Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Macallan 12 yr old

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Macallan 12 yr old

Postby BruceCrichton » Fri Jun 07, 2002 4:11 pm

Just got the lastest 'Whisky Magazine' in and a guy has written a letter in praising Macallan 12 yr old which is only available outside the UK.

I just had some when I was in Holland for a couple of days and I wondered if anyone agrees with me that it's the best whisky ever.

It's certainly better than the 10 yr old standard and better than the 18 yr old bottlings I've had and better than the 1861 which would have cost me £100.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Nodin » Fri Jun 07, 2002 9:11 pm

Hmm, not sure abouut the best whisky ever but it is damn good stuff! Had the standard 10yo while i was in the homeland last month and it really doesn't (IMHO) hold a candle to the 12yo...
Taa,
Nodin
Nodin

Postby MaltMan » Wed Jun 19, 2002 10:06 am

I live in The Netherlands but I do nt enjoy a Macallan 12 at all. I've had it a couple of times now and I just don't see why this whisky is so good. Do not get me wrong, it is certainly not a bad whisky, but I think it is just a bit too sherry-ish.
So, to answer your question, I do not agree with people who find teh Mac 12 the best whisky in the world.
Slainte!
MaltMan

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jun 20, 2002 2:19 pm

I do like the Macallan too, the 10Y old is lighter in taste then the 12Y old. I do too live in the Netherlands, and get my stuff here aswell. The 18Y old is richer in flavor and smell, however the 18Y old Gran Reserva is dryer in taste. Ofcourse I do like some older Macallan, like a 30Y old, but then again if you travel a lot why not fancy the Macallan Travel series, the 20's and 50's are something special, the 30's and 40's has a dash of peat in it, or go for their new product, wich is going to launched soon in the duty free shops in Holland.......
I think that Macallan is an understanding in the world of whisky, and they have a good reputation.

Slainte,

Erik

[This message has been edited by Huurman (edited 20 June 2002).]
Deactivated Member

Postby hpulley » Fri Jun 21, 2002 6:52 pm

I'm not a big fan of Speysides or Highlanders in general but I find The Macallan 18yo and 12yo to both be among the most boring and least likable whiskies I've ever tried. I'll take The Balvenie, Auchroisk, Knockando, Old Pulteney, et al over The Macallan any night.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Dana » Fri Jun 28, 2002 8:28 pm

If you like the Macallan 12 year old you should try the Glenfarclas 10 year old{haven't tried the 12 year old].It manages
to integrate the sherry and whisky flavors
equally if not better than the 12 year old Macallan.
Dana

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jun 29, 2002 7:15 am

It's still a matter of personal taste. I do love The Macallan very much, but some of you will go for a nice Glenfarclas, or a Glenrothes, just to name a few. But how ever it's still open for a discussion, wich means you hear different opinions about a Macallan, or about other brands....

Slainte,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder