Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Dew Of Ben Nevis 12 year old

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Dew Of Ben Nevis 12 year old

Postby BruceCrichton » Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:41 am

I am a big fan of the 'Dew of Ben Nevis' series of blended whiskies, particularly the common or garden variety or 'Special Reserve' which has a red label.

I have just cracked open a bottle of 12 year old blended whisky which costs about £20 from the distillery minus the pruice of a tour, if you take one.

The start is rather off-putting and slightly underweight and spirity. Perservere, however, and you will be rewarded with one of the sweetest whiskies ever and certainly the sweetest blend I have tasted. It is almost liqueurish and has strong overtones of honey and syrup. It is also decidely moreish in nature so be careful. It gets smooter and smoother the further down the glass you get, unlike some other whiskies, so pour yourself a large measure.

In the same category, it beats Chivas Regal 12 year old hands down. It is almost completely different from Bell's 12 year old and Johnnie Walker's 12 year old and offers something to the palate that drinkers of these blends may not have encountered before.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder