Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Longmorn, opinions?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Longmorn, opinions?

Postby Ize » Thu May 30, 2002 9:22 am

Ok, I couldn't wait, I just had to ask before I've received the bottle. I recently made an order for Longmorn 15Y.O. 1l 45% bottle. What kind of feelings that bottle rises?

Heh, this time for sure I won't first start with head to head comparison (peek the Oban 14Y.O. thread).

I also ordered one blended whisky *gasp* in the same time, please look kindly upon me Image, that is Black Bottle.

Kippis,
Ize
Ize
Silver Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Fri May 31, 2002 6:42 pm

Longmorn is excellent and is quite crisp and malty in taste. It is an underrated gem.

Black Bottle is available in most British supermarkets and is a superb example of the blender's art. Stick with that rather than the 10 year old version.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Gate » Wed Jun 05, 2002 7:50 pm

Longmorn is great whisky (I'd take it over the Oban any day): I don't know why it doesn't get more attention (maybe they need to find an outlandish "finish": slivovitz finish, anyone?). The Black Bottle is excellent, too, but I disagree about the 10-year-old - I think that's every bit as good as the regular (and at the price they sell it at, you can easily afford both and do a head-to-head).
Gate
Silver Member

Postby Ize » Thu Jun 06, 2002 6:51 am

Thanks for the comments, the shipment should be on doors of the post office any day, I can hardly wait. :P

It is 10 Y.O. version of the black bottle that I'm receiving, I do have quite high hopes on it. Because it would be quite nicely priced bottle for evening gatherings.

Kippis,
Ize

[This message has been edited by Ize (edited 06 June 2002).]
Ize
Silver Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Fri Jun 07, 2002 3:56 pm

The kind of person who adds a 'finish' to Longmorn probably adds make-up to a swan.

Longmorn is a very underrated whisky and I think that it's the star of the Seagram/Chivas stable.

It doesn't help that you can't get it supermarkets. Until you can get it there, it will remain a well kept secret.

My folks are divided on the Black Bottle 10 yr old. The 10 yr is hard to find where I live.

My grandad thought it was brilliant but my mum, my gran and my friend all thought is wasn't as good as the standard bottling.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Ize » Mon Jun 24, 2002 6:51 am

Longmorn is waiting for appropriate moment, but I tasted Black Bottle 10 Y.O. during mid-summer celebration. BB10 is excellent stuff! Really awesome for it's price. So far I have never bought the same bottle again (I want to widen my experience), but this time I need to make an exception. Best blended I've ever taste. It has some edge from Laphroaig and Ardbeg some roundness from Lagavulin and I guess Bruichladdich or Bowmore ... fortunately Bunnahabhain doesn't spoil the whole thing. Image I haven't yet tasted Caol Ila, so I can't say can it be found from the taste. I'll give 8.5 to this brilliant product.
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Gate » Wed Jun 26, 2002 9:24 pm

And it has some lovely sweetness from the grain that knits it all together beautifully. Just think if they could be persuaded to put an unchillfiltered cask-strength version on the market! Image
Gate
Silver Member

Postby Ize » Thu Jun 27, 2002 5:04 am

Gate, you made me drool. :P
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Ize » Fri Jun 28, 2002 7:53 am

First comments on Longmorn 15 Y.O. head-to-head comparison with Black Bottle 10 Y.O. is coming soon. Image

L15 is lovely whisky! Where as I keep Highland Park 12 Y.O. and Talisker 10 Y.O. as milder Lagavulin this L15 could be noted as milder Laphroaig. In taste there is some lovely rough components maybe it is bit peppery. Too bad that my skills are yet so modest that I can't separate taste into components. But after one tasting I would rate this to on the same level as HP12 and T10 and that is 8.75 (9-), let's see whether it scores more in the long run. Image

Kippis,
Ize

[This message has been edited by Ize (edited 28 June 2002).]
Ize
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder