Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Cragganmore and McClelland's Highland

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Cragganmore and McClelland's Highland

Postby SasquatchMan » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:48 am

Okay, dropped a dime today on some new bottles.... so....

I tasted the McClelland's first, and was really happily surpised.
Colour: straw/copper
Nose: Sherry, followed by honey and heather

On tasting, the heathery notes stayed throughout, adding a sort of herbal sweetness to the whole experience. This is a spicy malt - almost like a Bourbon, but dominated by malty flavours underneath, rather than the sweeter corn derived flavour in bourbon. Finish returns to the original sherry note, taking me right back where I started.

Slighlty darker, the Cragganmore has hardly any nose at all, in comparison. Much more subdued, it just says "Speyside" to me, and that's about it. Alcohol?
This hits with almost a salty initial bite, then proceeds to generate a lager type of flavour - proving once again that whiskey and beer are related. Almost sour after swallowing (reminding me of Grant's), the aftertaste is long and the stuff comes across as very smooth overrall because of this.

I think the Cragganmore goes down the throat a little easier - a guy could taste this and play with it and find himself quite drunk with little trouble. The McClellands I actually think I prefer the flavour of, if only because it's such an interesting melding of light notes, spice, and malt. I'm impressed with it.

On another note altogether, I noticed Bowmore 12 was the cheapest single malt at the store - just over $20 Cdn, which surprised me greatly. To compare, Aberlour 10 $33, Ardbeg 10 $52, Glenfarclas 10 $46. Seems like Bowmore's a hell of a deal around here.

Cheers to all.
SasquatchMan
Bronze Member

Postby Frodo » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:04 pm

Damm: Sounds like you got a good deal on the Bowmore. In Ontario, the LCBO wants $45-47 cdn for a bottle of the 12 yr old. Still a good deal compared to others at that price point.

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder