Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Musky tastings

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Musky tastings

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:50 am

Muskrat Portage is once again starting to plan a whisky tasting - not virtual - real - and in his home. The title is the "Bring A Friend" tasting. All of the members in our tasting group are to bring a friend and a bottle of their choice to the tasting at my place, which is the only venue which has the space for so large a group.

And yes, I will "poke" some of them to ensure a goodly selection spanning the panalopy which is SM is brought. I also have a few interesting items to slip into the fray if need be.

As the planning developes, I will post some updates as an assist to anyone else who may wish to plan a tasting. Once the tasting is done, I will give a final writeup on what worked and what didn't. Hopefully, in this manner, some forum members may be more amenable to holding a tasting themselves, after seeing how easy it is to hold one.

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Re: Musky tastings

Postby pkt77242 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:57 am

Nice idea Musky. Can't wait for the updates.
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:53 am

Nice Musky! I will be hosting a few over the next two weekends. :D Now how to get Sean to show......
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby grumpy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:44 am

Sounds like a winner Musky...keep me posted. 8)
grumpy

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:43 am

Musky is still patiently waitng for a couple of guys to commit. (and is working on finishing his new man cave aka new garage) In the interim it appears that a surprise tasting has been set up for tonight and I'm off at 7:30 to a buddy's place to have a tasting with a couple of other chums and then crash at his pad. It appears that the spouse is away so the mice will play!

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:02 pm

Just returned from the evening of tasting a Brucies': Arrived there about 8:pm last night and after introductuons all around with the newest member of our group, the four of us started in with the tastings.
Sort of.
Bruce did a little presentation on the generalities of the Springbank process and an explanation of the history of Campbeltown. While I was waiting, I helped myself to a dram or two of the Springbank Claret cask. After the educational aspect, we started the tasting in earnest.

We commenced with a Hazelburn 8, then Springbank 10; Springbank 15; Longrow 10, Springbank CS 12 and finished that run with Springbank Claret cask 12. Intermission was a batch 37 Aberlour A'Bunadh that I brought along for "show and taste". (The adult version of "show and tell')

After a repast, of pate, (with a variety of sode type crackers, french bread with an oil and vinegar dip and some cold cuts and cheeses), we started the second round with a Lappy QC; followed by a 10; a 15; an 18 and finished up with the CS 10 yo. I personally was very impressed with the 18, it wasn't until the second sip that this Laphroaig revealeed it's true character - with all its' subtle nuances and flickers of flame and smoke. A pretty wonderful little dram that one.
We chatted and had a few more drams by the fireplace before finally turning in around 2 am.

Up at 7:30 ish for coffee, brekky of french toast, bacon and maple syrup. Clean up of the dramming glasses and dishes from brekky before heading home with a couple of guests in tow.
Back to the salt mines now.

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:49 am

Had a few of the boys from work over for a Christmas tasting. The Macallan 12 was popular as was the HP 12, 15 and 18. The batch 37 A'bunadh was a crowd pleaser as well. The star of the show was an IB D. Laing Port Ellen 21 yo (1982). Brought back fond memories for me of the initial first edition bottling from the P.E. Distillery, now sadly long gone.
(Both the distillery and the bottle)

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder