Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

My recent bourbon tasting

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

My recent bourbon tasting

Postby ratcheer » Mon Sep 03, 2001 2:39 am

I have undertaken a personal adventure to taste as many bourbons (hopefully, good ones) as I can. It is fun, but expensive.

I can't hope to express the things I taste as clearly as Mr. Jackson and Mr. Murray. But, I know what I like.

So far, my favorite by far is Knob Creek. It is both smooth and very full-flavored. The more times I try it, the more I like it. It has some qualities similar to a fine VSOP cognac (of which my personal favorite is Remy-Martin).

I am probably going out on a limb, but my second favorite is Wild Turkey 101. Again, smooth and full flavored, it is very drinkable.

In third, I place Woodford Reserve, although I have only tried it once, last night. It is extremely smooth, but not as flavorful as my top two choices. Maybe I will like it more as time goes on.

Fourth is Maker's Mark, again extremely smooth but with even somewhat less full flavor than the Woodford. Still, a very pleasant drink.

Fifth goes to Elijah Craig 12-year old, which I am drinking at this moment. This one has an excellent full flavor, but to me is quite hot on the tongue. I was surprised to see Mr. Murray rate it so highly.

My old standby, now relegated to sixth place of the six I have tasted recently, is George Dickel No. 12 (the pale beige label). I have enjoyed this whiskey for decades, but it just doesn't hold up to this level of competition.

My near future goals are to try Blanton, Baker's, and Booker's. I also intend to try some of the better but more common brands, such as Virginia Gentleman and Old Forrester.

Your helpful comments are welcomed.

Cheers, Tim
ratcheer

Postby SpeedyJohn » Fri Sep 07, 2001 1:09 pm

Tim:

Your journey has just begun, but you've already tried some fine bourbons. Knob Creek is one of my favorites, too, and it's available for a reasonable price. Ditto for the Woodford Reserve. Wild Turkey produces some of my faves, including the excellent Rare Breed (ooh, so creamy), Kentucky Spirit and Russell's Reserve. I will have my first tasting of WT12yo this weekend, an event I have eagerly anticipated for quite some time.

Other bourbons I would recommend you try include Evan William Single Barrel (any year, but the 1990 and 1991 are outstanding), Eagle Rare 17, and any of the Van Winkle line.

If you like Tennessee whiskey, try the Dickel Special Barrel Reserve 10yo. It's hard to find, but worth seeking out. Also, watch for a new batch of Sazerac Rye to be released this month. It's one of the best whiskies of any variety or style that I have ever tasted.

You might want to check out the forum at www.straightbourbon.com. Some very knowledgeble bourbonians regularly post messages there. You'll discover a lot of great info plus get unfiltered, straight-forward opinions.

Slainte,
SJ

[This message has been edited by SpeedyJohn (edited 07 September 2001).]
SpeedyJohn

Postby ratcheer » Sat Sep 08, 2001 1:51 am

SpeedyJohn,

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. Yes, I am having a wonderful time with this.

I have visited the straightbourbon web site, but hadn't really noticed their forums. I appreciate the pointer and will definitely check them out.

Right now, I am resampling Maker's Mark on the rocks. It has been another of my long-time favorites, but it too pales in comparison to the others I've tried, recently. I suppose I've doomed myself to spending $32 per bottle, where I used to get by on $20.

Cheers, Tim
ratcheer

Postby SpeedyJohn » Mon Sep 10, 2001 1:07 pm

Tim:

It was my pleasure. Next to drinking whisk(e)y, chatting about the "water of life" is my favorite pastime.

Slainte,
SJ
SpeedyJohn

Postby MMMMMakers! » Tue Nov 13, 2001 4:46 pm

This may surprise some of you, but one of my favorites is also one of the least expensive bourbons on the market. As a Makers Mark fan, I find an excellent substitute to be Old Fitzgerald 1849. A bartender who pretended to be in the know said that that was Bill Sameuls' (president of Makers Mark) favorite bourbon. I wasn't surprised. His father, who created the MM recipe used to work at Old Fitz and was inspired by it to use wheat instead of rye. Here in Kentucky, a bottle of the 1849 goes for around $12! Just give it a try if you can find it. I've never seen it out of state.
Please email any remarks to me at jfs71@kih.net. Thanks.
James
Lebanon, KY
MMMMMakers!

Postby Veach » Thu Jun 06, 2002 12:06 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SpeedyJohn:
<B>Tim:
If you like the Dickel Special Barrel Reserve 10YO but are having a hard time finding the product, try reducing Dickel No. 12 to 86 proof. It too is 10yo Dickel with the only difference being the proof and the bottle.

Mike Veach
If you like Tennessee whiskey, try the Dickel Special Barrel Reserve 10yo. It's hard to find, but worth seeking out. Also, watch for a new batch of Sazerac Rye to be released this month. It's one of the best whiskies of any variety or style that I have ever tasted.

[This message has been edited by SpeedyJohn (edited 07 September 2001).]</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Veach

Postby Dana » Fri Jun 28, 2002 8:18 pm

Knob creek is a favorite mine as well.Bakers
is a much more unpublicized bourbon but well
worth trying.
It has a sour mash yeasty flavor to it.The finish is as long but milder than Knob Creek. It is hard to believe it packs about a 107 {USA}proof versus about 100{USA}proof forKnob Creek.
Dana

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder