Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glenmorangie and Ardbeg tasting

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Glenmorangie and Ardbeg tasting

Postby Aidan » Sun Sep 12, 2004 7:31 am

I was at a tasting hosted by Bill Lumsden from Glenmorangie the other day. On the menu was

Glenmorangie 10
Glenmorangie 9 yr Artisan cask
Glenmorangie Port wood finish
Glenmorangie Tain L'Hermitage
Ardbeg 6 yr old cask strength
Ardbeg 10 yr old
Ardbeg Lord of the Isles.

Personally, I don't like the Glenmorangie 10, but the Artisan cask was very good. Not as fruity and more dry. An amazing difference.

The Ardbeg 6 yr old was very good. It's the new distiller's test bottling of their own spirit. Very good. I think they should bottle it and sell it.

The 10 yro old and the Lord of the Isles you probably know about. I love them both.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:44 pm

Isn't the 6yo cask strength Ardbeg the latest Committee Bottling that they're bottling under the name "Very Young Ardbeg"?

Bill is great at doing tastings for his portfolio. Great sense of humour, but you know you're also dealing with a genuine expert. I admire his passion for "releasing the serpent", but disagree with his insistence that we should add water.

That was quite a line up though. I'm very jealous!

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Adding water

Postby bamber » Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:16 pm

Just to pick up on the issue of adding water, whilst at Heathrow airport a couple of weeks ago, I got to try some Glenmorangie products at one of the shops.

The lady hosting the tasting became extremely agitated when I would not add water to a 46% whisky, and flushed with anger when I tried some cask strength Glenmoranige without it.

Personally I drink all whisky straight, except Macallan cask strength, but usually try them with and without water when its a new one.

BTW, must try that very young Ardbeg.

Cheers,

B.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:33 pm

Isn't the 6yo cask strength Ardbeg the latest Committee Bottling that they're bottling under the name "Very Young Ardbeg"?

Indeed, few weeks ago the committee memebers received a postcard saying the responces were so positive they decided to release it as a OB. Heard form my shop it will be on the shelves later this month in Holland.

Popped open my second bottle just yesterday I bought, it's an awesome dram.
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:59 pm

Admiral

You must be right, as it said very young Ardbeg on the bottle. I thought it was just something they were playing around with and had not released.

The tasting went very well, and I have a much better appreciation for the Glenmorangies.

I don't think the Artisan cask Glenmorangie is released yet - I would recommend you pick up some if you see it.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Stephen » Mon Sep 13, 2004 3:42 am

i haven't try Glenmorangie 10yo,but i don't like Glenmorangie's house style, and i think lots of caramel make Glenmorangie Port wood finish display another kind of style and cover the Glenmorangie's original style, they create Wood Finish (the attention: I am use " create" this phrase) a completely different style.

But,Glenmorangie Tain L'Hermitage is the best Glenmorangie i haven't taste that shows the balance of L'Hermitage's style and Glenmorangie's style.

Ardbeg very young、10yo and Lord of the Isles are both the style of Ardbeg i love.
Last edited by Stephen on Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen
Bronze Member

Postby Admiral » Mon Sep 13, 2004 4:34 am

Stephen said,

i haven't try Glenmorangie 10yo, but i don't like Glenmorangie's house style

At the risk of sounding a little bemused, how can you say you don't like the Glenmorangie house-style if you haven't tried their flagship (and hence most house-representative) malt? :?

Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Stephen » Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:50 am

These Glenmorangies i have tried:
Glenmorangie 18yo
Glenmorangie 25yo
Glenmorangie BURGUNDY FINISH
Glenmorangie MADEIRA FINISH
Glenmorangie SHERRY FINISH
Glenmorangie PORT FINISH
Glenmorangie Traditional Cask Strength
Glenmorangie 1975 - Tain L'Hermitage 28yo
Glenmorangie 1981 - Sauternes Finish
Stephen
Bronze Member

Postby lucabeer » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:21 am

Actually the 6yo Ardbeg has just been released officially!

In the past months, it was only available to Committee members: now it's an official bottling. You can buy it from http://www.ardbeg.com!
lucabeer

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder