Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Macallan Elegancia

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : The Macallan Elegancia

Macallan Elegancia

Postby Gate » Tue Oct 08, 2002 10:14 am

I have just got back with a litre of this stuff (picked up at Gatwick World of Whiskies, so maybe it's a duty-free only variant), which describes itself as distilled in 1990 and bottled in 2002, and from not only oloroso barrels but also fino barrels. No idea what it tastes like yet, but I shall enjoy finding out! But I was surprised and excited to come across it - I've read nothing about it and it was a real surprise. Has anyone had it/is there a tasting note coming up in a forthcoming Whisky Mag?
Gate
Silver Member

Postby MacAndersson » Thu Oct 10, 2002 2:31 pm

Macallan 12 YO will not be available as duty-free at airports any more. It has been replaced by the Macallan Elegancia. In the end same thing really. The price is around 38 Euro/litre.
MacAndersson

Postby Gate » Fri Oct 11, 2002 8:15 am

Cool; I've never had the Macallan 12, but have heard great things about it. If the existing 12 is the same thing as the Elegancia, that might explain why some people say it's strikingly better than the 10 (different use of wood, distillate from an individual year - or at least mostly from that year - etc.).
Gate
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:13 pm

Hi,

Some months ago I had a sneak previeuw tasting on The Macallan Elegancia, and it's completely different what you normally should expect from the Macallan, and it will be only availlable at the duty free shops, however here in Holland are couple of guys who will probably to sell it outside the duty free business, wich usually means: you pay a lot more.....

Slaint,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Oliver » Tue Oct 15, 2002 9:35 pm

Hi All,

I would very much like to get my hands on a bottle of Elegancia. However, I live in the US where it seems not to be available (correct me if I;m wrong --please). I am hoping there are some "US only" releases that might interest those folks who have access to Elegancia. An exchange of sorts is what I 'm proposing --if anyone's interested. Thanks.
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby Pedorstroika » Sun Mar 21, 2004 12:59 pm

I got a bottle of Elegancia some time ago, and I'm near reaching the bottom now. Indeed it is sold in non-duty-free shops in Holland and there it is quite more expensive than 38 euro. I still think it was worth it.
Good whisky for me
Pedorstroika

Postby Admiral » Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:17 pm

The Macallan's Elegancia went on sale in the Duty Free shops here in Australia nearly 18 months ago.

The regular 12yo is widely available in normal liquor stores, so it is very easy here to compare the regular 12yo with the Elegancia. However, we do not get the regular 10yo.

As correctly described above, the Elegancia uses a portion of fino casks in the vatting.

I found the Elegancia a fascinating dram. Many of the Macallan trademarks were there, with a spicy nose, raisins & fruitcake on the palate, and a rich sweetness that drifted through the nose, palate, and a reasonably long finish.

However, the distinctive difference was that everything was "sharper", i.e. perhaps not as smooth & mellowed, but with a little more bite. I am told that this is the contribution of the fino, which introduces less-rounded characteristics than oloroso.

But was it nice & enjoyable? You bet!!! :)

Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Peatfreak » Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:21 am

12 yo and elegancia are very much different animals - long live 12 yo you people not in uk are so so lucky!!!!
Peatfreak

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 23, 2004 12:17 pm

Admiral,

Have you tryed the 1991 Elegancia yet? Much bigger then the 1990. I loved the taste very much. Have notes from both 1990 and 1991 and must say big difference, ofcourse not all the distillation years including selecting the casks are the same, so there's always a difference.

Cheers,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:14 am

No, I haven't tried the later release. I don't travel overseas very often, so it's a rare opportunity to purchase duty free.

(Don't forget, we are much more isolated here in Australia, and it is a big task to travel to another country, whereas in Europe it is much easier! :) )

My experience with most whiskies is that anytime a distillery brings out a new expression, the first (or early) release is great, but the later releases are usually inferior.

Some examples of this are Bowmore Darkest; Glenmorangie Port Wood Finish; Lagavulin Distillers Edition.

It would be a rare case if Macallan made the 1991 Elegancia better than the first release, but I am pleased to hear that you think it is better.
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:26 am

Admiral,

Each vintage year has its own caractheristics and the future 1992 Elegancia might bring something else, somethig different. Based on that it is very personal, one might like the 1990 while the other likes the present 1991 Elegancia. It's the quality you look for in both expressions and I must say they are both quite good, but my personal preference is the 1991 Elegancia.

It's a shame that for you that some products are hard to get in Down Under. They should do something about it.

Erik
Deactivated Member

Related whiskies : The Macallan Elegancia

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder