Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Cragganmore Revisited

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Cragganmore Revisited

Postby SasquatchMan » Sat Aug 28, 2004 3:06 am

On a fresh palate, I thought I'd give this dram another go.

Nose - hint of sherry and an undercurrent of something reminiscent of pipe tobacco.

There is a Glenlivet-esque mouthfeel - velvety and smooth, with no real bite at all. Is there a little bit of peat in this? The aftertaste actually does more flavor-wise than the initial hit on the tongue does. Strange combination of long but oddly dry.

This is a really lovely mellow drink, and a guy can easily work a couple of these into his belly. Warming but not firey, this is a very friendly malt, and as the weather turns colder in a few months, I can see this stuff becoming a staple.
SasquatchMan
Bronze Member

Postby bond » Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:41 pm

Have not managed to get the sherry on the nose, in fact probably the only spey which I have had which did not.... Agree on the pipe tobacco bit.

Cragganmore is probably one the most balanced malts going. It is not overbearingly peaty and yet provides enough complexity on the palate. Long, memorable finish.

Have tried the 16yo and that is a true classic too.
bond
Gold Member

Postby SasquatchMan » Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:31 pm

That nosing was done dead fresh - no food, no whisky for hours ahead. As indicated in my previous thread, a McClelland's before the Cragganmore absolutely devestated my ability to discern much of anything from the much more subtly Crag. The 16yr may be next...
SasquatchMan
Bronze Member

Postby Admiral » Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:07 am

I haven't seen any 16yo releases in this neck of the woods....is that a distillery bottling, or an independant?

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby bond » Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:15 am

It is a distillery bottling.

The nose is very similar to the 12 YO. The palate, a little more robust (gun metal??)
bond
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder