Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

tasting last night

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

tasting last night

Postby whiskgeek » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:21 am

My dad and I held a tasting last night, that was themed on independent bottlings. We held it at The Union House, in Genesee Depot, Wisconsin. The malts were chosen by the bar owner with some direction from us. They were:

Tomatin Gordon & MacPhail 13-year 1994 (43% abv.)
Glenrothes Signatory 11-year 1999 (46%)
Bowmore Murray McDavid 8-year (46%)
Longmorn Signatory 18-year 1992 )46%)
Bunnahabbhain Duncan Taylor 12-year 1997 (46%)
Bunnahabbhain Signatory 9-year 2001 (46%)

The Tomatin was Tomatin. I'm not that familiar with Glenrothes, but this one seemed pretty consistent with the others, which I thought were pretty consistent with each other.

The Bowmore was a bit odd, but independent bottlings can be. Many people agreed that it tasted like fuel oil. Several said that with time and/or water, that note lessened.

You can't really go wrong with a Longmorn, in my experience, and this one was no exception.

I liked the Bunnahabbhains a lot, especially the Duncan Taylor. The peat seemed stronger than the usual Bunnas, and there was no sherry. The Signatory was odd, again. The nose did not match the palate. On more than one sip, I got a big taste of chocolate. Not the usual chocolate notes in the back of the mouth, but big, dry and bitter, filling the mouth. It reminded me or Oreo cookies, or the like.

We had fifteen people, including myself. Afterward, we retired to the bar, where other samples were had, including Glenfiddich 30, Glenburgie 26 and Bruichladdich Blacker Still, which are all most excellent - or so I am told, because the first person there finished the 'Fiddich. A couple of us also finished off that Laddie.

Sorry my notes aren't more in-depth, but I'm not very good at that. I'd be interested on other's thoughts on these malts, or anything else related, for that matter.
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Re: tasting last night

Postby MARS » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:20 am

I agree with your statement that you can't go wrong with a longmorn.
Have only one bad experience with this distillery, a too oaky 13 years old from dun bheagan (3 cask).
MARS

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder