Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Lagavulin 16 Y.O

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Lagavulin 16 Y.O

Postby Ize » Tue Jan 15, 2002 3:11 pm

Hello all friends of whiskys,

forum seems to be bit quiet, so I decided to add comment on Lagavulin.

I am newbie with whiskys, but have I "hit gold" with my first try with this Islay whisky? It has excellent taste of peat, smoke and should I say even tar and yet it is very smooth. I taste also some syrup/honey in it with bit of a vanilla, but it is told to be one of the driest Islay whisky. So I guess among whiskys the term dry does not mean sweetness .. or?

I have liked (and still like) earlier Bushmill's Black Bush and Black Label Johnny Walker, so I have a "thing" on smoke. ;-) Maybe I should try other smoky Islay whiskys like Ardbeg and Laphroaig?
Ize
Silver Member

Lagavulin 16 Y.O

Postby Ize » Tue Jan 15, 2002 3:11 pm

Hello all friends of whiskys,

forum seems to be bit quiet, so I decided to add comment on Lagavulin.

I am newbie with whiskys, but have I "hit gold" with my first try with this Islay whisky? It has excellent taste of peat, smoke and should I say even tar and yet it is very smooth. I taste also some syrup/honey in it with bit of a vanilla, but it is told to be one of the driest Islay whisky. So I guess among whiskys the term dry does not mean sweetness .. or?

I have liked (and still like) earlier Bushmill's Black Bush and Black Label Johnny Walker, so I have a "thing" on smoke. ;-) Maybe I should try other smoky Islay whiskys like Ardbeg and Laphroaig?
Ize
Silver Member

Postby SpeedyJohn » Tue Jan 15, 2002 3:19 pm

Some may say you have struck the mother lode. Lagavulin 16yo is generally considered to be one of the finest single malts available, regardless of age or price. It is one of my favorite whiskies (if that means anything).

I would strongly recommend you try Ardbeg, Laphroaig and all the Islay whiskies. Hell, I recommend you try any whisky (or whiskey) you can get your hands on! That's the fun of this "hobby"--exploration and discovery. ENJOY :-)

Slainte,
SJ
SpeedyJohn

Postby SpeedyJohn » Tue Jan 15, 2002 3:19 pm

Some may say you have struck the mother lode. Lagavulin 16yo is generally considered to be one of the finest single malts available, regardless of age or price. It is one of my favorite whiskies (if that means anything).

I would strongly recommend you try Ardbeg, Laphroaig and all the Islay whiskies. Hell, I recommend you try any whisky (or whiskey) you can get your hands on! That's the fun of this "hobby"--exploration and discovery. ENJOY :-)

Slainte,
SJ
SpeedyJohn

Postby Ize » Wed Jan 16, 2002 2:09 pm

I have tasted Bunnahabhain 12 Y.O. but it was bit of a disappointment, quite smokeless and only mentionable taste was acrid back in the throat. Laphroaig I have tasted also, but the tasting conditions (and the condition of the taster) does not give any grounds to give opinion, except it was good and drinkable. ;-) I have to give another try for Laphroaig and also include Ardbeg to tasting list. Another approach might be to save some money and buy Port Ellen 21 Y.O. ... but maybe I'm not worthy. :)
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Ize » Wed Jan 16, 2002 2:09 pm

I have tasted Bunnahabhain 12 Y.O. but it was bit of a disappointment, quite smokeless and only mentionable taste was acrid back in the throat. Laphroaig I have tasted also, but the tasting conditions (and the condition of the taster) does not give any grounds to give opinion, except it was good and drinkable. ;-) I have to give another try for Laphroaig and also include Ardbeg to tasting list. Another approach might be to save some money and buy Port Ellen 21 Y.O. ... but maybe I'm not worthy. :)
Ize
Silver Member

Postby St.Peat » Sun Jan 27, 2002 2:33 pm

You may enjoy Laphroaig's 15YO -- only a few dollars more than Lag-16. This one also has some refined qualities to it.
Cheers!
St.Peat
Bronze Member

Postby St.Peat » Sun Jan 27, 2002 2:33 pm

You may enjoy Laphroaig's 15YO -- only a few dollars more than Lag-16. This one also has some refined qualities to it.
Cheers!
St.Peat
Bronze Member

Postby howarths » Thu Jan 31, 2002 5:54 pm

Ize, It's always good to find an excellent whisky. I've never tried the 16yo Lagavulin so can't comment however my personal taste is to keep away from phenolic (hospital smells) whisky's and Laphroig is one such culprit.
Having said that though I have yet to come across a "bad" whisky in the sense of it being undrinkable. I mean if it's Laphroig or nothing then I'll have a large Laphroig please!!

FWIW I also have a bottle of 1977 Ardbeg which I am not too impressed with either given the hype - however it's definititely down to my taste and nothing else so TRY THEM ALL!
howarths

Postby howarths » Thu Jan 31, 2002 5:54 pm

Ize, It's always good to find an excellent whisky. I've never tried the 16yo Lagavulin so can't comment however my personal taste is to keep away from phenolic (hospital smells) whisky's and Laphroig is one such culprit.
Having said that though I have yet to come across a "bad" whisky in the sense of it being undrinkable. I mean if it's Laphroig or nothing then I'll have a large Laphroig please!!

FWIW I also have a bottle of 1977 Ardbeg which I am not too impressed with either given the hype - however it's definititely down to my taste and nothing else so TRY THEM ALL!
howarths

Postby Steve » Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:28 pm

I would rate the Ardbeg 1977 as a similar drink to Lagavulin 16yo. Both have a massive mouth-filling taste and are really good and complex. I am suprised another poster wasn't impressed with Ardbeg - I'm definitely a big fan & would say it's my favourite distillery. You must try Ardbeg if it's one you've overlooked before.
Steve

Postby Steve » Thu Jan 31, 2002 9:28 pm

I would rate the Ardbeg 1977 as a similar drink to Lagavulin 16yo. Both have a massive mouth-filling taste and are really good and complex. I am suprised another poster wasn't impressed with Ardbeg - I'm definitely a big fan & would say it's my favourite distillery. You must try Ardbeg if it's one you've overlooked before.
Steve

Postby mczyx » Thu Feb 21, 2002 7:49 pm

You have "hit gold" but there is no ONE winner in wiskey land Image if you like'd the smokey caracter of the Lag. try Talisker 10yrs."not so expensive". and if you liked the sweetness try the Balvenie 21yrs.'Port Finish' or Highland Park 18yrs."a little expensive" Enjoy Image Image
mczyx

Postby mczyx » Thu Feb 21, 2002 7:49 pm

You have "hit gold" but there is no ONE winner in wiskey land Image if you like'd the smokey caracter of the Lag. try Talisker 10yrs."not so expensive". and if you liked the sweetness try the Balvenie 21yrs.'Port Finish' or Highland Park 18yrs."a little expensive" Enjoy Image Image
mczyx

Postby Ize » Fri Feb 22, 2002 8:52 am

Heh, that's true. It's not like "Highlander, in the end there can be only one". ;-)

Anyway, I do have ordered Highland Park 12 Y.O. ... since it was a bargain, hopefully it will get anywhere near to 18 Y.O. So let us see, friend of mine ordered Talisker and hopefully he will offer me a sip of it. Ardbeg and Laphroaig are next on the list. I will also check out also Connemara in near future.
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Ize » Fri Feb 22, 2002 8:52 am

Heh, that's true. It's not like "Highlander, in the end there can be only one". ;-)

Anyway, I do have ordered Highland Park 12 Y.O. ... since it was a bargain, hopefully it will get anywhere near to 18 Y.O. So let us see, friend of mine ordered Talisker and hopefully he will offer me a sip of it. Ardbeg and Laphroaig are next on the list. I will also check out also Connemara in near future.
Ize
Silver Member

Postby mczyx » Sat Feb 23, 2002 12:47 am

Highland park is a bargain jou did good ordering it. And sit down with your talisker friend and compare the whisky's
Image You'll Have a great time Image
Any way does anybody know a fresh fruity whisky for the spring (i tasted a lot of smokey's this winter)
mczyx

Postby mczyx » Sat Feb 23, 2002 12:47 am

Highland park is a bargain jou did good ordering it. And sit down with your talisker friend and compare the whisky's
Image You'll Have a great time Image
Any way does anybody know a fresh fruity whisky for the spring (i tasted a lot of smokey's this winter)
mczyx

Postby Iain » Mon Feb 25, 2002 10:19 am

mczyx - I think Glen Grant 10 yo would be worth investigating. It has the added advantage (in UK) that it is inexpensive.
Unfortunately, it is not available in many countries.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Iain » Mon Feb 25, 2002 10:19 am

mczyx - I think Glen Grant 10 yo would be worth investigating. It has the added advantage (in UK) that it is inexpensive.
Unfortunately, it is not available in many countries.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Feb 26, 2002 9:18 pm

Hi Ize,

A shame about your experience with Bunnahabhain 12Y old, it's one of the softest Islay malts, because it's a unpeated malt, no wonder no smokiness, but yet so surprising. It's certainly worth to investigate the older Bunnahabhains especially the pre-70's bottles because they where at that time still peated.

Also worth, If you like Islay, is a nice Caol-Ila eihetr from Signatory or from the hart Brothers, both are excellent...

Slainte,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Feb 26, 2002 9:18 pm

Hi Ize,

A shame about your experience with Bunnahabhain 12Y old, it's one of the softest Islay malts, because it's a unpeated malt, no wonder no smokiness, but yet so surprising. It's certainly worth to investigate the older Bunnahabhains especially the pre-70's bottles because they where at that time still peated.

Also worth, If you like Islay, is a nice Caol-Ila eihetr from Signatory or from the hart Brothers, both are excellent...

Slainte,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby bartok » Wed Feb 27, 2002 6:04 pm

some thoughts on Islay- Lets begin with the superb Lagavulin16.Has anyone else noticed the label change?I am referring to the change from the royal coat of arms to the sailboat.I compared the last dram of the older version with the freshly opened new bottle and found the old version infinitesimally superior.Now this could simply be the result of the new bottle not having a few days to breath but then again maybe not.

[This message has been edited by bartok (edited 27 February 2002).]
bartok

Postby bartok » Wed Feb 27, 2002 6:04 pm

some thoughts on Islay- Lets begin with the superb Lagavulin16.Has anyone else noticed the label change?I am referring to the change from the royal coat of arms to the sailboat.I compared the last dram of the older version with the freshly opened new bottle and found the old version infinitesimally superior.Now this could simply be the result of the new bottle not having a few days to breath but then again maybe not.

[This message has been edited by bartok (edited 27 February 2002).]
bartok

Postby MrAndySais » Sun Mar 10, 2002 1:22 pm

Hi all,

I am a newbie to this forum and to the wonderful world of Whisky. I started drinking and collecting Whisky in October/November 2001. Yesterday I got my 60th bottle. Image
I also like Lagavulin a lot. Two days ago I was fortunate to get the last bottle of the Distiller´s Edition (Pedro Ximenez Finish) and I was blown away! This might be the best Whisky I have had so far.
I am not good at describing taste (I am from Germany, so please excuse my bad English) but I´ll try. The Distiller´s Edition tastes more rounded, sweeter (caramel?) but at the same intense. I hope that makes sense. I can recommend that bottle to everybody who likes the 16-y.o. Lagavulin. Image

Regards,
Andy
MrAndySais

Postby MrAndySais » Sun Mar 10, 2002 1:22 pm

Hi all,

I am a newbie to this forum and to the wonderful world of Whisky. I started drinking and collecting Whisky in October/November 2001. Yesterday I got my 60th bottle. Image
I also like Lagavulin a lot. Two days ago I was fortunate to get the last bottle of the Distiller´s Edition (Pedro Ximenez Finish) and I was blown away! This might be the best Whisky I have had so far.
I am not good at describing taste (I am from Germany, so please excuse my bad English) but I´ll try. The Distiller´s Edition tastes more rounded, sweeter (caramel?) but at the same intense. I hope that makes sense. I can recommend that bottle to everybody who likes the 16-y.o. Lagavulin. Image

Regards,
Andy
MrAndySais

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 11, 2002 4:43 pm

Nothing can beat the real Lagavulin. I had a vertical tasting once and tasted several Lagavulins, and that's still the best.....

Slainte,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 11, 2002 4:43 pm

Nothing can beat the real Lagavulin. I had a vertical tasting once and tasted several Lagavulins, and that's still the best.....

Slainte,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Ize » Tue Mar 12, 2002 8:45 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mczyx:
Highland park is a bargain jou did good ordering it. And sit down with your talisker friend and compare the whisky's<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Highland Park 12 Y.O. was excellent, not that I would rate it better than Lagavulin 16 Y.O. but still. ;-) If I gave full 10 for Lagavulin, I would rate this H.P. to 9.25. Next weekend I hope to have sip or two of Talisker 10 Y.O. Image

I also tasted Scapa 12 Y.O. last week which was also good, smooth, easy to drink with nuance of vanilla .. but how would I say ... bit too roundish (clinical) to my taste. But anyway I would give 8.75 to it. Image
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Ize » Tue Mar 12, 2002 8:45 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mczyx:
Highland park is a bargain jou did good ordering it. And sit down with your talisker friend and compare the whisky's<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Highland Park 12 Y.O. was excellent, not that I would rate it better than Lagavulin 16 Y.O. but still. ;-) If I gave full 10 for Lagavulin, I would rate this H.P. to 9.25. Next weekend I hope to have sip or two of Talisker 10 Y.O. Image

I also tasted Scapa 12 Y.O. last week which was also good, smooth, easy to drink with nuance of vanilla .. but how would I say ... bit too roundish (clinical) to my taste. But anyway I would give 8.75 to it. Image
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Chris Brousseau » Tue Mar 12, 2002 8:19 pm

Hi other Islay whisky lovers - do not forget Caol Ila and Bomore for peat. Caol Ila is mid range but it is hard to beat the Bowmore 12 yo or Mariner (15 yo) for a good balance of peat reek and floral, aromatic, smooth whisky. I find Caol Ila a little salty but some bottlings are fine.

And if you can get it, Port Ellen is a very light,smooth, and moderately peated excellent whisky.

Chris
Chris Brousseau

Postby Chris Brousseau » Tue Mar 12, 2002 8:19 pm

Hi other Islay whisky lovers - do not forget Caol Ila and Bomore for peat. Caol Ila is mid range but it is hard to beat the Bowmore 12 yo or Mariner (15 yo) for a good balance of peat reek and floral, aromatic, smooth whisky. I find Caol Ila a little salty but some bottlings are fine.

And if you can get it, Port Ellen is a very light,smooth, and moderately peated excellent whisky.

Chris
Chris Brousseau

Postby MrAndySais » Tue Mar 12, 2002 10:53 pm

Hi all,

I have a Caol Ila by Dun Bheagan and must say that this Whisky is amongst my best three bottles. I really love the bacon-like taste. I have a Coal Ila by another company which doesn´t come even close to Dun Bhegean´s .

Andy
MrAndySais

Postby MrAndySais » Tue Mar 12, 2002 10:53 pm

Hi all,

I have a Caol Ila by Dun Bheagan and must say that this Whisky is amongst my best three bottles. I really love the bacon-like taste. I have a Coal Ila by another company which doesn´t come even close to Dun Bhegean´s .

Andy
MrAndySais

Postby Ize » Thu Mar 14, 2002 7:32 am

Alright, Islay (and other peat&smoke whiskies) tastings have continued. Image

I received small bottle of Laphroaig 10 Y.O. It was untaimed, wild, very smoky but less peat (tar) taste than in Lagavulin and saltier. Excellent stuff, I love it, I would give 9.5 to it.

One acquaintance bought sherry cask Port Ellen Douglas Laing bottling(?) 18Y-1981, but that bottle is unreachable to me, price is way too high to my wallet. Image

Bowmore and Caol Ila I will test/taste next after I got Ardbeg on my hands. ;-)

Kippis,
Ize

Btw. Should I buy 17 Y.O. Ardbeg or is 10 Y.O. Ardbeg near to same? I guess 17 Y.O. is off the market for sometime in near future, or?

[This message has been edited by Ize (edited 14 March 2002).]
Ize
Silver Member

Next

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder