Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Tomintoul Whisky

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Tomintoul Whisky

Postby BruceCrichton » Fri May 07, 2004 12:23 am

Anyone had any of the new bottlings?

Me and my mate had it at the Speyside whisky festival and we thought that the 10 yr old was superb.

The 16 yr old was thicker in taste but the flavours were all rather congealed and nothing stood out.

We got given the 27 yr old as well which was lovely and well worth the price at less than £50.

Also, if you are ever up in Tomintoul, be sure to visit the Whisky Castle as the man who owns it is worth the price of admission alone being whisky's answer to Stuart Hall and Archie MacPherson.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Re: Tomintoul Whisky

Postby ResIpsa539 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:08 am

Has anyone else here tasted the Tomintoul 12 Sherry Cask? I find the 16 year old to be incredibly full-bodied and well-balanced, and the 10 year old to be not far behind; thus, I was really looking forward to the 12. But...first time I've ever tasted pencil shavings on a whisky's finish...and I'm not the type to taste bizarre things in my whisky like many.

Anyone else here had this experience...or maybe a bad bottle?
ResIpsa539
Bronze Member

Postby Willie JJ » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:31 pm

I tried the 12 year old Oloroso cask and enjoyed it very much. There's no particular reason why you shouldn't taste pencil shavings on it though. The wood can impart some of those flavours, although I didn't notice it myself. Here's the note I wrote for it:

Tomintoul 12yo Limited Edition Oloroso Sherry Cask Finish, 40%

Colour : Tawny/mahogany
Nose : Oranges and malt. A slight dash of the bottom of the roasting tin.
Palate : Very light. the strength is a real shame, but the lovely orange and mango washes across the palate in the most enjoyable way.
Finish : Then the finish is amazingly lively. Like some sort of dark summer fruit sherbet, spiced with a litle cinammon. Yummy.
Comment : Disappointed with the strength here, but this is a lovely sub-£30 dram. Easy drinking and delicious.

As to the rest of the range that Bruce is talking about, I think they are very nice as well. I think the 27yo is lovely and I'd be interested to know where you can get it for less than £50 Bruce.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:33 pm

Costcutter in Dufftown.

BTW the original post is 5 years old.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:10 am

I've had the chance to taste the 10, 16 & 27yo too and I must admit I liked them all and was pleasantly surprised with the price of the 27yo ... a bargain if you as me.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:38 pm

I've never been a big fan of the Tomintoul. Can't tell you how many different ones I've tried but would be surprised if it was more than a dozen. I've had the 10, 16, 27 and the very new peated NAS. The peated NAS is quite interesting and only costs slightly more than the 10. The 12 Oloroso gets to be expensive in these parts so haven't gotten to it...yet. Tomintoul used to come in these perfume looking bottles and I did try some of the stock from this time frame as well. When I get around to it, I'll post some thoughts on the 12 Oloroso.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Lawrence » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:56 pm

The new 14 is a cracker and well worth the money. I arranged a Tomintoul/Glencadam tasting a few weeks ago and the room was vvery impressed with the quality of the whiskeis. The Glencadam 10 is brilliant and all the Tomintoul were very well recieved; T10, T16, T12 Oloroso and the Peaty Tang.

Much running to the store to buy over the next few days.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby biglads » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:01 pm

I was lucky enough to tour Tomintoul during the Speyside festival '08. I have bottles of and like the Old Ballantruan and the 12y/o Oloroso finish.

The 27 y/o is a cracking dram at the price (had a taster up at the Whisky Castle from memory).

My wife and I also met the proprietors of Tomintoul (Angus Dundee Distillers) in Dufftown and the old chap who owns the place and his wife are lovely people. We had a good few drams with them. :D
biglads

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder