Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Bourbon tastes funny after rye !

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Bourbon tastes funny after rye !

Postby bamber » Thu May 13, 2004 11:19 am

To continue with my current rye whisky obsession ...

I recently noticed that Bourbon's that I really love taste funny after drinking rye.

Too corny and oily - its almost as if I can no longer taste their rye content afterwards.

This effect lasts about an hour.

I was convinced of this last night. Had just tried my first couple of glasses of Pappy Van Winkle 13, which is just *so good*, and decided to compare it with one of my favourite Bourbons - EC 12YO.

It just did not taste right. I then realised that is why I found JB white and black so bad the other week. The Sazerac had affected my palate so markedly.

Has anyone else noticed this ?
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby r0b » Thu May 13, 2004 6:25 pm

I've had EC 12 after a glass of Pikesville Supreme Straight Rye and I can't say it had that effect on me. Maybe 30 minutes passed and in between I had only water.
r0b
Bronze Member

Postby Laphroaig » Thu May 13, 2004 6:33 pm

If I"m not mistaken, EC 12 is a wheat formula bourbon. Also I wonder out loud, many people say the latest purchases of EC 12 have been substandard. Still haven't cracked my latest bottle but that will be a major disappointment (if true).

As for Rye... Once I started, I'd stick with the same bottle for the rest of the evening. Further, I would assume the intesity that good ryes offer- are likely to overlay and cancel out much of the subtleties of a standard bourbon. Perhaps the AH Hirsch or George T. Stagg could stand behind a rye not sure, never tried, but if I were going to those would be two that I suspect might not collapse in defeat.

It might prove much more realistic to finish your night with rye instead of going in the opposite direction and starting with it.

:idea:
Laphroaig
Bronze Member

Postby r0b » Thu May 13, 2004 10:13 pm

As far as I know there's no wheat in EC.
r0b
Bronze Member

Postby Admiral » Fri May 14, 2004 4:54 am

It might prove much more realistic to finish your night with rye instead of going in the opposite direction and starting with it.

Or alternatively, just spend the whole night drinking single malt scotch and avoid the problem all together!! :D

Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Order of drinking

Postby bamber » Fri May 14, 2004 9:40 am

Think you're right (Laphroaig), rye is definitely one for the end of the evening. Trouble is those tasty bottles just keep winking at me ;)

That being said, my love of Scotch does not seem to be affected the same way.

And I plan to follow your advice this weekend (Admiral) when I meet up with an old school friend.

Anyway Ancient Ancient Age 10YO gets cracked open tonight :D
bamber
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder