Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

highland park

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

highland park

Postby Dinger » Fri Apr 16, 2004 7:33 pm

New to this forum but have enjoyed whiskey for about 4 years now and have a nice collection that has recently been boosted by the arrivla of a whiskey given to my mother by a US business associate as a gift. My mum mentioned that she had a bottle of whiskey in her office and must remember to bring it home for me. I aksed what it was and mum knows nothing about whiskey not being a drinker of the stuff but all she new is that it wasn't Bushmills - I live about 10 miles from Bushmills - and that it looked nice as it was in a lovely case. So next day i popped over to find a 30yr old Midelton Pot Still whiskey. Who gives that to a non whiskey drinker - not that I am complaining!!! Anyway i love love Midleton and love the bottle for this whiskey - very nice lines and reminds me of the bottle that i got my first bottle of 18yr Old Highland Park in - a small dumpy bottle with a wide neck and mouth but can you get these anymore. I much prefer this bottle to the one that the 18 and 12 are normally found so why the two bottles and can i get the 18yr old Highland Park in the dumpy bottle anywhere. Have kept the bottle that i have alas it is empty but anyone know why and can i get it anywhere?.
Still smiling about the Midleton - just got it today and so happy - must be about £500 or so IIRC in the Bush distillery
Cheers folks
Dinger
Dinger

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:02 am

Hi Dinger,

Lucky you to find a bottle of Midelton.

The bottles of Highland Park you talked about are no longer produced. So what happens is that you have to look in every shop and see if they still have any HP bottles with a wide neck. If you look at the new HP 12, 18, 25Y old, you see that not only the bottles have changed but when you taste them, the content has changed a little bit too ( less robust, less power as it was before, but a little bit nicer and sweeter, still a bit robust yes, but very friendly )

Cheers,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder