Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

BOWMORE 10 YO Tempest 56,3%

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

BOWMORE 10 YO Tempest 56,3%

Postby Jarppa » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:58 am

Anyone tried yet? I´m considering buying one, but I need some encouragement... :wink:
Jarppa

Re: BOWMORE 10 YO Tempest 56,3%

Postby Willie JJ » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:15 am

It's good but not spectacular. I was hoping for more.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Jarppa » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:03 pm

Willie JJ wrote:It's good but not spectacular. I was hoping for more.

I´ve heard that nose is quite spectacular but taste is missing something, am I right?
Jarppa

Postby The Third Dram » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:47 pm

Does it bear any resemblance to the older, no-age-statement cask-strength issue?

If so, I'd likely take a pass.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:54 pm

Jarppa wrote:I´ve heard that nose is quite spectacular but taste is missing something, am I right?

The nose is nice, I wouldn't go so far as spectacular. The palate is ok, but you're left waiting for something to happen imo.

The Third Dram wrote:Does it bear any resemblance to the older, no-age-statement cask-strength issue?

I think its better than that, but still ...
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby MoreDalmore » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:09 pm

The one I had beginning this year was 55.3%; is this a newer version already?

I loved the clean citrus fruit in the palate with a lettle less peat/smoke than expected from such a young whisky. Somehow the citrus fruit overtakes it but I still rate it around 90 points. I'll intend to buy another bottle later this year.

But keep in mind I loved so far all the Bowmore's I've tasted.
MoreDalmore
Bronze Member

Postby MoreDalmore » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:20 pm

I am still not so good at tasting notes but this is what you can find on the site Whiskyfun:

Bowmore 10 yo 'Tempest' (56.3%, OB, first fill bourbon, Batch #1, 2009) Colour: gold. Nose: punchy, clean, crisp, peaty, coastal, mineral and slightly lemony. Not aggressive, flawless – so far. With water: this is interesting, it gets rather more spirity and aggressive when diluted, as if water had unleashed some kind of tincture or iodine and mercurochrome (is that the ‘tempest’?). But it’s soon to calm down, getting more complex, with aromas that are usually to be found in much older Islayers, such as camphor and pu-erh tea. Mouth (neat): the most superb combination of peat, lemon, pepper and iodine that one could taste, with a few spices from the oak in the background (the usual nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger). It’s no overly complex whisky but once again, the balance is impressive. And it’s so drinkable at cask strength! With water: once again, complexity arrives with water. More herbs and even pine resin, the only thing that’s just a tad disturbing is a slight ‘new oak’ note (a little too much ginger/nutmeg for my taste). But that’s nothing. Finish: long, clean and perfectly balanced once again. And very fresh. Maybe a tad sweeter than before (marmalade?) Comments: it’s great that the Distillery joined the many independents who already issued superb young clean Bowmores in recent times, even if this Tempest is a little sweeter than most. A lovable 10yo. SGP:457 - 88 points.

Hope this helps....

And I agree; a little water helps bringing out more taste sensations.

http://www.whiskyfun.com/archiveoctober09-1.html#071009
MoreDalmore
Bronze Member

Postby Jarppa » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:38 am

MoreDalmore wrote:I am still not so good at tasting notes but this is what you can find on the site Whiskyfun:

Yeah, Serge´s review was the reason why I got interested in the first place. I was just curious to find out "average" consumers opinion.I bought the bottle and yes ,it´s 55,3%. Notes will follow later...:D
Jarppa

Postby Jarppa » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:51 pm

Jarppa

Postby corbuso » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:32 pm

MoreDalmore wrote:The one I had beginning this year was 55.3%; is this a newer version already?

I loved the clean citrus fruit in the palate with a lettle less peat/smoke than expected from such a young whisky. Somehow the citrus fruit overtakes it but I still rate it around 90 points. I'll intend to buy another bottle later this year.

But keep in mind I loved so far all the Bowmore's I've tasted.

No, the new version (batch 2) has just been released. Some preliminary info can be found on www.whisky-news.com (see report Whisky Live Paris).
Tasting notes should follow in a few weeks.
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby farr727 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:11 pm

In February this year I tried the Tempest with 55,3% in a Bowmore Masterclass and was impressed. I am keen on Islay whiskies - but not on Bowmore... until that day. The Tempest changed my view on Bowmore with its peaty, deep, complex, dry taste and long warming finish. Different batches may differ in taste, you might try a dram before buying a bottle.

-Zsolt
farr727

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder