Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glen House Pure Malt

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Glen House Pure Malt

Postby meatyork » Tue May 18, 2004 4:39 pm

Has anyone had this recently? I found this vatted malt yesterday at the wine and spirit section of a local supermarket and it was quite cheap. Wanted to give it a try but when I googled it last night, it didn't return much info on tasting. I guess it's from an independent bottler and only aiming at overseas markets.

How would it be compared to cheap blends like regular Grouse and Bell's (unfortunately unavailable here)?

Sad to find Glenfiddich 12 yo sold out so the only available ones are the vatted stuff (the Famouse Grouse 1989 vintage malt and the 1990) and The Macallan 12 yo (expensive).

BTW, anyone tried Yacht club yet? Didn't see these when I was in England. Is it another thing for overseas market only?

Cheers, M
meatyork

Postby Admiral » Wed May 19, 2004 12:55 pm

I've found the Famous Grouse Vintage Malt Whisky 1989 to be quite drinkable! You can certainly do much worse!
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed May 19, 2004 6:45 pm

I drank quite a bit of the Famous Grouse Vintage Malt last year during my Hadrian's Wall hike (at the pub during the evening) and I really liked it.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby meatyork » Thu May 20, 2004 7:26 pm

I quite like even the regular Grouse and found the other day at a local bar that the Famouse Grouse Gold Reserve 12 yo far more satisfying than the Chivas Regal 12 yo which is getting increasingly popular around here (due to its very successful marketing). The Gold Reserve is very smooth yet full of characters, compared to Chivas Regal, which, IMHO, is quite dull (I respect them for their Scotch whisky education here where generally people's knowledge about "the water of life" is limited)
Got a bottle of Glenfiddich 12 yo yesterday and it was quite a bargain, but I think I'll try the Famouse Grouse 1989 vintage malt very soon (haven't tried a single dram yet) :oops:
meatyork

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder