Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glengoyne 10 and 17 yr

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Glengoyne 17 Years Old

Glengoyne 10 and 17 yr

Postby BruceCrichton » Mon May 17, 2004 11:14 pm

Anyone had these recently?

Has the 10 yr old improved? It seems to be a lot weightier these days than it was a few years ago.

The 17 yr old is smoother than a smoothfish's smooth bits after it has been put through a smoothing machine and then ironed until it is nice and smooth and then eaten by the man who taught Roger Moore how to be smooth.

And that's dead smooth!
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Tue May 18, 2004 4:48 am

Bruce,

You weren't a writer for BlackAdder, were you? :)

I agree the 10yo punches above its weight. For a malt that markets itself as light and unpeated, it shows surprising depth of flavour and fullness of mouthfeel. And yet it isn't spirity like some other 10 year olds that display a bit of youth.

I recall the 17yo being a bit more floral on the nose, but milder in palate and finish.
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Tue May 18, 2004 2:44 pm

I also enjoy the 10yo, a nice south highland malt with lots of fruity and floral notes, a sweet cloying body and a nice finish. Good stuff! I've been meaning to try the 17yo.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Tue May 18, 2004 5:08 pm

I must confess that Blackadder was the inspiration for the comments as well as the whisky but the add-on about Roger Moore's smoothness mentor was mine.

I picked up the Glengoyne 17 yr old cheap but I don't have a large wallet anyway.

If you can afford the £37 it costs from the distillery then it is worth trying. Or you could go to a miniature stockist and try it that way.

It's very smooth.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Tue May 18, 2004 10:28 pm

Up until recently, here in Australia you could buy a "gift pack" which had two 350ml bottles of the 10yo and 17yo together. It cost around AUS$60 which is about 22 pounds.

A marketing plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel. :wink:
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Sun May 23, 2004 12:11 pm

Was it as cunning as a fox,who's just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University?
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Related whiskies : Glengoyne 17 Years Old

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder