Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Jim Beam/rye and cauliflower

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Jim Beam Rye

Jim Beam/rye and cauliflower

Postby r0b » Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:31 pm

Greets, all!

Recently I had a tasting of Jim Beam white, black and rye (yellow). Outside influence was deliberately minimized by making the tasting panel as small as possible. I was alone. :]

I noticed a trend in JB: cauliflower on the nose. I've never seen this description before (not that that puts me off using it) and I'm wondering if any other whiskry drinkers have noticed it?

It was most disclusing while trying Jim Beam Rye, Rittenhouse Straight Rye, Wild Turket Rye and my fave Pikesville Straight Rye. After this session, I knew my tastebuds had not been lined up in an execution, but were in fact quite right: I tasted the JB white and Black afterwards and... Whaddayknow - same thing.
r0b
Bronze Member

Postby brian12069 » Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:11 pm

I think you had to much Jim Beam...LOL :lol:
brian12069
Bronze Member

Postby r0b » Mon Aug 09, 2004 1:46 am

I wondered who'd be the first to say that :)

I think it's the mix of young/green corn and rye that manifests itself in this way for me. I've sensed this slightly in Old Crow and Ancient Age (standard) too.
r0b
Bronze Member

Postby brian12069 » Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:00 am

Rob...you try Beam Green Label?...I have a bottle here...pretty good.
brian12069
Bronze Member

Postby skywalker » Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:45 am

I once experienced the smell of white cabbage in a Macallan SMWS bourbon cask bottling.......
skywalker

JB's a bit stinky

Postby bamber » Mon Aug 09, 2004 12:28 pm

I know what you mean. My parents recently brought me back bottles of JB black and white label (from a small Spanish Island) and I was so convinced they were moonshine I had to go out and get a bottle of JB form the supermarket for comparison. It was that funny nose that did it.

Really did not like JB.

Having really enjoyed Bookers, I was able to enjoy JB black occasionally and now even JB white is drinkable.

Solution: Buy some Bookers :)
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby clayton jr » Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:14 pm

I bought a bottle of JB Rye last week, myself. I'd finished my first bottle of rye, the Wild Turkey Rye, and really enjoyed it. Time to try another. Unfortunately, I can't stand the JB Rye.

The primary nose I get from this is black licorice. Since I don't like black licorice, this is not a good thing. I've tried it a few times since opening it, and always get the same thing.

I also don't care much for cauliflower, so maybe I'm unconsciously picking up some of what r0b was talking about. :)

I'm glad I had the WT Rye first, otherwise I might have been wary of ryes all together.
clayton jr

Postby r0b » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:16 pm

Skywalker: I once experienced the smell of white cabbage in a Macallan SMWS bourbon cask bottling.......

Funny you should mention that since I get that in JB white, black and rye, too. I can't make out what in their recipe generates these flavours and I've never noticed them in any other bourbons, ryes or malts.

clayton jr: "I'm glad I had the WT Rye first, otherwise I might have been wary of ryes all together.

You nailed it right on the head there, methinks. The first rye I had was Pikesville and it was so incredibly refreshing and different from what I usually drank (malts) that after the 2nd tasting, it reached the top 10 whisk(e)ys for me (scoring 94/100). Barring Sazerac and Old Potrero (haven't had the pleasure of trying them yet) I think WT Rye is the most powerful and balanced. Incredible stuff. I'm gonna pour myself one now, in fact!
r0b
Bronze Member

Postby r0b » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:17 pm

brian12069 wrote:Rob...you try Beam Green Label?...I have a bottle here...pretty good.

No, never tried the green and frankly, I'm not too eager to do so either.
r0b
Bronze Member

Related whiskies : Jim Beam Rye

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder