Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Jamesons

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Postby Admiral » Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:58 am

Jim Murray would appear to agree with you also.

In his book, "The Complete Guide to Whisky", he says that the 10yo definitely needs a few more years to reach its peak. The 16yo is then reviewed quite favourably, adding that there is more "complexity".
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:34 am

That there is, no doubt about it.

Also don't forget that the 16yr old is called "three wood" indicating it's been finished in sherry and port casks. That might be part of the reason for the more developed flavour profile.

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:59 pm

Bushmills 16yo 3-wood is too 'developed' IMO. There isn't much whisky taste left, just port and sherry. I prefer it over the 10yo but it is just a simple dessert dram to me, not sophisticated. I find there isn't much there other than fortified wine.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:46 pm

I'll have to go back to the pub to try it again.

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:56 pm

Harry:

A thought had occured to me. The 10yr Bushmills is largly uninteresting (by and large) and the 16 yr old gets it's personality from it's finish. I have some questions as to how interesting the 16 or 21 yr old would be without finishes. Perhaps the Bushmills "canvas" is bland on it's own, and needs finishes.

BTW, I'm thinking of the 21yr old Bushmills (madira finish) coming in the Vintages magazine. Although I'm not a great fan of Bushmills generally, $130 cdn for a 21yr old is a great deal. Enough to think about it anyway...

Regards
Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby bond » Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:42 am

Having realised I could not possibly finish my bottle of Bushmills 10 YO, I have hit upon a novel idea to ensure the contents do not entirely go waste.

Have begun serving it with large doses of Baileys (Irish Cream). The women folk just love it!
bond
Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Tue Oct 19, 2004 8:27 pm

Bond:

You have expensive tastes :D :D :D . While I don't think it's really good, I would be tempted to keep it around for when money is short. Or you can offer it to friends saying "would you like a shot of SINGLE MALT, eh" :?: :?: :?: .

Dumping Bushmills in Baileys seems almost... sacralige :!: :!: :!: . Does it really taste that undrinkable... :shock:

Regards
Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby bond » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:59 am

Frodo wrote:Bond:

Or you can offer it to friends saying "would you like a shot of SINGLE MALT, eh" :?: :?: :?: .

Regards
Frodo

Frodo:

THAT is in an invaluable suggestion. Shall certainly implement. Cheers!!
bond
Gold Member

Postby bamber » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:17 am

After knocking Jameson's at the beginning of this thread, I find myself drinking it more and more regularly lately and am really starting to like it ! A very distinctive whisky full of character is how I would now describe it now !

Planning to get some Jameson Gold ASAP.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:14 pm

Also don't forget the 12yr and 18yr old expressions. The 12yr is VERY sherried and the 18yr old is MMMMMMMMM good good good, silky silky silky. :) :) :) .
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:15 am

I don't think Bushmills 10 is that bad, although it's not particularly to my tastes.

Jameson 12 is really top notch, if you like that kind of whiskey. Jameson 18, I think, is similar but better. The price difference means I'll pretty much stick to the 12 yr old.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:22 am

Bamber:

Did you get the Jameson Gold. If so, how was it? I do kind of wonder how it differs from the 12 or 18yr. Aidan??

Harry:

Welcome to the Jameson appretiation society. FYI, I was told that a store I know had the 18yr Jameson on delist sale $80 down to $65 but stopped the sale after the Spirit of Toronto show. You may want to keep your eye open for this kind of thing in your neck of the woods.

Aidan:

I know what you mean about the value of Bushmills 10yr relative to Jameson 12. However, I did like the ability to taste the whisky without all the sherry a la Black Bush or Jameson 12. And the Bushmills 16 and 21 are finished in varying casks so that in Ontario, this is the only expression of Bushmills single malt that I can get a good feel for the "bare bones" whisky. I would like to try the Bushmills 1608, but I can't get it here, and I'm afraid of how much it'll cost when my friend decides to go to Ireland.

Regards
Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:28 am

Frodo

I don't know whether all the talk convinced me to like the Jameson Gold, but I really did. I bought a bottle in Munich airport for only 34 euro, but it's long finished now. There is a much different taste from the wood, I think. Much more vanilla and lots of honey. I can't really remember, but am smelling an empty bottle now. If anyone saw me.

I have a few different Bushmills from different casks. I have a rum cask, burbon cask and a sherry cask. I'm just collecting them though and don't plan on drinking them, for a while anyway.

The 1608 isn't that expensive. Someone has just picked up a bottle for me in London (Heathrow) and it was £25 for 1 liter - this was not the duty free price as EU laws... It hasn't been delivered to me yet, but I read in Jim Murray's book that it is more sherried of late.

I'd like to see a new edition Jameson out. Barry Walsh has retired, and maybe the new man Billy Leighton might have some ideas.

Aidan
Aidan

Postby bamber » Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:39 am

Frodo,

Got the Jameson's Gold, along with some WT (Wild Turkey) Sherry Signature (not great) and some Ballantines 17YO (great !).

But... Not opened it yet - it's been assigned to my Xmas Medley, along with Ardbeg '77, WT 12. It's in a lovely bottle and I have a really good feeling about it. Anyway will let you know.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:19 pm

Frodo, I only see it in the database at $80 but I'll check the store to see if they have anything with a cheaper label. I've gotten some exellent deals lately that way! I got '85 17yo Bladnoch and '80 23yo Brora for $150 total since they were delisted! And just picked up some Ardbeg 17 at $99. Of course this doesn't always work in your favor as I picked up Bowmore Darkest and Clynelish 10yo shortly before they went on sale for $10 off each :(

Back to Irish whisky, I do enjoy the Jameson 18yo but at $80 I think I'll get Redbreast 12yo instead. I think they're about equal in quality but the Redbreast is only $38.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:28 pm

I have very little experience with Irish whisky as we have only 6 different types here in BC however there are several new types from Busmills arrving for Christmas. Does anybody have any comments on them?

Bushmills Malt 16
Bushmills Single Cask Bourbon Barrel
Bushmills Single Cask Sherry Hogshead
Bushmills Single Cask Rum Barrel
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby hpulley » Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:58 pm

I've only had the 16yo, which is finished in bourbon, sherry and port casks and I find it an interesting dessert dram but there isn't much whisky left after that triple maturation so I think it is more of a gimmick than a good whisky.

Looks like Bushmills has gone hog(shead) wild!

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:17 am

Harry

The 16 yr old is one of my favorate Bushmills. I don't think the finishings are gimiky at all - the house style comes shining through for me - it could only be Bushmills. However, I am not a huge Bushmills fan because I find it a bit like Glenmorangie - too fruity, and the wrong fruits too.

Anyway, I'm getting to like Bushmills more and more, and maybe one day I'll love it.
Aidan

Postby Frodo » Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:42 am

I find it is a really nice pour. The issue I have is that it's hard to get to the taste of the whisky through the port. But I guess that's the problem with alot of finishes. The thing about Bushmills is that it isn't a beligerent style by any means. So finishing it is probably fairly hard to do if you want to retain it's characteristics front and center. It's not like Bowmore or Lagavulin who can wear the finish without losing that Islay character.

Just a thought
Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

cooley...

Postby Eirik » Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:23 pm

how about millars? what do think of that? or lockers?
expencive?no, but pleasant?

thanks
Eirik
Eirik

Postby Lawrence » Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:44 pm

I've never heard of them, can you give some more info on them? Age etc? Thanks.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Aidan » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:02 am

I had Locke's 8 yr old last night at a tasting comeptition. It was very nice indeed, although I dont' think it's rated all that highly. Good value and a very pleasent malt indeed. I had it a number of years ago and really liked it then. Wasn't as nice this time but still quite good. I haven't had the Millers yet.
Aidan

Postby Eirik » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:05 am

millars special reserve is a blend produced by cooley...and locker's too! :P
Eirik

Postby Frodo » Sat Nov 13, 2004 8:56 am

8yr old Loche's is on sale at the LCBO for $75 cdn right now. Fancy ceramic jug comes with it too. The problem is that for $75 I can buy 2x Redbrest, and I'm not sure Locke's is worth that kind of scratch. Too bad, 'cause I'm curious. I did try another bottling of locke's - A fancier one with no age statement (limited vatting, $125cdn a bottle - thank you LCBO tasting tower). Nice, but not $125 cdn.

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:19 am

That's an outrageous price to pay for Lockes - it's much cheaper over here. I wouldn't pay that for it anyway.
Aidan

Previous

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder