Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Greaat night of whisky..

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Greaat night of whisky..

Postby lbacha » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:48 am

Hello all,

Its been a couple years since I have been on here and really since I have had more than a few drams at home, today after work I decided to hit up some whisky bars in Washington DC and was very pleased my line-up was as follows.

Lagavulin distillers edition (1991) - I love this dram and the 91 is a great year
Ardbeg Supernova - I've had this a few times and every dram is great (hits the peat spot) this was the 2009 bottle just ordered some of the 2010 and can't wait to open one up

had some dinner then moved onto a Campbeltown theme
Hazelburn 8 yrs 2nd edition - I have only had the first edition and this was very good
Glen Scotia 12 yrs (distillery bottle) - always a good dram wasn't let down
Springbank 12 yrs wood expression (oleroso cask) - it was ok but I thought the finish was lacking, I think my final choice might have overshadowed it
Springbank 18 yrs old - Wow, this was great, fruit & spice, nose was great, taste was superb and the finish was amazing one of the better scotches I've had in a while.

Well folks I'm looking forward to chatting more and getting back into the whisky swing now that I've found a couple bars to go to.

By the way I was at Shelly's backroom and then the Round Robin bar

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Re: Greaat night of whisky..

Postby Megawatt » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:43 am

Nice, I'm considering Hazelburn 8 for my next purchase. Does it compare in any way to Glenkinchie?
Megawatt
Bronze Member

Postby pkt77242 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:24 am

lbacha wrote:Hello all,

Its been a couple years since I have been on here and really since I have had more than a few drams at home, today after work I decided to hit up some whisky bars in Washington DC and was very pleased my line-up was as follows.

Lagavulin distillers edition (1991) - I love this dram and the 91 is a great year
Ardbeg Supernova - I've had this a few times and every dram is great (hits the peat spot) this was the 2009 bottle just ordered some of the 2010 and can't wait to open one up

had some dinner then moved onto a Campbeltown theme
Hazelburn 8 yrs 2nd edition - I have only had the first edition and this was very good
Glen Scotia 12 yrs (distillery bottle) - always a good dram wasn't let down
Springbank 12 yrs wood expression (oleroso cask) - it was ok but I thought the finish was lacking, I think my final choice might have overshadowed it
Springbank 18 yrs old - Wow, this was great, fruit & spice, nose was great, taste was superb and the finish was amazing one of the better scotches I've had in a while.

Well folks I'm looking forward to chatting more and getting back into the whisky swing now that I've found a couple bars to go to.

By the way I was at Shelly's backroom and then the Round Robin bar

Len

Great to have you back in the fold, Len.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby lbacha » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:00 pm

Its good to be back, I've been a closet drinker for to long time to get back out and drink with friends, if anyone is going to be in DC in Oct I'm planning on going to the SMWSA event at the marriot.

As far as Hazelburn being like Glenkinchie in the sence that it is lighter than alot of drams yes but the flavor is more coastal vs the Glenkinchie.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder