Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Brora

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Brora

Postby Drammed » Fri May 07, 2010 8:53 pm

Is there any current production whiskeys that taste similar to Brora?
Drammed
Gold Member

Re: Brora

Postby Willie JJ » Fri May 07, 2010 9:31 pm

If only there were.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Wave » Sat May 08, 2010 8:13 am

Current? No

The only other whisky I found to be Brora-like is Millburn but that is even more fewer and farther between than Brora!

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby MacDeffe » Sat May 08, 2010 10:12 am

I find Clynelish to be very similar to Brora, which isn't so surprising as its as much the same distillery as any other rebuilt-in-70's Diageo destilleries are, only difference is that Brora/Clynelish ran side by side for years

I havent found anything similar to the peated Brora style from early-mid seventies though, which is probably what brought Brora to fame

MAcdeffe
MacDeffe
Bronze Member

Postby The Third Dram » Sun May 09, 2010 4:46 pm

You could, I suppose, attempt combining carefully calculated quantities of Longrow (has that requisite 'industrial' smokiness), Bruichladdich (for its melding of fruit sweetness and shoreline characteristics), Glenlivet CS Nàdurra (for its floral, green tea, citrus and ginger root thrust) as well as Old Pulteney (saltiness, of course), and see what you've come up with. Might be interesting. Might even offer a reasonably close Brora 'imitation'.

I agree that the odd Clynelish (particularly from the Rare Malts Selection series) has also hinted at Brora's magic. Still different in the final analysis, however.

Drammed wrote:Is there any current production whiskeys that taste similar to Brora?

I really don't believe so.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby corbuso » Mon May 10, 2010 1:51 pm

Drammed wrote:Is there any current production whiskeys that taste similar to Brora?

Like Willie said, not really.
But if you can, try some Ledaig, Glen Garioch or Caol Ila from the 1971-75.
Very good too, but not easy to source either...
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Tue May 11, 2010 5:29 pm

If the story is true and my memory is good (a highly speculative pairing at best), Brora was peated in the early 1970s to replace production at an Islay distillery (CI?) while it was upgraded. Somehow, I think vintage Islay from this period is about as expensive as getting Brora.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby MacDeffe » Tue May 11, 2010 5:58 pm

I heard the same exact story as you told there Ganga, and yes, the distillery that was being rebuilt on islay was Diageos Caol Ila

Macdeffe
MacDeffe
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder