Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Highland Park

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Highland Park

Postby gugadja » Sat Jun 09, 2001 8:57 pm

I recently visited the George V in Paris where I was introduced to a fine Highland Park Scotch. Per my poor memory it was an "Old Reserve" and I thought it was a 66. However, I can find no reference on the HP website or elsewhere to either. It was as smooth as a cognac and I would love to find it. Could this be the 75? Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated, as would guidance as to where i might find it in the U.S.
gugadja

Highland Park

Postby gugadja » Sat Jun 09, 2001 8:57 pm

I recently visited the George V in Paris where I was introduced to a fine Highland Park Scotch. Per my poor memory it was an "Old Reserve" and I thought it was a 66. However, I can find no reference on the HP website or elsewhere to either. It was as smooth as a cognac and I would love to find it. Could this be the 75? Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated, as would guidance as to where i might find it in the U.S.
gugadja

Postby JVP » Sat Jun 16, 2001 6:45 pm

Hi Gugadja

Despite being a devoted Highland Park fan I have to honest and say I too have never heard of 'Old Reserve'. Maybe it is a long lost independent bottling?
Either way try logging onto the official Highland Park website at www.highlandpark.co.uk and sending them an e-mail. Go to the source!!!
Next time I am in Paris I think I'll drop into the George V for a dram!

Good luck...........JVP
JVP

Postby JVP » Sat Jun 16, 2001 6:45 pm

Hi Gugadja

Despite being a devoted Highland Park fan I have to honest and say I too have never heard of 'Old Reserve'. Maybe it is a long lost independent bottling?
Either way try logging onto the official Highland Park website at www.highlandpark.co.uk and sending them an e-mail. Go to the source!!!

Good luck...........JVP
JVP

Postby gugadja » Sat Jun 16, 2001 7:14 pm

Hi JVP,
Thanks for your reply. If I might take advantage of your familiarity with HP, could you recommend one that is less peaty. Is the 18 year old as much so as the 12? All are difficult to get here. I have to order from Chicago area, so a "tasting" is not possible. My preferences have been Glenmorangie (especially the port wood finish), Oban, Aberlour (antique), and The Balvenie. The HP I had at George V was far superior; I just didn't sense the smokiness I thought was part of the HP definition. Do you know if the 1975 or other HPs lack this? I prefer Laphroig et al only on a very cold day.

Thanks again,
Gugadja

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JVP:
<B>Hi Gugadja

Good luck...........JVP</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
gugadja

Postby gugadja » Sat Jun 16, 2001 7:14 pm

Hi JVP,
Thanks for your reply. If I might take advantage of your familiarity with HP, could you recommend one that is less peaty. Is the 18 year old as much so as the 12? All are difficult to get here. I have to order from Chicago area, so a "tasting" is not possible. My preferences have been Glenmorangie (especially the port wood finish), Oban, Aberlour (antique), and The Balvenie. The HP I had at George V was far superior; I just didn't sense the smokiness I thought was part of the HP definition. Do you know if the 1975 or other HPs lack this? I prefer Laphroig et al only on a very cold day.

Thanks again,
Gugadja

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JVP:
<B>Hi Gugadja

Good luck...........JVP</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
gugadja

Postby MSelkirk » Fri Jun 29, 2001 3:16 am

Hi Gugadja!
If you enjoyed the Highland Park's smoothness but want a bit less peat, AND if you really liked Glenmorangie's Port Wood, I would highly recommend the Talisker 1986 finished in Amoroso wood! If you can't find that on, I hear that the new 1987 is essentially the same whisky bottled a year later, though I haven't tried it yet: My bottle is on the way from Scotland as we type...
Also, though a bit harder to come by, the Edradour "Distillery Edition" is bursting with peat, but the flavor of dirt is masked a bit with a deliciously sweet banana and almond flavor that I usually spot on the second or third sip. Very nice whisky, that Edradour!
-Mark
MSelkirk

Postby MSelkirk » Fri Jun 29, 2001 3:16 am

Hi Gugadja!
If you enjoyed the Highland Park's smoothness but want a bit less peat, AND if you really liked Glenmorangie's Port Wood, I would highly recommend the Talisker 1986 finished in Amoroso wood! If you can't find that on, I hear that the new 1987 is essentially the same whisky bottled a year later, though I haven't tried it yet: My bottle is on the way from Scotland as we type...
Also, though a bit harder to come by, the Edradour "Distillery Edition" is bursting with peat, but the flavor of dirt is masked a bit with a deliciously sweet banana and almond flavor that I usually spot on the second or third sip. Very nice whisky, that Edradour!
-Mark
MSelkirk

Postby JVP » Wed Jul 11, 2001 7:32 pm

Hi again Gugadja
Personally I don't find the 12 year old that peaty but I guess it is all personal taste. You could always try Scapa which is also from Orkney, although I think it is now operated by Highland Park. It has only a hint of peat and is quite honey sweet, maybe more your style?
Mark's advice to try Talisker is another good option. I would add to that and recommend Cragganmore which is quite delicate but still with a touch of sweetness. All of these you should be able to source in the US.

Slante!

JVP
JVP

Postby JVP » Wed Jul 11, 2001 7:32 pm

Hi again Gugadja
Personally I don't find the 12 year old that peaty but I guess it is all personal taste. You could always try Scapa which is also from Orkney, although I think it is now operated by Highland Park. It has only a hint of peat and is quite honey sweet, maybe more your style?
Mark's advice to try Talisker is another good option. I would add to that and recommend Cragganmore which is quite delicate but still with a touch of sweetness. All of these you should be able to source in the US.

Slante!

JVP
JVP

Postby bartok » Wed Feb 27, 2002 6:20 pm

highlandpark- recently compared the final dram in a six month old bottle of Highlandpark12 with a freshly opened bottle of Highlandpark18. I found them similar and if anything would give the nod to the 12.To my tastes I enjoy Talisker10 more than either HP's.
bartok

Postby bartok » Wed Feb 27, 2002 6:20 pm

highlandpark- recently compared the final dram in a six month old bottle of Highlandpark12 with a freshly opened bottle of Highlandpark18. I found them similar and if anything would give the nod to the 12.To my tastes I enjoy Talisker10 more than either HP's.
bartok

Postby gugadja » Fri Mar 01, 2002 7:15 pm

Hi Bartok,

With a recommendation from someone on this BB, I went through the same process you did over the past few months. I like the 12 year old HP a bit more than the 18 as well. Neither is anything like the "Old Reserve" I tried last summer in Paris. HP has expanded the range of its line that it offers for sale direct to people in the U.S., so I'm going to go after the 1975 next.

I recently bought a bottle of Edradour (in Whitefish, Montana - I haven't seen it elsewhere in the west), which comes from the smallest single malt distiller in Scotland. I didn't know what to expect. It was good, memorable, somewhat similar to the Aberlour.

A friend of mine just came back from Scotland and brought me a bottle of Craggenmore. I really liked it. I can get it here, but remembered it differently from what it actually was.

I'll get the Talisker next time I'm at the bottle shop. Thanks for the tip.
Gugadja

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bartok:
highlandpark- recently compared the final dram in a six month old bottle of Highlandpark12 with a freshly opened bottle of Highlandpark18. I found them similar and if anything would give the nod to the 12.To my tastes I enjoy Talisker10 more than either HP's. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
gugadja

Postby gugadja » Fri Mar 01, 2002 7:15 pm

Hi Bartok,

With a recommendation from someone on this BB, I went through the same process you did over the past few months. I like the 12 year old HP a bit more than the 18 as well. Neither is anything like the "Old Reserve" I tried last summer in Paris. HP has expanded the range of its line that it offers for sale direct to people in the U.S., so I'm going to go after the 1975 next.

I recently bought a bottle of Edradour (in Whitefish, Montana - I haven't seen it elsewhere in the west), which comes from the smallest single malt distiller in Scotland. I didn't know what to expect. It was good, memorable, somewhat similar to the Aberlour.

A friend of mine just came back from Scotland and brought me a bottle of Craggenmore. I really liked it. I can get it here, but remembered it differently from what it actually was.

I'll get the Talisker next time I'm at the bottle shop. Thanks for the tip.
Gugadja

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bartok:
highlandpark- recently compared the final dram in a six month old bottle of Highlandpark12 with a freshly opened bottle of Highlandpark18. I found them similar and if anything would give the nod to the 12.To my tastes I enjoy Talisker10 more than either HP's. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
gugadja

Postby bartok » Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:42 pm

hi gugadja- decided to compare Eradour10,Macallan18(1982),The Singleton of Auchroisk10(1985),and Aberlour A'bunadh(batch6). Let me begin by stating that this is not my favorite type of scotch but I think every collection should have various types.Well the big loser was The Singleton which to my tastes the Macallan beats hands down.Whether its worth twice the money is open to debate.Compared the Aberlour(has anyone tried the10? would like to know how it compares to the A'bunadh)to the Macallan and I prefer the Aberlour(found the Macallan a little too woody). Now to the Edradour,wow, very flavorful.Unfortunatly not a flavor that I am looking for in my scotch.I think people should try it in order to see how different scotch can taste.So out of the four I will keep the Aberlour in my collection(although maybe I am influenced by the fact that I have already purchased the Aberlour replacement bottle(I got a good deal)).I have heard good things about Craggenmore, unfortunatley the one time I had it was at a bar and the bottle was almost empty and it wasn't very memorable.I worry about the 40proof and would like to try a 43 or cask version.

[This message has been edited by bartok (edited 04 March 2002).]
bartok

Postby bartok » Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:42 pm

hi gugadja- decided to compare Eradour10,Macallan18(1982),The Singleton of Auchroisk10(1985),and Aberlour A'bunadh(batch6). Let me begin by stating that this is not my favorite type of scotch but I think every collection should have various types.Well the big loser was The Singleton which to my tastes the Macallan beats hands down.Whether its worth twice the money is open to debate.Compared the Aberlour(has anyone tried the10? would like to know how it compares to the A'bunadh)to the Macallan and I prefer the Aberlour(found the Macallan a little too woody). Now to the Edradour,wow, very flavorful.Unfortunatly not a flavor that I am looking for in my scotch.I think people should try it in order to see how different scotch can taste.So out of the four I will keep the Aberlour in my collection(although maybe I am influenced by the fact that I have already purchased the Aberlour replacement bottle(I got a good deal)).I have heard good things about Craggenmore, unfortunatley the one time I had it was at a bar and the bottle was almost empty and it wasn't very memorable.I worry about the 40proof and would like to try a 43 or cask version.

[This message has been edited by bartok (edited 04 March 2002).]
bartok

Postby futant » Wed Apr 10, 2002 10:35 pm

Hi Bartok,
My brother just bought me a liter of the Aberlour 10 and I've enjoyed it quite a bit. It's a fairly clean whisky, easy to drink. I've tried the A'bunadh only once but remember it being a much different experience. Definitely bolder (even cut from its full proof) and, to my somewhat novice palate, more complex than the 10yo.
-Barclay
futant

Postby futant » Wed Apr 10, 2002 10:35 pm

Hi Bartok,
My brother just bought me a liter of the Aberlour 10 and I've enjoyed it quite a bit. It's a fairly clean whisky, easy to drink. I've tried the A'bunadh only once but remember it being a much different experience. Definitely bolder (even cut from its full proof) and, to my somewhat novice palate, more complex than the 10yo.
-Barclay
futant

Postby bartok » Thu Apr 11, 2002 3:17 am

Hi futant- You have a nice brother,is he also a single malt drinker?Is this the first bottle of whisky that he has purchased for you?He seems to have made a good choice.Thanks for the input on the Aberlour10.You may be interested in my taste test between Aberlour A'bundah($45) and Glenfarclas105($66).I chose the A'bundah,but to those who like Glenfarclas,I still think the ten year old has a place.In fact that may have influenced my decision.
bartok

Postby bartok » Thu Apr 11, 2002 3:17 am

Hi futant- You have a nice brother,is he also a single malt drinker?Is this the first bottle of whisky that he has purchased for you?He seems to have made a good choice.Thanks for the input on the Aberlour10.You may be interested in my taste test between Aberlour A'bundah($45) and Glenfarclas105($66).I chose the A'bundah,but to those who like Glenfarclas,I still think the ten year old has a place.In fact that may have influenced my decision.
bartok

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Apr 11, 2002 3:10 pm

Hi Gugadja,

There has never been such thing as a Original HP 1966 "Old Reserve", must be an independent as JVP told you, however I have tasted an original HP from 1950 19Y old, and I must say that it was totally differend then the HP's nowadays.
At this very moment you'll find some odd vintages from independent bottlers, I know a very good one from the Hart Brothers, they had a very good vintage year it was a HP 1977 and 20Y old, and it was superb.
By the way if there was a HP 1966 "Old Reserve" then there's a very good chance that it was bottled for staff only, and somehow a few bottles end up somewhere, such as the George V in Paris......

Slainte,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Apr 11, 2002 3:10 pm

Hi Gugadja,

There has never been such thing as a Original HP 1966 "Old Reserve", must be an independent as JVP told you, however I have tasted an original HP from 1950 19Y old, and I must say that it was totally differend then the HP's nowadays.
At this very moment you'll find some odd vintages from independent bottlers, I know a very good one from the Hart Brothers, they had a very good vintage year it was a HP 1977 and 20Y old, and it was superb.
By the way if there was a HP 1966 "Old Reserve" then there's a very good chance that it was bottled for staff only, and somehow a few bottles end up somewhere, such as the George V in Paris......

Slainte,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby gugadja » Thu Apr 11, 2002 4:34 pm

Erik,
I was delighted to get your post. The HP from the George V was a totally different experience, and I regret not paying more attention at the time. I thought I got it right but obviously didn't. I went to the Hart Brothers site and found the 1975 HP 20 Year Old. I just ordered it. Thank you! They also have a 1966 HP Vintage Bottling, "Highland Park 41.1% Vol 1966 35 Years Old £ 88.90", no reference to Old Reserve. I'm going to try the 1975 first, then go after the 1966. My birthday is coming up in two months. I'll try to beg for that as a gift from my wife. I'll let you know what I think of both. Hart Brothers had a lot of other rare old single malts. I'm looking forward to further explorations there.

I'm glad to read of so much support for the Aberlour 10. I want to tell you about another Aberlour that is exceptional. It is my favorite in my collection and only comes out on special occasions. I found it at the duty free shop at the Amsterdam airport. The label isn't much different from the 10 year, but says "Very Fine Aged Antique Scotch Whisky." No age quoted. It is 43%. So smooth!

Thanks again for the insights and advice.
Regards,
Tom
(gugadja)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Huurman:
<B>Hi Gugadja,

Slainte,

Erik</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
gugadja

Postby gugadja » Thu Apr 11, 2002 4:34 pm

Erik,
I was delighted to get your post. The HP from the George V was a totally different experience, and I regret not paying more attention at the time. I thought I got it right but obviously didn't. I went to the Hart Brothers site and found the 1975 HP 20 Year Old. I just ordered it. Thank you! They also have a 1966 HP Vintage Bottling, "Highland Park 41.1% Vol 1966 35 Years Old £ 88.90", no reference to Old Reserve. I'm going to try the 1975 first, then go after the 1966. My birthday is coming up in two months. I'll try to beg for that as a gift from my wife. I'll let you know what I think of both. Hart Brothers had a lot of other rare old single malts. I'm looking forward to further explorations there.

I'm glad to read of so much support for the Aberlour 10. I want to tell you about another Aberlour that is exceptional. It is my favorite in my collection and only comes out on special occasions. I found it at the duty free shop at the Amsterdam airport. The label isn't much different from the 10 year, but says "Very Fine Aged Antique Scotch Whisky." No age quoted. It is 43%. So smooth!

Thanks again for the insights and advice.
Regards,
Tom
(gugadja)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Huurman:
<B>Hi Gugadja,

Slainte,

Erik</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
gugadja

Postby gugadja » Thu Apr 11, 2002 4:55 pm

I found a good description of the Aberlour Antique mentioned in my last posting:
"Aberlour Antique's rich dark colour reflects the ageing of a vintage whisky. Its woody nose, rounded off with a hint of honey, leads you to taste the smooth slightly spicy malt whisky with a sherry-oak finish; a natural result of having spent years ageing in specially selected casks."

I'm finally going to get the Talisker this weekend that Mark and JVP recommended some time ago.

Regards,
Tom
(gugadja)
gugadja

Postby gugadja » Thu Apr 11, 2002 4:55 pm

I found a good description of the Aberlour Antique mentioned in my last posting:
"Aberlour Antique's rich dark colour reflects the ageing of a vintage whisky. Its woody nose, rounded off with a hint of honey, leads you to taste the smooth slightly spicy malt whisky with a sherry-oak finish; a natural result of having spent years ageing in specially selected casks."

I'm finally going to get the Talisker this weekend that Mark and JVP recommended some time ago.

Regards,
Tom
(gugadja)
gugadja

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder