Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Light but, DE-licious!

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Light but, DE-licious!

Postby SixCats! » Thu May 13, 2010 12:27 am

Hi all,

SixCats! (newbie) here. I am very new to Whisky & Whiskey tasting.
I'm a recent fan of Irish Whiskies (Redbreast, Powers, Bushmills, etc.) as well as Scotch (my first bottle now nearly 3/4's gone)
"The Famous Grouse Gold Reserve". Anyway, my first taste of
"The Famous Grouse GR" several weeks ago was...a bit off putting!
I thought to myself, "God, did I make a mistake or what ?" However, it should be noted that I have not had ANY hard liquor in years, and my negative reaction was in part due to this fact. Upon the second or third night of tasting, I began to rather enjoy "The FG GR". However, tonight, I am here to talk about a Horse of a different color.
While visiting a State of NH Liquor store, I couldn't pass up buying a bottle of TAMDHU 10 (Speyside) for the outrageous price of $22.00
(heck, I'm a bargain kind of guy). Well tonight I just popped the Cork on the Tamdhu 10 and poured myself a shots worth. I let the beautiful color liquor sit for about ten minutes before tasting. OK, I realize I am a "newbie" here and I don't have the experience to wax eloquent about Whisky/Whiskey but, this much I can tell you, TAMDHU 10
(although on the light side) is one DE-licious tasting dram!
The flavor is so darn good (and the cost soooo inexpensive) I think Tamdhu 10 could become the Scotch to drink when I'm not drinking Scotch. Now I understand why Whiskyfun rated this lovely dram 90 points! I think I'll buy myself another bottle for twenty two dollars.

Regards,
SixCats! aka Tom
SixCats!

Re: Light but, DE-licious!

Postby lockejn » Thu May 13, 2010 12:32 am

Wow. I may have to try another bottle. I bought one in the fall when they first came to the state and was not impressed at all. Since I finished it I've heard positive comments from several other folks including yours. Maybe I got a bad batch.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby SixCats! » Thu May 13, 2010 12:46 am

Hi lock,

Well Sir, again, I am just a "newbie" with little experience in this hobby.
That being said, despite Tamdhu ten being very light/smooth/gentle tasting, I find it is just plain delicious tasting. I have never drank any whisky/whiskey so quickly! I want to pour myself another dram right now but, if I drink more than a couple of shots worth, I find myself rather tired in the morning. Well, I think what I'll do is drink some water for the time being and later (about an hour and a half from now) I'll have another shots worth. If there is a down side to this Whisky, it's easy to drink too much due to it's lovely taste.

Regards,
SixCats!
SixCats!

Postby Ganga » Thu May 13, 2010 2:08 am

I like Tamdhu. It is a fantastic whisky when it gets some age on it! (Reminds me of old Bowmore without the peat). The 10 is a very nice dram. If you like it, stock up as they have recently mothballed the distillery.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby SixCats! » Thu May 13, 2010 2:45 am

Hi Ganga,

Thanks for the "heads up" on the distillery. I will more than likely grab at least another bottle (or two) to put aside.

Regards,
SixCats!
SixCats!

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder