Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Macallan 1841

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Macallan 1841

Postby Iain » Fri May 21, 2004 10:58 am

From the Mac website:

"The temptation to find out what The Macallan tasted like 150 years ago {bearing in mind that the 1841 will have been matured for eight to ten years} was irresistible. The original 1841 was nosed and tasted by The Macallan's Whisky Maker, Bob Dalgarno, and his team."

Err... was it really 150 year old whisky?

And if it is in fact a "modern" 10 as recent press releases from Mac have suggested, shouldn't the Whisky Maker or one of his team have spotted that, before they started work on a replicant?

They must surely have tasted some 1980s Mac before!

Curiouser and curiouser...
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby lexkraai » Fri May 21, 2004 12:48 pm

Who knows what the fake bottles actually contain. If I were a forger, wanting to create 'old' bottles for the collector's market, would I really bother filling them up with modern whisky from the same distillery? Why not simply take whatever is locally cheap?

So possibly the replicas, if they are based on fake bottles, may be replicas of who knows what rather than Macallan ....

Cheers, Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri May 21, 2004 5:11 pm

A cloud of suspiscion hangs over the vintage Macallan line, there are many unanswered question for sure.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Macallan 1841

Postby Rudolph Hucker » Fri May 21, 2004 5:58 pm

You don't think the forger of the Fake Macallan could be the great - great - great- great - great - great - great - great gandchild of a forger who happened to be around the Macallan distillery in the early 1800,s do you? Who maybe passed his recipe down through the generations so that what Bob and his team tasted was exactly the same as the current Fake Macallan. Which is why they thought it was genuine. :oops:

Silly, I know, but as Iain says, this just gets curiouser and.........

Cheers

Rudolph
Rudolph Hucker
Silver Member

Postby Admiral » Fri May 21, 2004 11:58 pm

If the forgers really did pour in some plain old 10yo Macallan at the time, this was possibly when Macallan were still using 100% golden promise barley, and therefore, the contents might actually be quite outstanding! :D
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Iain » Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:41 pm

According to the experts (in WM 31)

Michael Jackson

Incongruously, very fresh. Fudge with vanilla essence and pistachio nuts.
Palate
Delicious whisky, of true sophistication and style. Tasted blindfold, it seems a perfect whisky *for today*, not an evocation of the past. I would re-package it as 2041.

Dave Broom

Nose
Light to medium-bodied. Attractive earthy notes with some smoke, a hint of Comment
Controlled. A very drinkable *young* Macallan.

I have highlighted the expert view, **. Because Mac spin-doctors say that the "vintage" Macs fooled the experts :roll:

Keep digging, Mac Marketeers. There's much more in the hole

(and it's even more smelly!) :arrow:
Iain
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder