Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Islay Whiskies - your views

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Islay Whiskies - your views

Postby Ian_Hamilton » Fri Apr 12, 2002 8:54 pm

As you have clicked on here you must be like me a lover of the "eye-lah"
I have recently started whisky tastings in Denmark (I'm Scottish) but I live in Denmark now and I want to do an Islay tasting night!
I so far have Bowmore (17) my FAVOURITE, Laphroig (10) and Port Ellen (22) what a dry finish!
I am looking for any ideas for the tasting??
I have tasted almost all the Islays but I am open to comments/ideas.
Thanks in advance.
Ian_Hamilton
Bronze Member

Postby MrAndySais » Sun Apr 14, 2002 9:34 am

Hello,

my favourite Islays are Bowmore Surf, Arbeg 10, Caol Ila by Dun Bhegan und Lagavulin Double Matured.

Andy
MrAndySais

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Apr 14, 2002 4:02 pm

Hi Ian,

Why not make a small Islay tour? For starters a nice Bunnahabhain 12Y old(or the legendary 1963,1965 or even a Family Silver 1968, or a nice independend), then followed by a nice Bruichladdich 10,15 or 20Y old or even the Stillman's Dram, or a nice independend from Adelphi for example. After that it's probably time to face some beautiful Bowmore's(12,15,17,21Y or even 25,30,40Y or the 38Y old) and lovely Caol Ila's(15Y old or some nice independends like Signatory or the Hart brothers), by thenit's probably time to come with the legendary Kildalton Distilleries, like a Laphroaig 15Y old then follwed by a lovely Ardbeg 1975 or 1977 and to finish with a Lagavulin Double Matured Distillers Edition 1979 or 1980. And as a nice finishing touch a beautiful Port Ellen 22Y old or a 23Y old from the Hart Brothers or the late Signatory bottles from 1978(Amontillado) or a nice 1979.......
Just make a choice!!!

Is it something like this you require Ian???
I mean there are many many possibilities to have a Islay N&T.

It's nice to hear that it will be done in Denmark, by the way, as a matter of fact I'm comming to Denmark at the 3th, 4th and 5th of May to Copenhagen for the Whisky Messen.

It sounds like a lot of fun Ian what you have there.

Slainte,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby jeremy p » Tue Apr 16, 2002 8:51 pm

For a really excellent Islay, may i recommend the Gordon and McPhail Private Collection Cognac-finished Caol Ila?

Having a good selection of Islays at home, I can definitely say that this is my favourite (and given that it's in competition with the Lagavulin 16-y-o and Laphroaig 10-y-o cask strength, is really saying something!!)

On the whole, though, I've always been a tad disappointed by Bunahaibhan (or however it's spelt!) - does anyone else find it bland, or am I missing out on something?
jeremy p

Postby Ize » Wed Apr 17, 2002 5:16 am

Hello,

Bunnahabhain was disappointment to me too, it was somehow soulless. Lagavulin 16 Y.O. is so far the best I've tasted, but Laphroaig 10 Y.O. is excellent too.

I'm not into more expensive ones (although I might have chance to taste Port Ellen in near future) because it would be waste of the money since I believe that I don't have "golden tongue" for them.
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Apr 17, 2002 6:29 pm

Hi,

It's good that you have your own personal taste in this, for example I love Bunnahabhain very much, especially the single cask versions from the 60's are very good, then you'll get to know the Bunny a little bit better. Apart from that I wouldn't say no to a Port Ellen too, I have tasted quite a lot now, but they are always OK(ofcourse even in Port Ellen are some exceptions wich I don't like). Either way it all depends on a personal taste, for almost any Islay Malt you can wake me up in the middle of the night....

Slainte,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Thu Apr 18, 2002 5:57 pm

Try the deluxe blended whiskies Islay Mist and Islay Hallmark for something a little different.

Only a real expert, in my view, can tell that they are not single malts.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Gate » Wed May 01, 2002 9:03 pm

Well worth adding Black Bottle 10-year-old to any Islay tasting. It's a blend, and you can tell it's a blend, but single, vatted or blended status doesn't matter when it's such good stuff - all the malt content is Islay, and all seven working distilleries are there.
Gate
Silver Member

Postby Isenhour » Thu May 02, 2002 8:42 pm

Bruichladdich currently is using Islay water with low peat; so this makes the whisky open up to the real taste of the Island style whisky. Since the distillery is un-chilled filtering the whisky, ther is more of the flavors that make a great Islay Scotch. Also, the Laddie is a small batch bottling. I think a tasting of Isaly whiskies should include this whisky. Slainte'
Isenhour

Postby BruceCrichton » Thu May 09, 2002 2:53 pm

Just tasted the new Bruichladdich at 46% and it was dire.

The old bottling had a full flavour with a lightly peaty character and was quite chewy and warming. Ideal for a nightcap.

The new stuff was very bland indeed.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby SpeedyJohn » Fri May 10, 2002 2:04 pm

Which bottling did you try, Bruce? I've had the new 10yo and new 15yo and neither was "dire" IMHO. Frankly, I enjoyed both. I'm still working my way through my bottles. I can't say at this point that either of them is a great whisky, but certainly not as bland as you suggest. Perhaps you got a bad bottle?

SJ
SpeedyJohn

Postby BruceCrichton » Sun May 12, 2002 6:37 pm

I had the Royal Mile 12 yr old 46% bottling and the new 10 Yr old bottling at 46%.

And I think both suffer from a lack of peat and taste.

The old Bruichladdich had much more character.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder