Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Springbank Rum Wood Finish!

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Postby Ian_Hamilton » Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:48 pm

Springbank 12yo Rum Wood Finish.
The first in Springbank's "Wood Expressions" range, a limited release of 5,700 bottles.
I have heard its not that good and that the wood hasn't played its full part in the maturation process.
I have not tried it though.
Does anyone else know anything about it?
Ian_Hamilton
Bronze Member

Postby Ian_Hamilton » Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:48 pm

Springbank 12yo Rum Wood Finish.
The first in Springbank's "Wood Expressions" range, a limited release of 5,700 bottles.
I have heard its not that good and that the wood hasn't played its full part in the maturation process.
I have not tried it though.
Does anyone else know anything about it?
Ian_Hamilton
Bronze Member

Postby Gate » Wed May 01, 2002 9:15 pm

I have a bottle (or more like 2/3 of a bottle now), and I was pretty disappointed on first sampling, but I think that was because of the weight of expectation - I'd been looking out for it for a while and was pretty made up when I managed to pick up a bottle. I've gone back to it a few times now, and it grows on you. You wouldn't necessarily take it for Springbank on a blind tasting though - it has a curious faint sweet mintiness about it, as if someone had dunked a mint toffee in it. It'd be interesting to know what rum was in the cask before the Springbank went in there - Jamaica, Demerara, Barbados?
Gate
Silver Member

Postby Gate » Wed May 01, 2002 9:15 pm

I have a bottle (or more like 2/3 of a bottle now), and I was pretty disappointed on first sampling, but I think that was because of the weight of expectation - I'd been looking out for it for a while and was pretty made up when I managed to pick up a bottle. I've gone back to it a few times now, and it grows on you. You wouldn't necessarily take it for Springbank on a blind tasting though - it has a curious faint sweet mintiness about it, as if someone had dunked a mint toffee in it. It'd be interesting to know what rum was in the cask before the Springbank went in there - Jamaica, Demerara, Barbados?
Gate
Silver Member

Postby Ian_Hamilton » Wed May 01, 2002 9:35 pm

Hi I can tell you that it was Demerara rum
Ian_Hamilton
Bronze Member

Postby Ian_Hamilton » Wed May 01, 2002 9:35 pm

Hi I can tell you that it was Demerara rum
Ian_Hamilton
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder