Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

How long does whisky last once opened?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

How long does whisky last once opened?

Postby Nic Rhodes » Mon Jul 01, 2002 9:41 pm

I would be interested in how long people think malt can last once the bottle has been opened?
Nic Rhodes
Bronze Member

Postby jobarez » Tue Jul 02, 2002 8:38 pm

I dont know. But i do know that every time you open the bottle you let in air that slowley kills the good taste.
jobarez

Postby Ize » Wed Jul 03, 2002 5:45 am

Go to Questions & Answers Forum and search or just find manually topic "Storage?" or just click here -> http://www.whiskymag.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000081.html

New window will be opened from the link, sorry the inconvenience.

Kippis,
Ize

[This message has been edited by Ize (edited 03 July 2002).]
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Ileach » Wed Jul 03, 2002 5:46 am

And I know that every time I open a bottle of malt some of its contents seem to magically disappear and on one sad day all's gone!
Ileach

Postby yorkie » Thu Jul 04, 2002 8:22 pm

And as you get older the time from full to empty seems to shorten as the measures get larger!
yorkie

Postby MaltMan » Thu Jul 04, 2002 9:43 pm

My experience is that when you store your whisky in a cool (NOT cold) and dark place AND you use a good cork you will be able to store the whisky about 6 months before changes in taste will occur.

It also depends on the ratio whisky:air in the bottle, the emptier the bottle, the faster changes will occur.

Sometimes when it's been a while since you last had a drink from an already opened bottle it seems that the taste has changed. But if you add just a little bit of water (a drop or 2 will do fine) and let the whisky 'breathe' for a minute, it will usually recover from the long and quiet period in de cold and dark place it has been.

Sweet drams!

MaltMan

[This message has been edited by MaltMan (edited 04 July 2002).]
MaltMan

Postby Ian_Hamilton » Thu Jul 04, 2002 10:10 pm

I dont know how long and i think it may differ from one brand or even age to another but after opened I always try to finish the bottle before six months has passed since opening it, I usually have ten bottles going at any time.

Yeh, I know its a tough job to have them all finished but someone has to do it,
Cheers
Ian
Ian_Hamilton
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder