Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Milford 10 yr old

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Milford 10 Years Old

Milford 10 yr old

Postby Frodo » Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:05 pm

Query:

Has anyone tried the Milford 10yr old from New Zealand? It's in our liquor stores for a limited time so I thought I might pick it up - for the novelty of it so to speak. The reviews by DB and MJ elsewhere on the website absolutly pan the stuff. I'd just like an honest reaction from anyone who's tried it.

Regards
Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:55 am

Frodo,

I've tried it once or twice, and it is quite drinkable whisky.

However, just don't expect it to taste like scotch. If you are expecting a scotch-like malt, you will be disappointed and not enjoy the experience.

If you set your mind to tasting something "different", then you'll find it's a reasonable whisky with an interesting flavour profile.

My only negative comment about it is that it can seem a little spirity. But then, I've had plenty of speysiders that fit that description also!

Hope that helps,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby lexkraai » Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:12 am

I must say I was very disappointed with the Milford 10 y.o. And that's not because I was expecting a Scottish single malt; I've tasted single malts (and other whiskies) from a wide range of countries and know very well to keep an open mind.

The reason for my disappointment is that I have tasted a range of other expressions from this distillery (their OB Lammerlaw 10 y.o.; a Meehan bottling, a Cadenhead bottling and the Milford bottling at 12 y.o.). All of these, for me, are far superior to the Milford 10 y.o. I had a strong feeling the casks used for this are very very tired. There is pretty good malt coming out of the distillery (especially shown by the Cadenhead and the Meehan bottlings), but that didn't find its way in the Milford 10 y.o.

Cheers, Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby Admiral » Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:05 pm

That's actually a pretty fair assessment, Alex, and something I didn't think of. I've also tried the Lammerlaw, and last year at the Australian Malt Whisky Convention, I tried about 4 or 5 samples of their malt that was at various ages and strengths, varying from 10 to 13 years. None of these had been released yet, and I think one of them had even had a finishing phase of maturation in a second wood. These were all mostly enjoyable, but you are correct - the Milford 10yo is not as good as the other distillates that came from these stills.
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:12 pm

I tried Cadenhead's Lamerlaw (10 yr old?) and liked it. That's my only experience of it, though.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:33 pm

Many thanks folks. It was between the Milford 10yr old, and a 12 yr old signatory bottling of Brakla (sherry casked) both at similar prices. Although I don't much go for sherry casked whiskies - in my opinion, they can block some of the taste of the whisky - this one looks interesting. And I've never had Brakla, although MJ and DB both rated well. Any feedback on that one (I know, I know, off thread again)?

Regards
Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Related whiskies : Milford 10 Years Old

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder