lot going on here. But you need to pay attention and take the time to fully appreciate the underlying complexity. Simply stunning whiskey!

Yes... I like this one a great deal! :thumbsup:


Great tasting note Doug. :thumbsup: :smoke:
User avatar
pkt77242
Matured cask
 
Posts: 10526
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:15 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA

Re: A Pour Man's Tasting Notes

Postby The Third Dram » Fri May 13, 2011 4:25 am

pkt77242 wrote:Great tasting note Doug. :thumbsup: :smoke:


Thanks Sean.

I really felt this one counted amongst the very best of my 'discoveries' over the last year... which just goes to show that, sometimes, the result of good source material combined with a stroke of masterful blending can equal, if not surpass, any traditional notions concerning provenance.
User avatar
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member
 
Posts: 2406
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:38 pm

Re: A Pour Man's Tasting Notes

Postby pkt77242 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:05 am

After about a month off, I am back with a tasting tonight and one more planned for this weekend. Also I have another one for next week and a couple of beer sessions planned as well. Lets get the summer started.

Tonight will be
Glenfiddich 18
Glenfiddich 15 Distillery Edition 51%
Glenfiddich Snow Phoenix
User avatar
pkt77242
Matured cask
 
Posts: 10526
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:15 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA

Re: A Pour Man's Tasting Notes

Postby pkt77242 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:10 am

Glenfiddich 18

N: Rich sherry, leather, nougat, and some oak shavings. A touch of honey.
P: very similar to the nose with sherry, leather, nougat, and oak shavings. Some vanilla and honey. A touch of cinnamon.
F: medium short on leather, oak shavings, vanilla and the cinnamon.

A very nice dram. Much better than my last bottle.

86 points.
User avatar
pkt77242
Matured cask
 
Posts: 10526
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:15 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA

Re: A Pour Man's Tasting Notes

Postby pkt77242 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:33 am

Glenfiddich 15yo Distillery Edition 51%

N: Cinnamon, brown sugar, and nutmeg. Slightly spicy, hints of oak, citrus and honey.
P: Similar to the nose, with lots of cinnamon and nutmeg. Some slightly bitter oak, vanilla and honey.
F: medium length, spicy with lots of nutmeg and cinnamon. Oak and a touch of citrus at the very end.

An ok whisky, nothing special but interesting to taste Glenfiddich at a higher abv. 83 points.
User avatar
pkt77242
Matured cask
 
Posts: 10526
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:15 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA

Re: A Pour Man's Tasting Notes

Postby pkt77242 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:48 am

Glenfiddich Snow Phoenix

N: Sweet sherry, citrus, and some honey. Also a touch of almonds, pears and nuts.
P: Sherried pears with nuts? Also some honey, and citrus. similar to the nose. A little vanilla and hints of oak.
F: Medium length, on pears, almonds, walnuts, sweet sherry and a touch of honey. Maybe a little vanilla as well.

Very nice. Doesn't live up to the hype but still good.

87 points and the winner of the night.
User avatar
pkt77242
Matured cask
 
Posts: 10526
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:15 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA

Re: A Pour Man's Tasting Notes

Postby Ganga » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:10 am

I can't argue against your thoughts. I will say that the duty free 51% was more interesting than what you have. For me much better than the 18 and Snowey.
Ganga
Matured cask
 
Posts: 23725
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:57 pm
Location: Sylmar, CA

Re: A Pour Man's Tasting Notes

Postby Drrich1965 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:11 am

It has been a while since I have posted here- need to do so more. Good seeing Ganga and some others I "know."

Sore 93 Sm Miltonduff 20yo (46%, D & M afficianado's Club Distilled June 199) June 12, 2011. If I had this blind, I would have thought it was a very old and outstanding bourbon cask Highland Park, or perhaps a vatting of HP with sherry and bourbon (or perhaps, best, not first filled sherry). Why? It is outstanding, with all the complexities and multiplicities that are the best HP. Nose: A deep and rich maltyness, early morning cressants. Spiced cookies. A hint of old port. Just a bit of smoke at the rare moment. Truely complex-spellbinding. Mouth: More smoke and peat than I would have thought. I deep spicyness balances a rich malty center.This is one that will just not last long- I just love it. This is one of those malts that makes me rememmber why I love whisky so damn much, and is full of complexities and suprises that only come from balance. The last few years, I have preferenced and privledged Islay whiskies, but this is one of those ones that makes you reevaluate your tastes. Stunning.
Drrich1965
Gold Member
 
Posts: 881
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:34 pm
Location: Tacoma, WA

Re: A Pour Man's Tasting Notes

Postby pkt77242 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:46 am

Drrich1965 wrote:It has been a while since I have posted here- need to do so more. Good seeing Ganga and some others I "know."

Sore 93 Sm Miltonduff 20yo (46%, D & M afficianado's Club Distilled June 199) June 12, 2011. If I had this blind, I would have thought it was a very old and outstanding bourbon cask Highland Park, or perhaps a vatting of HP with sherry and bourbon (or perhaps, best, not first filled sherry). Why? It is outstanding, with all the complexities and multiplicities that are the best HP. Nose: A deep and rich maltyness, early morning cressants. Spiced cookies. A hint of old port. Just a bit of smoke at the rare moment. Truely complex-spellbinding. Mouth: More smoke and peat than I would have thought. I deep spicyness balances a rich malty center.This is one that will just not last long- I just love it. This is one of those malts that makes me rememmber why I love whisky so damn much, and is full of complexities and suprises that only come from balance. The last few years, I have preferenced and privledged Islay whiskies, but this is one of those ones that makes you reevaluate your tastes. Stunning.


Great to have you back Drrich.
User avatar
pkt77242
Matured cask
 
Posts: 10526
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:15 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA

Re: A Pour Man's Tasting Notes

Postby pkt77242 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:51 am

AD Rattray Caol Ila 1984 26yo bourbon cask 43.5%

N: Big coal smoke, diesel, smoked fish and olive brine. hints of licorice and lemon in the background. Big for 43.5%
P: Some coal smoke upfront then smoke fish and olive brine. A touch of lemon and lime. Also a little barley.
F: Medium with a big hit of the coal smoke with some smoked fish. some lemon, salt and olive brine.

A very good whisky. Tastes bigger than the 43.5% and younger than the 26 years.

88 points.
User avatar
pkt77242
Matured cask
 
Posts: 10526
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:15 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA

Re: A Pour Man's Tasting Notes

Postby pkt77242 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:07 am

Caol Ila 25yo OB 58.4% 2005 release

N: Olive brine, lemon, malt and some smoked fish. hints of green bean and vanilla. Almost a smell of some roast beef.
P: similar to the nose. Olive brine, smoked fish, lemon and some barley. Hints of the green bean, cucumber and vanilla. Maybe a little root and licorice.
F: Medium long on smoked fish, olive brine and lemon. A little root and vanilla hang on till the end.

A very nice malt. A tad more complex and well rounded but not as in your face.

90 points. and yummy to me.
User avatar
pkt77242
Matured cask
 
Posts: 10526
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:15 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA

Re: A Pour Man's Tasting Notes

Postby Ganga » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:17 am

I get this mixed greens from the OB 25s which just isn't too my palate. Oh well, glad you enjoy them.
Ganga
Matured cask
 
Posts: 23725
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:57 pm
Location: Sylmar, CA

Re: A Pour Man's Tasting Notes

Postby pkt77242 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:27 am

Ganga wrote:I get this mixed greens from the OB 25s which just isn't too my palate. Oh well, glad you enjoy them.


That is why I added the yummy to me part.
User avatar
pkt77242
Matured cask
 
Posts: 10526
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:15 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA

Re: A Pour Man's Tasting Notes

Postby johan brugge » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:52 am

pkt77242 wrote:Caol Ila 25yo OB 58.4% 2005 release

N: Olive brine, lemon, malt and some smoked fish. hints of green bean and vanilla. Almost a smell of some roast beef.
P: similar to the nose. Olive brine, smoked fish, lemon and some barley. Hints of the green bean, cucumber and vanilla. Maybe a little root and licorice.
F: Medium long on smoked fish, olive brine and lemon. A little root and vanilla hang on till the end.

A very nice malt. A tad more complex and well rounded but not as in your face.

90 points. and yummy to me.

This sounds really nice, Sean. I'm curious to find out if my Caol Ila 25yo 1978 tastes about the same.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member
 
Posts: 1472
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:40 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: A Pour Man's Tasting Notes

Postby pkt77242 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:43 pm

A couple of summer beers.

New Belgium Somersault

N: pine, apricots and lemon zest. A little oats as well.
P: Apricots and pine. Lemons and oats. A little spice.
F: short on lemon and pine. Slightly bitter.

78 points.
User avatar
pkt77242
Matured cask
 
Posts: 10526
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:15 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA

Re: A Pour Man's Tasting Notes

Postby pkt77242 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:05 pm

Widmet Critra Blonde summer brew

N:peaches, grapefruit and some hops.
P: similar to the nose. Peaches, grapefruit, hops and a touch of wheat. Rather carbonated.
F: short on carbonated peach and grapfruit juice.

A very good summer brew but not very complex. 82 points.
User avatar
pkt77242
Matured cask
 
Posts: 10526
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:15 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA

Re: A Pour Man's Tasting Notes

Postby johan brugge » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:41 pm

pkt77242 wrote:New Belgium Somersault

What the hell is that? Are you sure this is a Belgian beer? I've never heard of it before.
johan brugge
Double Gold Member
 
Posts: 1472
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:40 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: A Pour Man's Tasting Notes

Postby pkt77242 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:09 am

johan brugge wrote:
pkt77242 wrote:New Belgium Somersault

What the hell is that? Are you sure this is a Belgian beer? I've never heard of it before.


It isn't a Belgian Brewery Johan, they are located in Colorado Springs, Colorado (I believe) in the US.
User avatar
pkt77242
Matured cask
 
Posts: 10526
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:15 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA

Re: A Pour Man's Tasting Notes

Postby pkt77242 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:25 am

Tonight 3 Stone Brewery Beers.

Starting with Stone Levitation (amber) Ale 4.4%

N: Apricots, pears, malty, caramel and just a little of hoppy bitterness. A touch of fresh baked whole grain bread.
P: Apricots and pears with lots of malt and a little caramel. Hops are there but in the background. gets hoppier by the moment.
F: medium-short with lots of hoppy bitterness and malt/whole grain bread. Just a touch of apricot sweetness on the finish.

Tastes bigger than 4.4% and a damn good beer. Probably the best Amber Ale I have had. 87 points
User avatar
pkt77242
Matured cask
 
Posts: 10526
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:15 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA

Re: A Pour Man's Tasting Notes

Postby pkt77242 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:26 am

Stone Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale 7.2%

N: Big caramel, malts, butterscotch, a touch of hops and some vanilla. A little barley and molasses.
P: Loads of vanilla and caramel. Some butterscotch and a little oak shavings. Some malt and a hint of hops.
F: shortish on vanilla, caramel and malt. Slightly bitter.

Not a bad whisky but a little overloaded with the vanilla and caramel. 84 points
User avatar
pkt77242
Matured cask
 
Posts: 10526
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:15 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA

Re: A Pour Man's Tasting Notes

Postby pkt77242 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:08 am

Stone Ruination Imperial IPA 7.7%

N: Pine dominates with some grapefruit peel and tart lemon juice. Some bitter hops
P: Big bitter hops with pine, grapefruit peel and lemon. A touch of malt and caramel but they don't last long against the hops. A touch of other citrus as well (mostly orange) and a little white pepper.
F: Long and bitter. Piney hops and grapefruit. Did I mention that it was long? a couple of minutes later the piney bitter grapefruit lingers.

A damn good Imperial IPA. Not the greatest beer in the world but extremely enjoyable, though I can't have more than one of these in a sitting. 88 points.
User avatar
pkt77242
Matured cask
 
Posts: 10526
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:15 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA

Re: A Pour Man's Tasting Notes

Postby Ganga » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:17 am

pkt77242 wrote:Stone Oaked Arrogant Bastard Ale 7.2%

N: Big caramel, malts, butterscotch, a touch of hops and some vanilla. A little barley and molasses.
P: Loads of vanilla and caramel. Some butterscotch and a little oak shavings. Some malt and a hint of hops.
F: shortish on vanilla, caramel and malt. Slightly bitter.

Not a bad whisky but a little overloaded with the vanilla and caramel. 84 points


This sounds like a horrible whisky given the proof. :D
Ganga
Matured cask
 
Posts: 23725
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:57 pm
Location: Sylmar, CA

Re: A Pour Man's Tasting Notes

Postby pkt77242 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:27 am

Tonight 3 Deschutes brewery ales.

First up, Twilight Ale

N: Big malts, apricots, apples, hints of citrus and just a touch of hops.
P: Malt, apple cider, apricots and a little hops and hay.
F: shortish on apple cider, apricots and malt.

A nice beer to drink but by no means complex. 81 points.
User avatar
pkt77242
Matured cask
 
Posts: 10526
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:15 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ USA

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder