Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Fahrenheit 911

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Fahrenheit 911

Postby welshman » Sun May 23, 2004 4:09 pm

Me and my mates have been boycotting American whisk(e)y since they rock&rolled into Iraq a year ago, and to tell the truth we've been missing the charcoal-filtered stuff these past couple of weeks. We got down to the bottom of our bunker-bottles in February this year - finishing up with a memorable round of Elijah Craig 18 years, chased by the remnants of a quarter bottle of Maker's Mark Blackwax. Very nice and making us realise what we've been missing. Marmalade and demerera sugar, marijuana smoke, pine.
Now we're putting $10 a month in an empty peanutbutter&jelly pot, by November we reckon on having about $200.
Any recommendations on what to buy to toast Bush's demise?
welshman

Postby Aidan » Sun May 23, 2004 9:05 pm

What do the democrats drink?
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Mon May 24, 2004 9:58 am

The Scots, Welsh and Canadians also rock n rolled into Iraq, I think you are only going to be left with Japanese and Irish whiskies.

Maybe something from the Bushmills range.

First time I've seen 'marijuana smoke' in a tasting note :shock:
Matt2

Postby Aidan » Mon May 24, 2004 10:11 am

I have noticed hints of crack cocaine in Laphroig 10.
Aidan

Postby BruceCrichton » Mon May 24, 2004 12:02 pm

Bushmills is Northern Ireland as well so that cuts down on your whiskies further.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby lucabeer » Mon May 24, 2004 12:21 pm

Matt Page wrote:First time I've seen 'marijuana smoke' in a tasting note :shock:

Methinks I've read Michael Jackson use the same comparison in one of his reviews...
lucabeer

Postby Matt2 » Mon May 24, 2004 1:18 pm

I've just realised Japan rolled on in as well, oh dear :cry: , you are probably left with whatever the French produce.

Aidan, put the crack pipe down before swigging your whisky :?
Matt2

Postby Aidan » Mon May 24, 2004 3:52 pm

Matt - I didn't even know you take it with a pipe - that's how innocient I am.

You are limited to Cooley and Middleton whiskey so.

One interesting thing - I noticed that on Bushmills whiskey, they always say "Product of Ireland" rather than Northern Ireland. This is strange as it's in a very unionist area of NornIron.
Aidan

Postby peatreek1 » Mon May 24, 2004 5:59 pm

Well me and my pals will boycott all Welsh goods in response!!!

Problem is we cannot think of anything made in Wales that we have ever purchased or would want to purchase in the future. What do you make over there????

Terribly unfair denying us the opportunity to retaliate.

In all seriousness, it is a silly concept to deny oneself the product of any country because one diasagrees with their politics. Whisk(e)y transcends politics. These shallow acts of principle are pointless. I don't like Castro, but I don't think twice about enjoying a good Cuban cigar when I can get one.
peatreek1

Postby Aidan » Tue May 25, 2004 3:08 pm

Protest, no matter how small, is worthy if you feel strongly about something. Saying there's no point would be like saying there's no point in voting, as you only have one vote.

That said - are you boycoting all American products? I bet that would be nearly impossible.
Aidan

Postby peatreek1 » Tue May 25, 2004 5:59 pm

The question one needs to ask is whether the true purpose of an act of protest is to achieve a goal or to only make oneself feel morally superior. I find it hard to drink and pat myself on the back at the same time. It is also important to consider who is actually impacted by the protest.

Why punish a bourbon producer for example for governmental actions outside their control?

In general boycotts/trade restrictions do more harm than good because they punish the wrong people. For example, the ban on Iraqi and Cuban trade hurt the average people much more than the despotic rulers.

As far as Iraq, it is interesting to note that the countries most opposed to military actions (France, Germany, Russia) where also the biggest arms sellers to Sadam. Moral protest or protection of trade?????

For what its worth, I am a U.S. conservative who is very much opposed to the invasion of Iraq.
peatreek1

Postby Aidan » Tue May 25, 2004 6:41 pm

Peetreek,

I'm not calling for a boycott, nor have I stopped drinking American whiskey.

However, international boycotts put a lot of pressure on the former South African regime, and, indeed, that country is now using it as a protest tactic against the war in Iraq.

Nobody can say they are no longer going to buy products produced personally by George W Bush, so you have to let him know in other ways.

The government's actions were outside the average American soldier's control, yet he or she has to go out and risk their life in the war. I think that if you felt an American whiskey producer would have to suffer a little to relieve the vastly more significant suffering of those in a country such as Iraq, then it is worthwhile.

That said, I respect your opinoin on the matter and am not trying to get people to boycott... I just think it is a legit tactic if your trying to influence policy.
Aidan

Postby hpulley » Tue May 25, 2004 9:00 pm

Are you sure Canada went to Iraq? I thought we sat our usual token contribution out this time...

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Laphroaig » Wed May 26, 2004 7:11 pm

While it is fine to protest and boycott what one believes in. On the other hand it is quite annoying to read the telegraphed nature of posts like this one.

Do you want a whisky you can drink, or do you want to tell us about why you can't drink what you want, world political news and when George Bush loses? After all it is a whisky forum. Now if this were a whine forum, then...
Laphroaig
Bronze Member

Postby Aidan » Wed May 26, 2004 11:11 pm

Laphroaig

You should boycott this forum. I feel your pain.

PS, where is your whiskey comment?
Aidan

Postby Laphroaig » Wed May 26, 2004 11:22 pm

I should boycott the forum??? I think not, besides I'm not a quitter, and not over NONSENSE!

You feel my pain? You obviously aren't enjoying your whisky like you should be, cause I sure don't have any pains... None that I am aware of at least. 8) 8) 8)

PSS: My Whisky comments are reserved for Whisky threads - I was merely offering up additional sour grapes to complete this Whine thread!
Laphroaig
Bronze Member

Postby Admiral » Thu May 27, 2004 4:33 am

All the whisk(e)y we are drinking at the moment was distilled many years before the invasion of Iraq. Before all the fuss kicked up, these poor whiskies were happily sleeping in their casks. They were then bottled and marketed into a world that had changed! :)

Whisky is a drink perfectly suited for bringing people together, not driving them apart!

Nuff said fellas. 8)
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Thu May 27, 2004 7:31 am

Suggesting you boycott the form was "tongue in cheek", as I hope you know.

Again, I'm not calling for a boycott, nor have I given my opinion on the war.

When you drink whisky, you generally talk about lots of thing - conversations go off on tangents. This thread is whisky related and nobody is forced to read it. No moderator has deleted it.

You are just as involved in this thread as anyone else.

And you're right, we shouldn't whine - Everything in the world is just dandy.

Anyway, I hope you don't take my comments personally. I am interested in this thread.
Aidan

Postby Laphroaig » Thu May 27, 2004 7:07 pm

Aidan,

No worries...

I'm -273º Kelvin! 8)

Laphroaig
Bronze Member

Postby Aidan » Fri May 28, 2004 12:05 am

That's cool!
Aidan

Hexed

Postby welshman » Fri May 28, 2004 1:23 pm

I hope I didn't jinx a friend of mine by starting this thread...
Last night he got stopped at Chicago O'Hare carrying a bottle of Glenfiddich's "Viva Fidel" Havana Reserve. The custom's officer dug it out of his carry-on with a smile on his face, according to my mate, like he'd just busted The Medellin Cartel's chief coke mule.
My friend was taken to a side room where his suitcase was thoroughly searched, he was detained for an hour and a half, and the glorious grog confiscated.
I hope they didn't end up skulling it in twenty minutes from a brown paper bag at the end of their shift,
Let that be a lesson to all you potential smugglers,
WM
welshman

Postby Laphroaig » Fri May 28, 2004 3:51 pm

Chicago O´hare is one of the worst places for re-entry. Customs there was on 60 Minutes for discrimation amongst other things...
Laphroaig
Bronze Member

Postby Godot » Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:39 pm

Matt Page wrote:The Scots, Welsh and Canadians also rock n rolled into Iraq,

Poor Canadians. Americans are Boycotting their Whisky for NOT going to Iraq and now this misinformed person wants us to boycott them for going. I wonder if anyone, besides Canadians themselves, is still drinking Rye.

For the record: Canadians, much to the anger of the US, did not send any troops to Iraq.
Godot

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder