Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardbeg Uigeadial

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Ardbeg Uigeadial

Postby Stephen » Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:09 am

i had Ardbeg Uigeadial recently, i thought it is a different Ardbeg.
Let's review Michael Jackson and Dave Broom's tasting ntoes:
http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/a ... y1773.html

MJ's comment is interesting and allusive, "The elemental opposite of the sophisticated Lord of the Isles".
DB's comment seems implicative, "Some dram!"

My tasting note:
Ardbeg Uigeadial is strange,fruit fragrance is too few, but some woody and the similar Chinese native medicine fragrance instead. Although the sense of smell (leaf, wood) and the feeling in the mouth are actually rich (peat, acid, smoking, peppermint, tobacco), but the body punctures me very much, in the whole is uncoordinated. i think it is because of vatting the young and the old.

Has anyone tasted it?
Tell me your feeling, thanks!
Stephen
Bronze Member

Postby ragsrobin » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:18 am

I think I'm more in line with MJ and DB than you - I'm surprised at your characterisation of "uncoordinated". I'd call it "smooth with a punch", myself. One thing that came through clearly when I did a comparison tasting with LOTI is that the Uigeadail is surprisingly easy to drink, even without adding water. The LOTI is more spirity, though it's actually bottled at a much lower strength. I suppose this parlty comes down to the use of ex-sherry casks for the Uigeadail as sherry-influences does have a tendency to mask the alchohol.

It's a cracking dram! :D
ragsrobin

Postby Admiral » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:53 pm

I thought the Uigeadail was an absolute beauty.

Rich, majestic, powerful punch, bonfire smoke (yet with surprising fragrance & sweetness).

It was Ardbeg on steroids :)

The LOTI seemed more refined & subtle.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:38 pm

Let's hope it's available to taste at the Whisky Fringe event.

I was going to get it last Christmas but I was rather skint and I was very well stocked.

See you in Dufftown next month Ragnhild.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Stephen » Thu Aug 05, 2004 12:34 am

Here are some information form Glenmorangie plc website:
Ardbeg Uigeadail - pronounced 'Oog-a-dal' - takes its name from the loch on Islay that has supplied water to Ardbeg distillery for centuries.

This premium expression has been created from specially selected casks from 1990, 1993 plus much older, sherry cask-matured Ardbeg. The resulting malt is true to the 'house style' but with an additional luscious richness.

'house style' with an additional luscious richness?
But i think 'house style' is rich enough.
OK, i will taste Uigeadail again in some days, i hope it will give me a different and nice experience.
Stephen
Bronze Member

Postby ragsrobin » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:50 am

Well, if you decide you really don't want the rest of the bottle, feel free to send it to me - I can promise it a good home ;)

I can't believe we're already talking about "next month", Bruce - it feels like we came back from the spring festival only a few weeks ago... Not that I'm not looking forward to going this time ;) See you!
ragsrobin

Postby BruceCrichton » Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:28 pm

Stuart is like you. "Where has this year gone?" he often wails. I have a number of events to look forward to between now and then. Hopefully I'll get to taste that expression at one of them.

Stephen should send the Uigedeal to the Dregs party. Arve should have his early as, by later on, an old sock will taste good judging by the condition he was in at the last dregs party. 8)
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder